Newbie Silly Question Corner

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Oh, and no such thing as a silly question, theres a wealth of knowledge here, something that wasn’t available to most of us when we were learning! Use and abuse if you dont know, you dont know
???. Bet me to it Dave. ???

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
the daftest question is the unasked question (y)

Am sure there will be many many answers & opinions to your question.

rule of thumb.....0.1g of weight per foot of depth

basic slim pattern will cover most of your situations.
tear pattern when the weather is rough will be more stable.

learn how they work first, gain experience before worrying about anything else.
Basically add layers to your knowledge as your experience grows and keep it simple.
Don't fill your mind with so many things that will only confuse you initially.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
On training courses at work I would be the one to ask the "silly" question. It was amazing how many others came up to me at a break and thanked me for asking what they were afraid to for fear of looking stupid. I don't care how stupid I look, if I don't know, I will ask.

I wish I had been that brave at school.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
For every poster on MDs there are hundreds who just land on it through google and never post. Basic questions from beginners are essential as they are the questions loads of people would like answered. For the site to remain the valuable resource it is, those questions need to be asked. So rest in the knowledge you are helping a lot of people (including me a lot of the time).

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Speaking as a novice pole angler myself I tend to use a chianti style float of 0.3 or 0.4g most of the time and a diamond pattern if it’s windy. (Just as Ken the Pacman suggested.)

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Thanks Mick, I'll private message you the REALLY stupid ones I've got then, my self esteem is low enough already :ROFLMAO:
You can ask me anything you want except .... women. I ain’t a clue how women tick mate. Any man that says they understand women is a liar. ????

Mangers

Keen as Mustard
Site Supporter
Thanks everyone, glad I asked as I knew I would be. Just been down to another local tackle shop armed with my newly acquired knowledge and got myself a pattern as advised from the very helpful owner.

I actually have floats that don't baffle me now. I will have to adapt once experience kicks in but at least I'm at a starting point.

Me love you all lonnng time!

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I'd start off with the Drennan AS range of ready made rigs. Get to know what rig is for which situation, note the style and materials of the float and the shotting patttern. Then you can transfer that knowledge in to recognising different manufacturers floats that are similar, and you will know when to use them and how to make up the rigs. The AS stands for Alan Scotthorne, and he definitely knows a thing or two about pole floats.

sly

bit better gear,still no idea
Site Supporter
Hello everyone, I've been a member here for almost a month and did warn you all when I joined that I'd be asking lots of unanswerable questions as my new hobby takes its hold.

It's taken me this long to summon the courage to embarrass myself enough to ask question 1 so here goes.

I've just bought a 'proper' pole and love it, now I'd love to know what floats I should be buying? I simply have no idea? I watch videos on YouTube on shallow fishing, deep fishing, margin fishing and depending on which sponsored angler's video I'm watching their floats are the best thing out there. My current regime is as follows:

1. Go to the tackle shop with a particular set of floats in mind, see the racks upon racks of floats, find a quiet corner of the shop and curl up in the fetal position.
  2. As above but then instead of asking someone in the shop who actually knows their arse from their elbow, walk up to the rack, pretend I know what I'm doing and pick a few up and go pay for them, get home and stare at them in my man cave so my family can't hear me swearing because I've no idea what they're for.
It goes without saying that my current system is only beneficial to the tackle shop's coffers.

As a guide and in an effort to assist you all assist me, I fish/attempt to fish at Lindholme lakes (I love the place) and I love commercial fishing. I truly could probably do with some paid coaching but as a Hunter Gatherer I've convinced myself that I'm going to be perfectly fine. I'm after a range of floats that I can use on commercials in most conditions.

Would a simpler question to answer be something like 'where does your lap go when you stand up?' or 'How many full stops are there in a bottle of ink?' Or would you suggest I try to find a Lindholme regular who would be willing to mentor me for a while? I'd love nothing more than to enter the regular matches held at Lindholme at some point. (I actually LOL'd then, nose bubble and everything)

Question 2 is coming up soon and it'll be a lot easier, it's all to do with molecular science theory and probably a piece of cake to answer

As always, I appreciate drinking from the fountain of knowledge that is MD and thank you all in advance

Mangers
sorry,cant help with the floats but
  • Go to the tackle shop with a particular set of floats in mind, see the racks upon racks of floats, find a quiet corner of the shop and curl up in the fetal position.
  • that is class :upthumb: :LOL:

Total

Site Supporter
Plenty of decent advice on here....You only need to ask....(y):)......Regarding Lindolme, Arron in the shop there will see you right should you need it....(y)

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Some great advice already ... I would add
1. the very fact that different sponsored anglers recommend different float patterns should tell you that it really isn’t that important ... it’s in the realm of marginal gains at the top level. Many floats catch more anglers than they do fish.
2. as someone already wrote ... the float serves two main purposes (to register the bite and to support the shot/weights to give the presentation you require).
3. as Ken the Paacman wrote ... there is no single correct answer in fishing, the infinite variety to learn is one of the fabulous aspects of the sport. It should be said that there are plenty of clearly wrong ways that only work very rarely.

good luck!

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
find a pattern you like and make it work for you. For bite detection a thinner body float will outscore a rugby ball shape but the are not so easy to control. Therefore either buy Chianti shaped floats like mentioned or/and rugby ball shapes in a few sizes and learn how they behave. Then you can explore other shapes etc