News and the New Year Honours

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Am I getting old and grumpy?

When I was younger News reported what had happened. Today it seems to be filled with "The Prime Minister Will say...", "The Queen's speech will concentrate on …" and so on.

And now we have the New Year Honours released four days before the New Year. I remember when the list was released at the stroke of midnight on New Year's Eve. But I suppose that was too late for the papers who wanted to headline the recipients in their New Year's Day edition. But four days ahead?

And as for SPOTY, no point in watching as all bar the main award were announced in advance and there were only six people to vote for on the night. Hardly any mystery or surprise left.

Do you think we will ever get back to reporting news, not broadcasting predictions?

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Only one I can see who deserves one so far is the old war veteran bless him, now I wouldn’t mind my taxes going up if it were to look after folk like him ?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
To me, there seems little point in going back to reporting proper news. BBC will report something, and ITV will report the same news but contradicting BBC. Or is it just me getting old and grumpy?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Only one I can see who deserves one so far is the old war veteran bless him, now I wouldn’t mind my taxes going up if it were to look after folk like him ?

I'm with you on that one mate.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
No it’s getting wise as to what’s going on, if it don’t fit with the agenda but if it upsets the easily offended or even go against someone’s rights or beliefs then it’s reported ??

Last edited:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I tend to find myself watching less and less news these days as it's boring, repetitive, doom & gloom and often as said guesswork and predictions.

It's about time the channels started to focus on happy news, feel good stories, rather than the constant stream of gloom and misery we're being fed.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
That won’t happen Dave Mate the ones who don’t like us ain’t happy. Even on social media when ya post summat for a laugh or summat happy the miserable Bstards are waiting to p,ss on yer fire.

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
The main media is controlled by politicians and very wealthy people. They depend on government grants to survive. They are obliged to print or broadcast press releases and ignore the real news. That is why the government are so afraid of social media and try to block it at every turn.

Last edited:

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Like I say Kev tell the truth it gets removed, I’d rather tell it how it is than pretend, it’s like when someone dies it’s all oh he was a lovely bloke when in all fairness he was a cock who liked nowt else to throw his weight around and make people’s lives a misery, but the truth hurts.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
When I was a teenager I used to cut grass and tidy gardens for money and one of my regulars was a lady called Mrs Benson who I remember well. She was an elderly lady in the true sense of the word, tea in proper cups, cake with a fork, wore gloves in the garden, polite and genuine.
She never had the radio or TV on when it was time for the news, never bought a newspaper, did not want to know what was happening outside of her world, and was one of the happiest persons I knew.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
When I was a teenager I used to cut grass and tidy gardens for money and one of my regulars was a lady called Mrs Benson who I remember well. She was an elderly lady in the true sense of the word, tea in proper cups, cake with a fork, wore gloves in the garden, polite and genuine.
She never had the radio or TV on when it was time for the news, never bought a newspaper, did not want to know what was happening outside of her world, and was one of the happiest persons I knew.

I know one exactly the same mate happy as they come Regimental in all his daily doings ?

crackatoa

Site Supporter
There's plenty of News sources nowadays, thanks to the internet.
We may have to pay a license fee to the government propaganda channels but they can't make us watch or believe their biased reporting. Not yet anyway.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Like I say Kev tell the truth it gets removed, I’d rather tell it how it is than pretend, it’s like when someone dies it’s all oh he was a lovely bloke when in all fairness he was a cock who liked nowt else to throw his weight around and make people’s lives a misery, but the truth hurts.
That is where the adage "If you have nothing good to say, say nothing at all" comes to mind.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
And I was brought up to tell the truth as well so if the truth hurts, I was also told to tek no notice ??

Last edited:

TrickyD

Site Supporter
There's plenty of News sources nowadays, thanks to the internet.
We may have to pay a license fee to the government propaganda channels but they can't make us watch or believe their biased reporting. Not yet anyway.
Plenty of sources, all giving their own version of events.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
If ya can’t forget what bad has happened to you, how can you begin to enjoy the good ?

Wise Owl
Don’t need Rehab ?

Wise Owl

Account Locked
I don't agree with politicians getting awards, they have made enough out of their position without getting knighthoods. I would like to see more of the ordinary people who do great things in the community get noticed

That I can agree with ya ?