Newt & The Pole

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
This is long overdue. Let me start off by saying I loved fishing the pole on my first try and will be using it again in the future. And many, many thanks to the person (whoever that may be) who sent it. All I know for sure is the sender is a regular on this forum. ZipTrev knew who but died without telling me. Trogg knows who but he ain't saying either.

Now with that said, on to the tale of Newt and his first time ever fishing a UK style pole.

I am the proud owner of a 9 meter fishing pole. UK thing with at least a hundred sections (well, it seems that way). Some sadistic person in the UK sent it to me a few months ago and won't tell me who he is. I know why though. Afraid of what I'd do for revenge.

A little bio stuff on me: 59 y/o US angler who is very at home with normal US gear. Lure rods (to 8 feet) - spinning and casting, longer rods (to 11 feet) - spinning and casting - for catfish and carp. I use light tackle when appropriate with line down to 6lb and hooks as small as #8. Normal stuff. Much more at home with line from 20-50lb and hooks that have a zero at the end like 1/0 or larger. Eyesight is about normal for a guy pushing 60 real hard.

A little pole background for any who aren't familiar with them. Long graphite (carbon) things with lots of sections. Not uncommon to see them to 14 meters (46 feet) and mine is a shorty at 9 meters (30 feet). Elastic running thru the last couple of sections and out the tip to help you with playing the fish. You rig them with itty bitty hooks (down to #26 or smaller!!), light lines (to 0.5lb test) and floats to match. Designed to be used while sitting on a stool designed for pole angling, pole across legs, and held so the bobber has just a little slack line above it. Line is usually a total of 4 - 8 feet so much shorter than the pole. When you get a fish on, you raise the pole (by pushing down on the butt section) just enough to keep tension on the line and then slide it back - removing sections as needed - until you have a short enough piece to land the fish. With mine, that turned out to be the end 4 sections for small fish.

I had practiced with the thing in the yard since I got it last May. Taking it apart, putting it together. Sliding it back and forth. No rig on the end but just the pole. Hadn't used it for fishing since I'm nearly always fishing from a boat and there simply is no way to use a pole from a boat.

Finally arranged a trip where I thought I could give this pole thing a try. Carp fish-in at a South Carolina pay lake that was closed for competition fishing for the winter. Figured I could try the pole while waiting on a carp take on my normal rods. Thought I could at least get some good pictures of me with this thing held over the water.

So much for plans. I did make the fish-in. I did rig and use the pole. No pictures though since it rained both days and I really didn't want to take a chance with my digital camera.

My seat was two concrete builders blocks (the kind with large holes in the center) stacked one on the other. I looked through the bag where I kept the rigs that had been sent with the pole and found one with "carp" among the information on the label. Thought to myself that might be a good one to start with since a carp rig would obviously have a decent size hook and line to match. Wrong!! I'm still not sure I've actually seen the hook. I think I just sorta guessed where it was. I'd also thought either it would be obvious how to attach the pre-made rig to the elastic or maybe there would be directions on the package. Well, it wasn't and there weren't. I did get the rig attached but I suspect any pole angler would have died from laughter looking at the exact way I connected them.

My bait was a single grain of sweet corn and it was a tough decision exactly where in the grain to place the hook so the point would be exposed. I finally just nicked the hook thru the skin at the closed end. As to the line, I couldn't be sure if I was seeing it or a loose piece of spider web blowing around. I now understand how UK anglers can speak of using a single maggot as bait and worrying about how to hook it.

Finally ready. Sat on the blocks. Gently eased to pole out over the water and lowered it enough to get the float floating. I could see the float at that distance but not too clearly. Looked around at my other rods and back to the float. Oops - what float? Where was the danged thing? Decided the only choice was to raise the rig up until I could spot the float and put it back in the water. Gave the most gentle of pushes on the butt section of the rod. Float, hook, plus the fish that had caused the float to vanish popped a good 20 feet into the air. I'm not really sure if the fish or I was the most surprised.

