Newt help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Hi newt a friend has asked me this zone alarm keeps asking for premission to access WEBDP_FSG_1050.EXT This file is in Windows tempory file and is 164kb. Do you know what this file refers to and is it safe to delete it. Many thanks John

chill out go fishing

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi John,

(Sorry for butting in Newt icon_smile.gif)

I can't find any reference to WEBDP_FSG_1050.EXT so the safest way would be to initially find and then rename the file to something like- WEBDP_FSG_1050_1.EXT and see what effect that has on his programs.

If there is no effect, it should be safe top delete it but then again he could always leave it just incase. If it does cause problems, just rename it back.

Dave

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
thanks Dave I couldnt find this either. All I do know is that this file will not open when clicked and that there are problems with various error mess., that keep popping up. It seems to me as zone alarm keeps asking for permission to allow access for this, that it is some external file etc. I think a format and reload may be required. John

chill out go fishing

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
quote: I think a format and reload may be required.

Eeek, icon_smile_shock.gif the mere thought sends shockwaves down my spine.

Try to rename it first and see what happens. Locate the file, right click it and select rename.
Failing that, try a delete before a format - gawd I'd rather do the decorating << now look what you've made me do icon_smile_dissapprove.gificon_smile_big.gif

Dave

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Well if I have to do the D*********G then so should you. icon_smile_tongue.gif

chill out go fishing

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
The thought of Dave decorating icon_smile_shock.gificon_smile_shock.gif

Alan
You've just been moderated

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Esox - can't find any reference to that specific file.

Anything in the windows emp folder should be fine to delete. The files in there are only supposed to be scratch/working files and not needed when the program that created them is not running.

The behavior sounds somewhat like a trojan on the PC trying to talk to it's "master" out on the net though.

First thing I'd try is boot the PC to DOS (not a DOS window) and run the following commands:

cd windows emp (note the space between cd and )

attrib -r -a -s -h *.*

dir

At that point you should see the entire contents of the folder. Your critter may have been hiding.

Next - if you see it or if you don't

del *.* which should remove everything in there.

You didn't mention if there was any AntiVirus software loaded. If so, make sure the virus defs are up to date and run a full scan. Make sure it isn't only looking at program files.

As to the other errors - if you will email me examples (and be exact) I will try to help you figure it out. newt@carponline.com at home or newt.vail@pmusa.com at work where I can be found from 20:30 to 04:40 your time.

Newt Vail

Edited by - Newt on 19 February 2002 01:40:31 AM

Status
Not open for further replies.