Next Time Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
The mobile woke me from my thoughts as I travelled past Pride lake heading Southwards on the M1.
The time was 7.15 am and it was Martin, ringing to confirm that he and Sammy had arrived at the Services by Junction 2 of the A50.
Today we were to try and have him emulate Darryls feat of Sunday and catch a River Barbel!

Sammy, fresh from her MRI scan ordeal was happy to try and copy Teepee and catch a Chub!

The morning was bright, clear and sunny and promised to be great for the fishing!
However, I was vaguely disquieted, because, although the weather seemed much better, yesterday on the Dove,, I had seen the temperature fall to 60 degrees as cold water came down from the hills!

Finishing a welcome coffee, I led Martin quickly to the PAD meadow.

He was itching to get started and after a brief tour of the pegs that had produced on Sunday, happily took Peg 2 where Darryl had the 8 pounder and connected with 4 more.
Although not used to fishing this type of water, Martin had all the necessary kit , baits as normally used, plus a few specials that I could not disagree with, such as steak! And was well set up.

Datafile.jpg

Sammy had settled down in Peg 4, where Tony had taken his chub and was relaxing after the drive in glorious sunshine.

Datafile.jpg

I went to Peg 7 and set up a stick float..
I took a long while to do this, as I wandered back down to see how Martin was doing frequently as I was more concerned that he caught than I.

Unfortunately, my fears were realised with the River!
It was up, not much, but enough to have a strong flow on and it was colder!

Loose weed was more of a problem too! And Martin was finding difficulty in maintaining a still presentation.
Sammy had ,on seeing peg 1, expressed an interest in it and decided to move and try there.

I finally set up the stick, set the depth from memory (too idle to plumb) and started fishing.

Feeding Hemp and maggots from my bait Apron, I fished a 14 Catana with a 7BB float..

After a while , the feed took effect and I caught 4 or 5 small Perch.

About 12.00 we had another visitor, as Angler Mark , our Bailiff arrived.

Finding me in his favourite peg, he set up on peg 6 after showing me his depth gauge on my platform and informing me that I had 611 of water at 2 rod lenths out!

Useful feller to have around!

I used to fish the stick continuously, but now began to feel it making me tired.
It is certainly active and not for the sedentary Angler.

I wandered down to Martin and we chatted for a long while.
Sammy had succumbed to her 4.00 am start and was fast asleep behind her Dad!
Martin was a picture of concentration as he fished, despite nil reward for the past 4 hours!
I could not help but admire his dedication.

When I returned to the peg, it was to see Mark producing a Roach every trot!
Fish from 1 to 8 ozs were steadily entering the keepnet.

We discussed his set up and he continually encouraged me to add finishing touches to my set up.

When I tried, I caught 2 small Roach!

However, I was weary and concerned for the Eastern pair, so I went to commiserate with them and apologise!
Martin would not hear of it and kindly reminded me of our blank day on the cut off channel.

Returning at 4.00 pm, I found Mark packed up and with a keepnet he had just emptied of over 20lbs of fish!
I was disappointed as I would have taken a photograph of this, but next time.

AND so, I asked Mark to join me as he was then leaving, in order that I could introduce him to Martin!

Mark left just after 8.00! LOL

Well, 2 Bailiffs, 1 with a mission and the other an equal desire to see it succeed.
Mark offered advice, moved Martin to where all his feed had been placed,
Suggested baits, presentations etc, but to no avail.
Of course, they talked of many other things, shared experiences etc, and I was relieved that on such a dismal fishing day, after so far a journey, Martin was enjoying himself,
So I fell asleep!

During the course of the morning, the bright sun had quickly gone, a wind arose (although we were sheltered in the pegs) and the temperature had fallen!

The water, far from my 67 of July 15th and 60 yesterday sank to 53.4! winter levels! No wonder the fish were quiet!

Then Sammy proudly brought me the fish her Dad had caught! A Chub!

Datafile.jpg

2 to 3 as Martin said Ounces not pounds, but a chub nonetheless!
Very soon afterwards, we packed away and Martin and I purely out of consideration for the guys who are coming in September to join us, forced ourselves to research the local pub.

Pleased to report that the place is very large and will make an adequete base should a new ice age dawn whilst we are at the fish-in and checking that the Guinness was ok (Duty was not strong enough to test any other than our favourite) we talked happily.

Sammy was a cheerful delight (only had me to cope with rather than the funny talking northern crowd) and not at all depressed by having to wait for her scan results and I think Martin was happy with prolonging his day with me!
(Or did he really need that 3rd pint LOL)

Anyway, as usual, all too soon the time came to say farewell and we parted with promises to E-Mail safe arrivals whatever the hour, when we got home.
Surely enough I was sitting by the screen, when the message arrived that they were safe in Wisbech.

At the time I was feeling pleased that Martin had adamantly expressed his desire to return, meet Mark again and catch that Barbel.

So I was content and smiling to myself at this lovely farewell photo of a man I am pleased to have as a friend and his daughter who share such a warm bond through their interest in fishing!

Datafile.jpg

Im glad I never got that Zander, or he his Barbel!
2 firm reasons for at least 2 more days together!

