Newbie top kits/elastic question.

Barrycuda

Hi all, first post so go steady on me 😉

Been fishing two years, all feeder based, and Im just starting to look at pole fishing. Complete noob with no idea about poles. Got myself a bargain on a Browning 9/11m slimlite which comes with three top kits.

I match fish solely natural venues, mainly reservoirs, with the very occasional odd trip to a commercial with my little lad for some quick and easy action. I was originally going to get a long whip as Ill mainly be fishing 8/9/10m to hand, but after waggling all the options the slimlite seemed far better value as its obviously more versatile.

My main match venue is a reservoir with lots of depth in all pegs. Im talking some pegs with 30 foot at 4 metres out and other areas with maybe 18 foot at 4 metres out. I also regularly fish matches at another res where depths are less extreme, where fishing at 9m might have depths of 8-15 feet.
Oh and one other venue I match/pleasure fish which is 4-8 foot all over.

Generally my target species are roach to 1lb, ide, hybrids and skimmers up to 2lb, the odd nile perch upto 3lb and the odd proper bream upto 4lb.

So, my question is what do I do with my three top kits?

Two are already fitted with side pullers, one with a 5-7 browning microbore and the other with a 9-13 browning microbore. The other wasnt elasticated and I have fitted that with a preston slip 8 black on a winder bung on the advice of a local tackle shop, they said thatd be good for the deep swims.

Im thinking the side pullers arent going to be of any use when Ill be fishing 9m to hand, or at least top 2 plus 2/3, and I presume you cant alter the tension on them as you can with a winder bung? So should I keep the light side puller in for the shallow venues I fish, and change the heavier side puller for another winder bung? And how many top kits am I likely to need for the fishing Ive described? And how essential is a cupping kit going to be and does that mean buying another slimlite top kit or can i get a universal cupping kit that can be cut down?

Sorry for the ramble, essentially...

A) how many top kits will i need for the fishing Ive described?

B) How useful are side pullas going to be for me, and can I just remove the side pulla kit if I want to without affecting how to top kits perform in future?

C) what elastics would you select for the fishing Ive described?

D) do I need to purchase a slimlite top kit to make into a cupping kit or are there universal options that will work for me?

E) bonus question, there is a package I can get that comes with a top kit and spare 3 and 4 sections, why would I need these spare sections?

Thanks in advance, its all really confusing coming into the world of poles with no clue at all. Im watching videos and looking at articles but its hard to find specific answers so Ill really appreciate any help you can give.

Cheers,

Barry

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Fair bit to try and answer.

A) As always, the more topkits the better. But you can only fish with what you have and sometimes need to adapt your fishing and compromise. Can't say exactly how many. Basically how many rig variations are you likely to need at any one venue/any given day.

B) I don't use side pullers. Get the right elastic in and you shouldn't need them. You can though tighten elastic with a side puller. You need to thread a bead onto the elastic, the bead needs a small internal diameter hole so it grips the elastic. You can then pull elastic through the bead so some is dangling thus tightening what is left in the pole.

C) I would be looking to use a 6-8 for most of the fish you describe. If a bigger average stamp such as 4lb bream and tench then I would step up to an 8-10. Don't get overcomplicated with multiple elastic choices. Just go with what should land most of the fish you hook.

D) You can use a universal as a cupping kit, something I deem essential. Have a look at these OAKWOOD POLE TOP KIT UNIVERSAL SIDE PULLER FISHING COARSE CARP 3210987089012 | eBay
May need to be cut back a bit to fit but should do the job.

E) If you are fishing 9m to hand then I would welcome the extra sections. Otherwise you will have to store rigs on winders then trap these against the topkit when not in use. Having the extra sections should mean you can store the rigs on extended topkits makin g things more efficient on the bank.

Finally have a read of my pole fishing guide for beginners. I talk about cutting back topkits and cupping kits in section 3

Barrycuda

Fair bit to try and answer.

A) As always, the more topkits the better. But you can only fish with what you have and sometimes need to adapt your fishing and compromise. Can't say exactly how many. Basically how many rig variations are you likely to need at any one venue/any given day.

B) I don't use side pullers. Get the right elastic in and you shouldn't need them. You can though tighten elastic with a side puller. You need to thread a bead onto the elastic, the bead needs a small internal diameter hole so it grips the elastic. You can then pull elastic through the bead so some is dangling thus tightening what is left in the pole.

