Newcastle

nejohn

Site Supporter
I don't intend to upset anyone and it's a genuine question but, are Newcastle more or less where they always are in the league? I know they had a good year or two in the Keegan era, but don't they always do well if they don't go down?
Not altogether true, yes you have to go back a bit but if you look at the clubs history you will find two very bad periods re success and these coincide with absolutely terrible owners ie the Westwoods who bleed the club dry in the late 70's early 80's and Mike Ashley Who has done the same for the last 14 years when we have a decent owner that invests in the club we have done pretty well considering. Unfortunately for a lot of people football only started with the formation of the Premier league so clubs that had success prior to that don't count

davylad

I'm going back well before the Prem john, and I can't remember them being a regular top side consistently. They've had some cracking players over the years mind. Their best years were over 100 years ago, bloody ell that's before the first world war. :unsure:

nejohn

Site Supporter
No I think the best years were probably the 50' s and early 60's constantly top half of division 1 and 5 FA Cup wins when the FA Cup meant something.... Unfortunately before my time. Then the Westwoods got control and there was a steady decline through the late 60's to the rock bottom years before Sir John Hall took over then a good few very good years and a team that probably rates as the most entertaining team in premier league history, John Hall handed over to Freddie Shepherd who was maybe a little to ambitious and had to take Mike Ashley money to bail himself out and the rest shall we say is history

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Never mind, at least you Newcastle fans can watch Sunderland be utter rubbish, in a rubbish league, straight after your match.

nejohn

Site Supporter
At least we managed to get close enough to the Leeds goal to injure the keeper....... Things are looking up...!!

nejohn

Site Supporter
Much better in the second half, played much further up the pitch with a little more luck might have got something from the game..... Hopefully Bruce has seen the light and realised the idea of the game is to actually score and it would be better to score first than to always be chasing the game, play like we did in the second half from the kick off and things may be better. Good to see ASM back he is a free kick/penalty waiting to happen as the only way Leeds could deal with him was to bring him down, plus they had 2 men on him everytime he got the ball making more space for other players

nejohn

Site Supporter
Played well today with players playing in positions that they are used to and pressing much higher up the pitch. Wilson was very good up front as was Hayden sat in front of the back four. Much more commitment throughout the whole team. Definitely not a case of an off day for Everton, Newcastle were just the better team and didn't let Everton play

H T B

Site Supporter
Fully deserved
Take a bit of pressure off Bruce
With St Maximam (sp) coming back from injury, you should have more than enough to stave off any relegation fears.
We’ll see 👀

Keith Sparky

Yes if they continue to improve they will get to their same mediocre position in the league that a perpetual not winning club of their stature can get to.....only joking.....

nejohn

Site Supporter
Although I am a dyed in the wool Newcastle fan ever since my Grandad took me and my older brother to SJP when I was about 6, I must say since moving to South Wales I have been to a few Cardiff games and a few more Newport games, I have enjoyed the Newport games, nice little compact ground with a decent crowd

62tucker

Site Supporter
Much improved performance yesterday.
The new Gateshead coach seems to have made a difference.
palace on Tuesday 👍

62tucker

Site Supporter
St max and new boy willock playing from the start.
hayden at centre back.

62tucker

Site Supporter
3:1 half time. 👍.
2 subs used and don’t think st max will last 90 mins

62tucker

Site Supporter
9 men now. As Bruce used last sub up at 60 mins.
Terrible decision by Steve Bruce