Newt Advice!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed2

T-Total Clustaf**k
Hi guys

I started the proceeding with my pond overhaul today and I have taken out all of the reeds, lilly pads, weeds and roots.

However, in the process I have rescued bang on 80 newts from the weeds and put them all in buckets. I have now constructed a temporary pond for them from a small plastic liner I found (left over from the polytunnel). The holding pond is around 1.5m x 80cm (restricted by material available) and around 6 inches deep. I have also put 5 rocks in there for them, with 2 breaking the surface so they can get out of the water if they wish.

Will the newts be ok in there for a week or two? I really don't want to put them back in because there's a risk that a lot of them will die when I empty the old liner and take all the sludge out of the bottom!

Secondly, I have already got 80 newts out without netting/trying to get them. I can see a LOT more swimming about in there, so I expect we have around 200 or more in the pond. Is this too many as I'm planning to restock the pond with fish?

What can I feed the newts whilst they are in the holding pond?

Many thanks,

Ed

PS. I will take some pictures of a few close up for you, but so far there are at least 4 different types. One was like a stick insect shape (and there is only one of them), one is like a leopard skin, one is all brown and one is quite yellowy-brown, but obviously different colours/markings!

ed2

T-Total Clustaf**k
One type is the Palmate Newt, one is the Common Newt, and after work I will try to find out about the other two [:)]

Mutley

I believe that Newts are protected.

As kids we used to catch them and put them in our pond at home, they never stayed, couple of days later, they would be gone, we used to catch them on worms tied to a piece of string, they just grab hold and don't let go.

groundhog

Life Survivor
[:)]Yes Newts are a protected species.
Do not know if this will help you with identification ed2 mate.

http://www.herpetofauna.co.uk/identification.htm#native
[:D][:D][:D]

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
The tiny one is my newt

:)

I'll get me coat

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
newts are not just protected, but on the endangered list too,

its against the law big time to move em or mess about with thier habitat or environment

newt ponds have held up large building developments and even motorway construction,

you need to speak to the relevant EA section and your local councils wildlife officer Ed,

Simon R

Site Supporter
It's only the Great Crested Newt that you really need to worry about - that's the one that's on the endangered list.

I'm not too sure why they're on the list though 'cos the little buggers are everywhere - on 6 of the last 8 'countryside' sites I did engineering designs or feasibility studies for Great Crested Newts were either present or evidence of their presence was found.

The A66 dual carraigeway on the North Yorkshire / Co. Durham boundary had to be realigned to avoid them and a new pond was built to house any that got disturbed due to the new road. A new supermarket development near West Auckland had severe discharge constraints placed on it to prevent a pond that they might live in getting swamped.

If anybody ever wants to get a development stopped (or at least delayed) just mention that you've seen Great Crested Newts / bats / otters or badgers - you'll hold 'em up for months looking for that lot[;)]

I wouldn't worry about the existing newts Ed - if they don't like their new home they'll just wander off and find somewhere else.

Simon

Last edited:

Triturus

They'll be fine for the duration, if they don't like it they'll just climb out, but they may try to get back into your orginal mud bath. There are 3 native species, as has been said. the great crested is by far away the biggest, very dark coloured, the male having a high ragged crest. The other two, smooth and palmate, are roughly the same size the males are quite different but the females are very similar.
There are some colonies of the alpine, the males are a vivid blue and the females are marbled, both having bright orange bellies

ed2

T-Total Clustaf**k
This has made me a little bit worried now. Can somebody please clarify whether or not it is illegal/wrong for me to be changing the newts' habitats? If so I will have to stop what I am doing I think and contact the EA. I haven't found any of the great crested newt, but I haven't yet started netting the pond to find them.

I have found some with crested tails but none with the little nobbly bits on them like the pictures of the great crested newts!

Many thanks for the advice so far!

Ed

ed2

T-Total Clustaf**k
I've had a look online and I think some of the newts may actually be the Great Crested Newts that are endangered. I'm guessing that would change things??

Sparhawk

I've got to take issue with this :-

Trituruscristatusfemale.jpg

No Crest, and to be fair it doesnt look that "great". How do they name these things? [:eek:)]

ed2

T-Total Clustaf**k
Having had another look, I'm relieved that none of the newts are the GCN, so I am happy now!

BUT what can I feed these guys in the holding pool? Should I put insects from the pond in there for them??

bloomer

fishing monster
they will feed themselves on insect life that settles in the water or it they're hungry they'll soon wander off to find food!!!

Snakesteve

Hi Ed. Just nip to your local Aquatics store and buy a couple of bags of live Bloodworm and Daphnia and tip them into your holding pond, but as already been said if they dont like there enviroment they will leave and find somewhere new, and maybe come back when your pond is back up and mature. Just make sure you dont use tap water for them, but if you have to use a good quaility dechloronater such as Haloex made buy Waterlife. Hope this helps.[:)]

ed2

T-Total Clustaf**k
Thanks guys!! What alternatives are there for refilling the pond? There are no streams near enough to direct the flow to the pond. I'm thinking it will have to be tap water with dechlorinator... Is the cheaper stuff not much good?

Thanks,

Ed

ed2

T-Total Clustaf**k
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BERMUDA-ORGANIC-POND-WATER-TREATMENT-TAP-WATER-SAFE_W0QQitemZ170412259818QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_HomeGarden_Garden_PondsWaterFeatures_UK?hash=item27ad5cb9ea

Would this tap treatment be safe to use??

Thanks,

Ed

the gaffer

you dont have to use declorinator if you fill the pond and then not put anything in it for a few days,as for the dechlorinator if you want to use some the cheaper stuff will be fine,you often pay loads over the top for a brand name not necessarily the product itself

ed2

T-Total Clustaf**k
That's good! I've just bought some off eBay to be delivered tomorrow for 5.99, so I'm happy with that! Plus it is enough to fill the pond twice over!! I do sometimes worry that it will be harmful to the creatures.. but I'm told to use it so I do [:p]

Cheers Gaffer!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.