Newbie Struggling With Chub

Ant_courtney

Hi Guys,

I'm not sure why but the chub fishing this summer has been hard for me, I am a newcomer to river fishing and wondering if anyone could give me so timps?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I've had them on bread, worm, luncheon meat and pellet on both float and feeder. Chub are greedy beggars and when in the feeding mood with munchy head on, they'll take anything.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Where and how have you been fishing for them? To add to wiseys point, if we are talking hair rigging, then bait needs to be close to hook-short hair or hooked directly. Chub peck at baits. Some when fishing for Barbel for example will intentionally use a long hair to avoid chub because of this.

If its float fishing, then maggots and plenty of them. Stick float if fishing the line along the rod tip, or waggler if running a line further out.

To get to the fish or keep them coming during a session, changing depths is sometimes needed. Waggler wise I did a bit of a write up on a decent session I had on the Nene this summer- in where you fished today section.

More intimate rivers or backwaters, free lining can produce if you are targeting bigger chub or ones that you can see. As the name suggests, literally just a hook, may be a single weight, with breadpaste, breadflake or cheesepaste. Really shallow water, you can float breadflake for them-really fun fishing.

If deep water in larger rivers, the maggot feeder and a hooklength between 18 inch and 4ft works.

If it is a river where you have float or feeder options, check the water clarity before deciding on tactics. 18inches visibility or more is generally float conditions for chub.

corkycat

If I could put my twopennworth in, all the above replies are a hive of good advice, but as ukzero1 alluded to, they are greedy beggars - when they are feeding. What this means is that you may well find yourself sitting there for hours with no bites, thinking you are doing something wrong, when in fact the chub are just waiting for their dinner time to come round. I've always found that if I'm not catching them I just keep keep on casting my feeder/bait - whatever it is - and they will eventually come to the table. Stick at it and they will eventually come on to feed.

chappo

Ant
I would be happy to fish in faster water through til October as long as theres 3 foot and a run through with a stick amongst the weeds
Its important to know that theres chub there though because a lot of rivers dont have the numbers of bigger chub there used to be. Do your homework mate and if theres a stretch nearby that responds to the feeder put a float through it.
Plenty of bait too mate - 4/6 pints of loose feed will encourage the little possums if they are about
If you have to fish the feeder I'd keep refilling and chucking too - kamasan black cap that hold the bottom - 18s hooks and double bronze maggot
Choice of swim is the key - a feature, some pace and plenty of feed
Its amazing to think that some stretches we fished years ago that were alive with chub are void these days - I had 121 lb of chub in a match on a stretch of the Derwent and you struggle for bites these days

As a footnote there seems more pegs on canals these days that hold big numbers of chub - not the same I know but worth considering

Last edited:

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Also be aware of creases on the surface. These can be produced by anything from a weed bed to a sunken tree. Fishing them can be productive but just be aware, they can also trap your feeder/lead. Fish them carefully.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
If I could put my twopennworth in, all the above replies are a hive of good advice, but as ukzero1 alluded to, they are greedy beggars - when they are feeding. What this means is that you may well find yourself sitting there for hours with no bites, thinking you are doing something wrong, when in fact the chub are just waiting for their dinner time to come round. I've always found that if I'm not catching them I just keep keep on casting my feeder/bait - whatever it is - and they will eventually come to the table. Stick at it and they will eventually come on to feed.

Agree with this. On my local weirpool it's early morning and around 7pm. You can go all day without a bite then suddenly at 7pm dinnertime catch 5 in a row. Probably depends on venue though.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
First question would be are the Chub common enough in the area you are fishing or are they a rare catch which points to a low stock density

Fishplate 42

Two Dog Ralph
Hi Ant,

I too am a newbie to river fishing. I lived in London, until a couple of months ago. There I was close to a very small 'river' that was more like a stream. It is sallow and not very wide at all. It has a good population of perch, roach and various other small silvers, including chublets. We used to walk the river regularly and see lots of small fish, but every now and again we would spot a much larger fish. There are a good few decent sized chub in there, much to my surprise.

We, (me and my wife) started feeding the fish with small rolled up pieced of white bread about the size of a peppercorn. To our amazement, the bigger chub arrive and started swimming right under our feet, I could have touched them. We did this a few times and in the end I decided to have a go at catching one. It was about lunchtime, and almost a year ago to the day. I though we had little to no chance of catching anything. much to my amazement we caught one almost straight away, and another and another. The commotion of catching them and putting them back, did not seem to spook them, in fact I caught one of the big ones. Here is a picture of the fish I caught, my secon decent sized chub from a river. The whole story and more pictures can be found on my blog HERE if anyone is interested.

big_fish_1.jpg

Ralph.

Kojak

Hi Guys,

I'm not sure why but the chub fishing this summer has been hard for me, I am a newcomer to river fishing and wondering if anyone could give me so timps?
I wouldn’t worry too much, I’ve been bagging Chub for 50yrs but this season is so up and down weather wise that it’s a proper struggle at the moment for me as well!
So I’ll also be watching for tips?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I've never specifically targeted them but I've hardly caught any proper sized chub in my time and I think it's down to needing vast quantities of bait for them on the reasonably sizeable rivers I generally fish. On a standard session I take on average about 3 pints of bait which does the job for the smaller species but given my lack of proper chub I reckon I'd need to near double that to target them by design where I fish.