Next big thing

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
It is not that long ago that Man City and Chelsea were just average premiership teams. They have both gone through amazing changes since they got big money owners. What clubs do you think could do what they have done over the next few years. Go from average clubs to almost unbeatable .

62tucker

Site Supporter
I think Everton have a new owner who is going to splash the cash.

shang

Everton have already spent shedloads yet it hasn't improved their league position

160642fishing

Site Supporter
I can't see it being Sheffield United !,as we now seem to be owned by the only Arab prince with no money,he had to borrow the initial 5 million to buy in and now needs to borrow 50 million to complete the sale,I can see him taking that out of the Premiership/Sky money when he has to repay and we could finish up in the same situation that Blackpool found themselves in.I feel sorry for Kevim McCabe who carried the club through all the bad times and then loses it on what seemed to me to be a technicality.

davylad

Site Supporter
Any team that has money to burn, as that's all the difference is between the rest. You obviously can't be guaranteed to win everything, but you'll certainly be among it all, that's if you employ a good manager. The only trouble is, the way it's going there's likely to be half a dozen teams playing in a league of their own, as the others won't be able to afford it.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
For Everton to make any progress, we have to ship out some of the dross that previous managers signed & are on huge wages. Although we're cash rich now, the financial fair play rules dictate that your wage bill can only be a certain percentage of your turnover. That's now stopping us from shopping at Harrods if you like.
Some of the players we have now aren't fit to wear the shirt.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Wouldn't mind betting there are some fans of clubs that would be happier just seeing hard working players each week and deliver some success along the way and have highs and lows, rather than having to always have a cloud lingering over the parade because the success was just so blatantly bought.

City fans I doubt very much would let it hinder their enjoyment, especially as its on the back of our historical success and subsequent slide, but I do know a Chelsea fan very well who has always felt that the corporate bandwagon that carries the trophies through the door along with the people riding on it, removed the club massively from what things used to be like, atmosphere, shed end faithful and the like.

To answer the op in a fashion, I can think of plenty of clubs, or at least their fans, that deep down wouldn't want investment of that level.

Last edited:

tonerain

Site Supporter
Surely Newcastle, once Ashley has gone, are a real "sleeping giant".

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
The 3 clubs I had in mind were Everton, Newcastle and as an outside bet, Leeds.

160642fishing

Site Supporter
Wouldn't mind betting there are some fans of clubs that would be happier just seeing hard working players each week and deliver some success along the way and have highs and lows, rather than having to always have a cloud lingering over the parade because the success was just so blatantly bought.

City fans I doubt very much would let it hinder their enjoyment, especially as its on the back of our historical success and subsequent slide, but I do know a Chelsea fan very well who has always felt that the corporate bandwagon that carries the trophies through the door along with the people riding on it, removed the club massively from what things used to be like, atmosphere, shed end faithful and the like.

To answer the op in a fashion, I can think of plenty of clubs, or at least their fans, that deep down wouldn't want investment of that level.
The thing is Northants is that loads of 'fans' are too fickle,they are fine when their club is winning but give up on them when they aren't,I've got a mate who was a massive Man U fan a few years ago but probably couldn't find Manchester on a map,members of our fishing club couldn't stop shouting how good Norwich were last season but have given up on them already this one,As a Sheff United fan I can honestly say I have supported them,and by that I mean have gone to games as often as possible through thick and thin for over 50 years and am more than happy to see them playing the lads who got them to the Premiership,they have the second lowest wage bill in the Prem. but you wouldn't think so when you see the effort they put in,I know we will get worked out by opposing teams eventually but I don't care,enjoy it while you can I say.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Exactly my point, i would suggest that Sheff Utd fans are very happy at the moment and fair play to them, no major investment behind that happiness either as yet. Sensible wages and sensible wage structures attract the right players with the right mindset, a mindset and work ethic that matches that of the people who fund their wages, the fans.

Last edited:

160642fishing

Site Supporter
There should be a few more managers about like Chris Wilder,apparently Mark Duffy went to see him saying he should get a new contract on better terms for helping to get them to the Premiership,he's out on loan at Stoke City !