Newbie Silly Question Corner

Mangers

Keen as Mustard
Site Supporter
Hello everyone, I've been a member here for almost a month and did warn you all when I joined that I'd be asking lots of unanswerable questions as my new hobby takes its hold.

It's taken me this long to summon the courage to embarrass myself enough to ask question 1 so here goes.

I've just bought a 'proper' pole and love it, now I'd love to know what floats I should be buying? I simply have no idea? I watch videos on YouTube on shallow fishing, deep fishing, margin fishing and depending on which sponsored angler's video I'm watching their floats are the best thing out there. My current regime is as follows:

1. Go to the tackle shop with a particular set of floats in mind, see the racks upon racks of floats, find a quiet corner of the shop and curl up in the fetal position.
  2. As above but then instead of asking someone in the shop who actually knows their arse from their elbow, walk up to the rack, pretend I know what I'm doing and pick a few up and go pay for them, get home and stare at them in my man cave so my family can't hear me swearing because I've no idea what they're for.
It goes without saying that my current system is only beneficial to the tackle shop's coffers.

As a guide and in an effort to assist you all assist me, I fish/attempt to fish at Lindholme lakes (I love the place) and I love commercial fishing. I truly could probably do with some paid coaching but as a Hunter Gatherer I've convinced myself that I'm going to be perfectly fine. I'm after a range of floats that I can use on commercials in most conditions.

Would a simpler question to answer be something like 'where does your lap go when you stand up?' or 'How many full stops are there in a bottle of ink?' Or would you suggest I try to find a Lindholme regular who would be willing to mentor me for a while? I'd love nothing more than to enter the regular matches held at Lindholme at some point. (I actually LOL'd then, nose bubble and everything)

Question 2 is coming up soon and it'll be a lot easier, it's all to do with molecular science theory and probably a piece of cake to answer

As always, I appreciate drinking from the fountain of knowledge that is MD and thank you all in advance

Mangers

Beattiejj

Hello everyone, I've been a member here for almost a month and did warn you all when I joined that I'd be asking lots of unanswerable questions as my new hobby takes its hold.

It's taken me this long to summon the courage to embarrass myself enough to ask question 1 so here goes.

I've just bought a 'proper' pole and love it, now I'd love to know what floats I should be buying? I simply have no idea? I watch videos on YouTube on shallow fishing, deep fishing, margin fishing and depending on which sponsored angler's video I'm watching their floats are the best thing out there. My current regime is as follows:

1. Go to the tackle shop with a particular set of floats in mind, see the racks upon racks of floats, find a quiet corner of the shop and curl up in the fetal position.
  2. As above but then instead of asking someone in the shop who actually knows their arse from their elbow, walk up to the rack, pretend I know what I'm doing and pick a few up and go pay for them, get home and stare at them in my man cave so my family can't hear me swearing because I've no idea what they're for.
It goes without saying that my current system is only beneficial to the tackle shop's coffers.

As a guide and in an effort to assist you all assist me, I fish/attempt to fish at Lindholme lakes (I love the place) and I love commercial fishing. I truly could probably do with some paid coaching but as a Hunter Gatherer I've convinced myself that I'm going to be perfectly fine. I'm after a range of floats that I can use on commercials in most conditions.

Would a simpler question to answer be something like 'where does your lap go when you stand up?' or 'How many full stops are there in a bottle of ink?' Or would you suggest I try to find a Lindholme regular who would be willing to mentor me for a while? I'd love nothing more than to enter the regular matches held at Lindholme at some point. (I actually LOL'd then, nose bubble and everything)

Question 2 is coming up soon and it'll be a lot easier, it's all to do with molecular science theory and probably a piece of cake to answer

As always, I appreciate drinking from the fountain of knowledge that is MD and thank you all in advance

Mangers

Beattiejj

Kinda in the same boat myself lol
I’ve started to make my own rigs as I’ve broken so many I’ve bought lol
are you looking to make your own rigs or buy some?

Mangers

Keen as Mustard
Site Supporter
I make my own, made a few and used them to a reasonable level of success but no idea if the float was the right one. Experience will tell but I'm far too impatient

Beattiejj

Mangers
Stick to four patterns of float seems to be the best advice
i have a silly question lol if I have a 1gram float does that mean I have to use 1gram of shots to weight it down?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
i have a silly question lol if I have a 1gram float does that mean I have to use 1gram of shots to weight it down?
A 1g float is very heavy for Lindholme if thats where you were thinking of fishing it pal. 0.1 to 0.4 is the area you want to be in for floats. ?

Beattiejj

A 1g float is very heavy for Lindholme if thats where you were thinking of fishing it pal. 0.1 to 0.4 is the area you want to be in for floats. ?
No it’s for somewhere else, but even with say a .04s is that what I have to also weight the shots as?

Nobby_nobbs

Site Supporter
Best sticking to 3 or 4 patterns basically Drennan A3 F1’s in open water in 0.2 to 0.5 using pellet and maggot.
Drennan A4 for the margins for corn and other larger baits.
Drennan A2 or A1 if there is a skim on the water again in 0.2 to 0.6.
Not an exhaustive list but should give you an idea of what you should be looking at.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
So many questions ……...

So many answers here

Here

And here

"My final word on pole floats is that I am a believer in the old adage that if it looks right then it will be right. If a pole float looks to you that it will do the intended job then use it with confidence."

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter

That is an indication of the rough amount of shot needed to set the float close to having just the bristle showing.

I suggest you read the following

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
No it’s for somewhere else, but even with say a .04s is that what I have to also weight the shots as?
What it says on a pole float or any float come to that is a guide. 0.1, 0.2, 0.3g, etc are simply guides to how much weight is needed to cock the float to the bristle. When the rig is in the water you want to be looking at approximately 7mm of bristle. 2 - 3mm if you are looking at catching F1's. You are goung to get lots of advice from anglers that have never seen Lindholme. Please bare this in mind. Strip is notorious for undertow youll need a tiny bit larger float for that pond. 0.4 to 0.6 if theres a wind on. Good luck. ?

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
The purpose of a float is to indicate a bite, the type/shape/size of float is to facilitate the indication of the bite so if the water is shallow you use a smaller float than you would in say 10 foot of water.
When you encounter different weather conditions like wind or movement in the water caused by the wind you also need to factor this in to the mental calculation that produces the correct size of float for the job.
Once you have some experience of different conditions the choice in your head will become much more obvious but as a starting point either a slim "chianti" style of float or a simple pear or diamond shaped body are the most useful patterns to choose with the size dictated by the presentation you need to achieve in order to get a bite in most cases this is likely to be less than half a gramme but dont be afraid to go bigger if conditions/depth etc. dictate.
Once you have grasped the choice of float you then start on how to shot it,again to facilitate the indication of a bite which is often a more complex problem in itself.
If this all sounds complicated now it will become clearer as you gain experience and you catch a few fish, there is no magic combination that suits every scenario its simply a case of applying what you learn, angling is not something that has fixed answers to most of the questions as there are too many variables so you will get many varied answers but stick to the idea that my float is there to show a bite and the size and type of float is to achieve the presentation of the bait to get that bite and go from there.

MartinWY

Site Supporter
Neils blog has tons of great advice on this very subject, as linked above. I thought it was very useful when learning the same thing over this past month or so.

Mangers

Keen as Mustard
Site Supporter
Neils blog has tons of great advice on this very subject, as linked above. I thought it was very useful when learning the same thing over this past month or so.
I'm all over it now, its superb

davej1981

Have lindholme got an shop on site? If so ask in there, they will be able to tell you what to get and what to use it for