C) I would be looking to use a 6-8 for most of the fish you describe. If a bigger average stamp such as 4lb bream and tench then I would step up to an 8-10. Don't get overcomplicated with multiple elastic choices. Just go with what should land most of the fish you hook.

D) You can use a universal as a cupping kit, something I deem essential. Have a look at these OAKWOOD POLE TOP KIT UNIVERSAL SIDE PULLER FISHING COARSE CARP 3210987089012 | eBay
May need to be cut back a bit to fit but should do the job.

E) If you are fishing 9m to hand then I would welcome the extra sections. Otherwise you will have to store rigs on winders then trap these against the topkit when not in use. Having the extra sections should mean you can store the rigs on extended topkits makin g things more efficient on the bank.

Finally have a read of my pole fishing guide for beginners. I talk about cutting back topkits and cupping kits in section 3

Awesome that mate thanks for taking the time, going to check your guide now.

sjmclean

Side pullers let you fish much softer elastic and tighten up to it when netting the fish.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
I have tried using pullers and softer elastics. They just don't suit me and the way I like to play fish. I mention it purely to offer an alternative.

Everyone is free to find their own preference.

Barrycuda

I have tried using pullers and softer elastics. They just don't suit me and the way I like to play fish. I mention it purely to offer an alternative.

Side pullers let you fish much softer elastic and tighten up to it when netting the fish.
Trouble is if Im fishing swims that are deeper than top two Im never going to be using the side puller am i? So I might aswell find an elastic that is more versatile on a winder bung. Thats my thinking now anyway

Barrycuda

Just been through your brilliant guide Neil, wonderful resource for us complete pole noobs, top job mate.

Probably a silly question but having decided that a puller kit will only ever really be of use in one of my top kits, will leaving the un used hole there have any noticeable affect if I just take the kit out and replace it with a normal winder bung?

D

Deleted member 21081

Just been through your brilliant guide Neil, wonderful resource for us complete pole noobs, top job mate.

Probably a silly question but having decided that a puller kit will only ever really be of use in one of my top kits, will leaving the un used hole there have any noticeable affect if I just take the kit out and replace it with a normal winder bung?
Yes this will be fine. The hole will have no effect at all.

sjmclean

Trouble is if Im fishing swims that are deeper than top two Im never going to be using the side puller am i? So I might aswell find an elastic that is more versatile on a winder bung. Thats my thinking now anyway

I fish top 4 deep all the time and use a side puller, just need to reach up.

The Landlord

Site Supporter

Neil - on that subject. Although I've used a pole for many years, it's been on canals in winter leagues etc. using No3 elastics (sometimes a No6 if there's a chance of decent fish). My pole was never beefy enough to use on commercials for carp.
I've now acquired a couple of poles much more suited to fishing commercials & the top kits are kitted out with heavier elastics. How do you play the carp with the pole? I've been told you should dip the pole under water when playing decent carp. Is this correct? So far on the commercials I've been fishing, I've stuck to rod & line so pole fishing these venues is new to me.

Cheers
Neil

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Neil - on that subject. Although I've used a pole for many years, it's been on canals in winter leagues etc. using No3 elastics (sometimes a No6 if there's a chance of decent fish). My pole was never beefy enough to use on commercials for carp.
I've now acquired a couple of poles much more suited to fishing commercials & the top kits are kitted out with heavier elastics. How do you play the carp with the pole? I've been told you should dip the pole under water when playing decent carp. Is this correct? So far on the commercials I've been fishing, I've stuck to rod & line so pole fishing these venues is new to me.

Cheers
Neil

Have a read of this blog post, scroll down to Play Time.

The Big Fella

Hi

If you got a puller hole in the top kit your NOT going to use I have this wrapped or taped over so no water can get in

Sometimes in windy conditions there can be the need to drop pole under the water to avoid big gusts and an extra hole is going to let water in and that’s extra weight if you then lift.

Taking it to the endth degree also if a top kit accidentally blows in or a fish pulls the top kit off it will again also sink quicker ( it shouldn’t happen pole section pulling off though if you always keep some form of angle )

Your bung at end and the stonfo are not to bad a seal, obviously the top kit will eventually sink but it generally gives you a bit more time to retrieve the section in most cases