Lowered the pole enough to have the fish barely in the water and started sliding the pole back. In the mud. Didn't work real well since the fool thing promptly dug in. I finally did get it far enough back to take the sections apart and swing the fish to my hand for unhooking. Pretty little sunfish of maybe 3 ounces. Unhooked and back into the water. None the worse for a quick flying lesson either.

I must have caught a dozen or so fish about the same size from that spot over the next hour. And I learned a couple of things. First, when you are pole fishing, you can't be doing anything else. Not looking around at the lake. Maybe lighting a cigarette if you are quick. But not much else. Next, those fancy pole seats are probably worth every penny and a concrete block gets real hard, real quick. And last, the pole anglers who can handle the pole, keep baiting up their spot, and still land fish must have more arms than I do.

I still don't know what I'll do when a big fish takes my pole bait. I do know that I am anxious to find out. The pole is certainly going with me whenever I plan to fish from shore.

Newt Vail

Last edited:

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
ROFLMAO

Excellent Newt,
Glad you enjoyed it,Set me up for the day that report.
I'm off to have a go myself now.[:D]

PS."What,no photos."

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

MALC

Hi Newt,

Glad you got to play with the Pole at last.

Great to read of your session and would have loved to have seen it.

It does get easier the more you use them.

MALC
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

Polepot

Poles
Hi Newt,

Great to hear it has got used at last - I'm sure the more you practice the less like punishment it will feel.

As Malc says it does get easier.

Poles

Great info, great guys, great fun, thats Maggot Drowners

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hey Newt here's an idea..

Give cuzzin Todd a ring & arrange a match with him, his poles only 8m but it should be fun.

At least if you're both there one can take some pics & then the other can take some.

I would have loved to see the look on Todds face when he got that pole mate (bet it was nearly as good as the look on yours), from the mail he sent me he was a "mite" surprised & most definetly confused with what he should do with it. [:D].

Keep at it Newt n you'll be as good as Peter soon [:D]

Alan

Just cos i ain't postin, it don't mean i ain't watchin

martin.

Account Locked
hi newt
good to hear your using the pole youll soon get the hang of it
dont forget if you need any advice just let us know

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

jonesr

Hi.Newt.
A brilliant article.
Don't believe everybody that say they haven't done exactly that when they started with the pole.We've all had to wash the mud out of the butt at one time or another!( And still do at times).Keep practicing and try to get a roller!

Ron J

Age isn't everything!
EXPERIENCE IS!

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Thanks to all who replied. Truth be told, the pole session went lots better than I had expected - rain, poor seat, and all.

I do plan to bring it along to the shore sessions I do and fish between (hopefully) screaming runs from the rods. :D

Already see a couple things I will need to modify to fit local conditions and my age. No problem because our fish aren't very shy and most of the small ones - shoot, most of the any ones except largemouth bass - have never seen a hook or a rig.

Hooks will need to be at least #10 and more likely #8 or #6 because I can see the hook and can see to tie it. Also hooks with an eye since there is no way I could rig a spade-end hook even if it were possible to buy them over here.

Line about 6lb b/s so I can see and manipulate it. I have real trouble doing knots with smaller with my somewhat stiff fingers.

Weight - difficult to find weights smaller than bb over here and I can't see the smaller ones anyway so bb it is.

Now some advice if you would. Ron J suggested a roller as have several others. I've seen pictures of them in use and I agree. Question is - which style and which brand. I will have to order from the UK and certainly can't ask around where I fish since no one has ever seen a pole, much less a pole roller.

Conditions will vary and may well be a little rough. Rocks (lots of rubble around for erosion prevention), undergrowth, etc. Rarely-to-never a problem with folks trying to walk behind me like you have with venues in the UK. And a roller suitable for an amature since I will probably never use the pole enough to become any sort of expert with it. And no way will ever get one longer than the 9 meter I have now.

Newt Vail

Larry

Lazarus
Glad to see your having a go with your polei'm a novice at pole fishing as well ,not used more then 3/4 time's always chicken out of using it in favour of rod&line.They you've just gotta keep practising.