Cheers

Trev

PS Mark sends this greeting Martin

Trent Fish In /personal best Barbel.
Read, Go to bed and Dream LOL

Ziptrev pug.gif Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Nice one Trev,

icon_smile.gif Dave

angler-mark

Nice report Trev, It was a pleasure meeting Martin and Sammy on the day and having a natter. Just a shame the water didn't produce the big stuff but as the Terminator says "We Will be Back". Look forward to seeing Martin and Sammy again soon to have another crack at em!

Cheers icon_smile_approve.gif

Tight Lines

Mark

martin.

Account Locked
hi trev
the pleasure was equall for all sammy enjoyed it as much as anyoneshe was anoyed on the way when we went past a sign alton towers 20miles but soon got overit when i told her id take her & 2mates to there before they go back to school she said ide given in to easy why, i said well im not botherd about going in ill drop them off then i had to struggle for 5secs to think what would i be able to do to pass the time away FISH whatelse is there so it wont be to long before im back wether i get a barbel or not no one knows but ill still enjoy it & the company thanks for a wonderful day & will see you soon

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Still sounds like a great day.
Great venue,good company,catching becomes almost incidental.

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

MALC

As Peter has said the company can and does make up for any short fall in the fish stakes.

Since joining MD's back in August last year this has shown through on every meeting with fellow MD'ers and long may it continual.

And now with all these post's re the PAD section Chub/Barbel and now Roach my mouth is watering in anticipation of your fish-in Trev.
(the sicky is booked icon_smile_wink.gif)

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Martin

a quick tip for you mate.

When fishing with Trev always use his rod, cos he's the only one who doesn't bloody blank when you fish with him icon_smile_wink.gif

Alan

I'll have a fiver on the black un

norm

I AGREE WITH THAT ONE

(semmer)

see ya later and good report

norm

WHO`S PEG CAN I CAST INTO?

martin.

Account Locked
hi trogg
on the day trev, sammy & mark all had fish i even had a chub about 2 to 3ozs so none of us blanked.
i could have gone for silverfish & probally caught well as they were there but i can walk 5mins from mine & catch up to 100 an hour so i went with the intention of going for chub & barbel & after the pressure of matches both running them & fishing them at the rate of 4 a week since start of season & also looking after the junior matches
then to me it was nice to sit & relax for a whole day with some good friends to me that was as good as a weeks holiday & more fun
in a way im not to botherd about my first river barbel because to me the best part of that type of fishing is the anticipation & hope that the next time the tip goes it could be the first barbel
im a match/pleasure angler i dont actualy go out for specimen fish
unless its with good company like every one ive met on MDs.
please NOTE this is written as my feelings and personal thoughts
not to get at anyone or start any arguements

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Martin,
No problems, everyone will fully understand exactly your sentiments.

Everyone who attends a fish-in is an experienced enough Angler to know how weather and conditions dependant fishing can be!
Funnily enough, I dont bother at all, when I'm away, but, as the host, I always want the fish to be there!
The best part of this is that I got more pleasure out of Tonys Chub and Darryls Barbel than they did!
If the fishing at Drayton and Semer had been more prolific,I bet I wouldn't have had half as much fun!
I still laugh out loud at Scotts laconic question, which I can almost hear that soft Midlands drawl pose, as White Van Man inadvertantly caused my chair to take a bath!
"Just how lucky are you?"
AND we all seem to care more for the others catch.

I was so pleased when Dai finally started hitting the carp well after the whistle at Drayton!
Particularly, because earlier, Waxi, like some demented film producer, had ponced around taking 27 photos of Dai's earlier strike, subsequent playing of the fish, with extreme rod bending, landing net placing etc.!
Only for the fish to escape!
Dai was relatively unperturbed, but Wayne was devestated! LOL

Superb memories and if we had been busy bagging fish after fish, we would have lost all that!

However, as I say, when you are the inviter, you tend to forget that and worry about you friends catching!
Look at the great time we had at Semer, but Andy was prowling the banks and norm was mothering me to his favourite swim.
I caught early with Geoff, got 1 from norms swim and had a superb time in the rain!
So, I am trying for the best of both worlds but know that you all understand this game.
We have a great run comong up, the Soar, North level, Wales, and I have also enlisted some help from Angler-Mark!
I was pleased to receive the following E-Mail from him yesterday, so all the River worriers, have no fear and there's also the Lake!

I will be there and just float around to make sure they all catch plenty, I
will fish a bit and chat a lot, I'm not sure what the lake will be like but
if anyone wants to fish it we can give it a good rake and see how it looks.
I have had Tench over 5lbs and Perch over 3lbs 8ozs and lots of Pike.
Spinning is ok but if you use anything that sinks more than a foot it will
get weeded up because of the lake only at 4 feet. There are some Bream
(about a dozen) that are doubles, me and Archie have seen them but they are
really hard to tempt. If anyone does manage to get any big Barbel can you
ask them not to put them in keepnets because it won't do them any good, all
other fish are ok as long as it's not overnight.

End quote

So, Thanks Mark and thanks to all for your understanding

Cheers

Trev

Ziptrev
Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

darryl

martin you can alway`s come fishing with me on the derwent but don`t do a trev and leave your line cliped up,have even got a few peg`s on the trent inmind

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Martin & Trev, i think your posts just about says it all, Fishing & Friendships and not always in that order,

Trev, and i got just as much pleasure from catching that chub as you photographing it,LOL.

Angler-Mark, nice one, i'm sure your knowledge of the stretch will be a great asset,

teepee.

Status
Not open for further replies.