Newcastle

62tucker

Site Supporter
Had to be worse starting 11 Man U have had for years and best chance we had to beat them but Bruce’s tactics were awful yet again. A terrible performance from Newcastle.

The Runner

Site Supporter
Poor wasn't it.
No idea what the idea of bringing Schar on when he did was. Why not move Hendrick central where he apparently prefers anyway and bring on Almiron for another bit of pace which we needed on the counter ?
Cant see yet what Hendrick brings to the team, and Joelinton sounded rotten even by his own standards.

nejohn

Site Supporter
For me Bruce needs to change his tactics fairly quickly. I see some merit in staying strong at the back but if you do this and let teams come at you for much of the game you are inevitably going to get caught out or someone will make a mistake. I think we do not support our front players enough and are relying on ASM to hold the ball and run at people, unfortunately every other team knows this and ASM is a marked man who is now getting seven shades of you know what kicked out of him and getting no protection from either our own midfield or the match officials, I will not be surprised if he only plays another handful of games before he gets a longterm injury. The midfield need to be more dynamic at the minute we are very one paced but we have very little choice other than possibly Matty Longstaff or an out of the box solution of putting Joelinton into central midfield, dropping Hendrick or Shelvey and playing Almiron out wide. I know it made little difference but if that was a penalty the game as we know is finished

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Hardly seen M. Longstaff start since he won the midfield battle against us last season? Still say he could be the next Scholes, given the chance on that showing last year.

The Runner

Site Supporter
He played half a game for the U21s as a comeback this afternoon. Hope he's fully fit soon, although Bruce seemed reluctant to use him a lot of the time last season.
And his brother seems to have regressed badly since a couple of seasons ago. Weird to think that Man U were supposedly considering a bid of £25 million at that time, he's generally looked poor since apart from the odd game when he's played as a no.10 .
Looks very one paced, along with the rest of our central midfield

62tucker

Site Supporter
He definitely looks a lot slower that when he 1st came on the scene. And he did look ok in no 10 role. Remember a game last year when both brothers played and they done the most miles. Hopefully they both can play for us for years to come.

62tucker

Site Supporter
How on earth have we beat Everton. Shows your what a proper goal scorer can do.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Yes Everton did not look good, I think they were intent on going for the draw with the hope of snatching a winner, but they had very little creativity in the final 3rd so for me although Newcastle were not great at least we showed some ambition along with a relatively solid defence so probably deserved the win. One thing I will say about Everton is they have some quite nasty sneaky players, a lot of niggling off the ball and leaving feet in whenever they could, hopefully referees get wise to this and start to clamp down, unfortunately it almost worked for them yesterday, a couple of off the ball kicks at ASM resulted in him not being his usual dynamic self and leaving the field early, then there was the incident after the penalty was awarded between Mina and Callum Wilson, Mina was right in Wilsons face and would not let him take the ball to the spot, unfortunately for Wilson the ref only saw Wilson push Mina away and ended up giving Wilson a yellow card. As I said for the good of football I hope referees get wise to these tactics and start clamping down, I know it goes on and all teams have their worky tickets however Everton seem to have a lot more of these than their fair share

nejohn

Site Supporter
Said it before the mid field is one paced, given what he has at his disposal I would go back to a back 4 and play Hayden sat in front of the 2 centre backs then play either both longstaffs or 1 plus joelinton in front of Hayden with Wilson through the middle and ASM and either Almiron or Fraser on the flanks. That would give much more mobility and the longstaffs and joelinton have the pace and energy to support wilson. ASM is wasted in his current role as it is far to congested and he is just getting bogged down, he would be far better used on the flanks and cutting in to support the forwards.

62tucker

Site Supporter
I see Sunderland are out of the FA cup before Newcastle are in it.
We should count out blessings.

62tucker

Site Supporter
This is shocking again.
good job there is no crowd as they would be after Bruce’s head. Terrible tactics. Again.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Rubbish for 88 mins. Ended up winning 2 nil.
10th top.
Above Man U. Man City. And arsenal. And Leeds. 🤣

The Runner

Site Supporter
Feel sorry for any Palace fans. their team are even worse on the eye than we are.
Can't complain about the result though after enduring 88 minutes of grim football- probably spent as much time watching Tranmere v Brackley on the TV with the sound off as I did our game on the laptop.

Can't imagine too many neutrals would have enjoyed the spectacle.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Feel sorry for any Palace fans. their team are even worse on the eye than we are.
Can't complain about the result though after enduring 88 minutes of grim football- probably spent as much time watching Tranmere v Brackley on the TV with the sound off as I did our game on the laptop.

Can't imagine too many neutrals would have enjoyed the spectacle.
Had it on amazon prime. Commentary was terrible. Hendricks was rubbish but he must of touched the ball but never heard his name once.