Newbie with a Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris

hi to everyone here.
i would just like to say i hope to learn lots of tips and ideas from www.maggotdrowning.com members and i hope that i might also be able to help others too.

so here is my first qustion:- does anyone know any links to sites or info about making your own floats using porcupine quills [?]

this was also posted in the 'tackle talk' room

TINY

Tiny
Hello Chris

If you are getting your quills from source ie the zoo.Make sure you boil them and dont get spiked by one as they carry desease.
You will need varnish/lacquer,white modelling paint,a fine tip brush (unless you are dipping them)flourescent float paint of different colours and something to make your eyes with.
A lot of the eyes were made with bent copper/brass and whipped on with anything like whipping silk or (cotton,if you`re not fussy about the finish)cat gut.[;)]Hope that helps a bit,Andy.

Andy.

darryl

hello chris carn`t help with the float making but glad to see another nottingham angler on here

you can not catch one sitting at home

haydn.borthwick

09/05/02 - 28/01/07
In Memoriam
Like Tiny says be careful until you have boiled the quill. I have a mate who got some from a Farm and one jabbed his finger and it went septic. He had to go to hospital to have it lanced. Painful.......be careful......Haydn

Take nothing but memories, leave nothing but footprints.

martin.

Account Locked
just dont sit on them & WELCOME TO THE MAD MDs

tight lines.
martin.

talk fishing flip football

iobrien2002

Paddy
sorry cant help mate but if you need sum more advice on nething else just send me a pm

I.O'Brien

TINY

Tiny
Martin said dont sit on them.[:0]Just in case you do,ask the doctor to take away the pain,but leave the swelling[:D][:D]

Andy.

chris

hi folks and thanks for the warm welcome, as for getting my quills from source ei:- the zoo, i never thought of going there, i got some off ebay, but any one else wanting some might try here http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_Traditional_Handmade_Floats.html at the bottom of this page

Status
Not open for further replies.