Cheer's Larry AKA as toma say's Shimano Man The Tackle Tart

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Just managed to find time to read this Newt and ROFLMAO [:D], I can just picture you now lol

Anyway seeing as how you are now the Stateside Pole Anglers Association founder member I suppose we'd best get you sorted out with a roller (and not the Rolls Royce type) - I suppose that might come later lol

Check this link - Click Here for various types that are available
For starters you might be best with the 2345 or th 2020R types rather than go onto a full blown, four legged version.
They would however need a bankstick and the bankside would have to be soft enough to be able to push one in.

And where's the photos lol

Dave

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Dave - the couple of photos, if they even came out, are sitting on a little disposible camera I picked up on the way to the lake when I saw it was rain, more rain, and likely to be still more rain. No way was I going to use a good digital camera in that muck.

I need to finish up the roll and get them to a shop for processing. I planned to do that Sunday with a dam trip but the water was a little rough so I didn't even launch the boat and couldn't leave the boat to go fish since I had stuff in it I didn't want to lose.

Dam trip writeup (with a pic and a plea for help) is at
This Spot in case any river anglers on here who might have the odd suggestion.

Newt Vail

Last edited by a moderator:

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Just fixing the link Newt [:D]

BTW the dam you fish at, is it a god dam or a dam dam?? [:D]

Alan

Just cos i ain't postin, it don't mean i ain't watchin

jonesr

Newt..Just a follow up on the problem with the pole getting dirty.All you have to do is keep it off the ground.A bag/holdall helps until you sort out a roller.Even a Y shaped branch with a cloth wrapped around the V,as long as you can get it into the ground! The roller helps when you have a length of pole to support (10-14 Mtrs.)With the shorter length you are talking about you will be using it more of a rest.Keep practicing and it will soon feel like a rod you are used to.

RonJ

Age isn't everything!
EXPERIENCE IS!

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
I'd been starting to think in terms of having a nubile female person accompany me on fishing trips. She could stand behind and as needed, hold my pole. In lieu of a roller you understand.

Now if I can just convince my wife of the need. :D

Newt Vail

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Hi Newt, just been reading your exploits with the pole (a good laugh)
as regards a pole roller i'm sure you could come up with something,
its only to keep the pole off the floor/mud, it needs to be about 2mtrs. to 3mtrs. behind you and about mtr. high, if you push 2 bank sticks in the ground at angles to form a cross then use the V to slide the pole in, but put something in the V (old towel) so as not to scratch the pole,

i do like the idea of a buxom young lady laid there to slide your pole on/in. maybe you could market the idea.[:)][:p][:)]

teepee.

Do not resist growing old.
Many are denied the privilege.

Larry

Lazarus
YEH,YEH,YEH, What a great idea but my wife doesn't like fishing i wonder if she' d mind if i got another woman to hold my pole for?Iisuppose what she doesn't know won't hurt her.[;)][:D][:)][:I]

Cheer's Larry AKA as toma say's Shimano Man The Tackle Tart

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
quote:Originally posted by Trogg

Just fixing the link Newt [:D]
BTW the dam you fish at, is it a god dam or a dam dam?? [:D]

It varies Trogg. Some days, for sure a dammed dam.

Such as the day I left 2.5 of the 3 blades of my prop with an unexpected rock. I do carry a spare but the blasted things are around $150 to replace.

Such as this past Sunday when I went with my boat and planned to do the whole thing with the electric motor since I was in the middle of replacing the rear echo sounder (by the controls to the main motor) and had no way to monitor depth from there. But with the current, my 45lb electric motor running at full speed would simply have slowed down my rush downstream.

But there are those sublime days when the fish are really having it. Long, lean, mean, fighting machines from living their lives where there is often so much current. Whoooo boy. No pot bellies living there. Largest catfish I know of from the dam is 80+. Can't even estimate the size of the largest carp since no one around here bothers to mention catching them.

Next time I'm there, I'll get some pics to post.

Newt Vail

martin.

Account Locked
hi newt
just an idea but can you get the very small V rollers that some use on the front of boat trailers im sure you would be able to adapt one of these somehow

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
martin - excellent idea. I can easily get the v-rollers and finding a mount for them should be easy enough. Thanks.

Newt Vail

Status
Not open for further replies.