Newbie - Creative fishing ideas - what are yours?

RoboBilly

Hi, I'm new to this forum and think this would be good topic to discuss and see what people come up with. I'm all for finding new ways of doing things and learning from others but also saving some money rather than paying OTT for some crappy fishing manufacturers "accessory".

So, to kick it off, for a cheap groundbait bowl I use a collapsible camping washing up bowl. They make them round and rectangular and I prefer the latter as its easier to pack - especially when collapsed. Cost about £8 and better than these massive round bowls with manufacturers names on. What things do you use or make yourselves to save money, give you an advantage or just make you unique in this world of madness? Let's hear your tips and creative ideas please...

Attachments

• 20210429_012928.jpg
    20210429_012928.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 20210429_012900.jpg
    20210429_012900.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 23

nico12

Grebe Grabber
I used old milk cartons ( green srew tops) for my pellets labelled with a marker. Usually enough in a two pinter for a session. Keeps 'em dry. Stack well in carryall, dont spill etc, free!

Collapsable groundbait bowls are available from angling shops for less than £8 ? - Some more flexible that the one pictured.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Back on track

Milk bottles for pellet & groundbait - check
Clothes pegs - check
Food containers as baitboxes - check
Bucket as rodrest - check
X clamp as rod rest - check
Home made knot picker and baiting hook - check
B&M bits box (£2.99, black & orange) for feeders - check
Digital luggage scales, £2.99 - check
Home made toss pots - check
Home made pellet pump - check
Foam pipe lagging and pins for hooklength storage - check
Home made hooklength board - check
H frame for ice breaker rope - check
Freezing leftover bait - check
Home made groundbait - check

And what isn't cheap/home made is old.

IMG_20190410_115733.jpg IMG_20210429_091732110.jpg IMG_20140626_110050.jpg IMG_20140514_095824.jpg

HooklengthStorage-1.jpg IMG_20140626_112404.jpg IMG_20171216_094301.jpg

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Back on track

Bucket as rodrest - check
Foam pipe lagging and pins for hooklength storage - check

And what isn't cheap/home made is old.
Bucket looks suspiciously similar to a branded one, Dynamite?
Large Guru Hooklength Box (in 1st photo).

Obviously the start of a slow decline into Tackle Tartiness. 🤣

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I'm afraid to say guilty on both counts.

My old Avanti bucket gave up a couple of years ago. I therefore contributed to my local tackle shop owner's retirement fund. Always charitable me.

I still use the pipe lagging for canal and river hooklengths. Needed a bit more compact storage when starting to fish with banded hard pellet.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I'm a firm believer in finding alternatives to angling Tax.... bait tub... £2.19 with Preston's name on it.... or tupperware tubs.... pack of six for £3.25 at Lidl... want holes in the lid? take a drill to em
I hate the idea that tackle manufacturers come up with solutions to problems that don't exist... pellet wetter anyone....? bait tub and a foot off a pair of the wife's old tights, or turn the box upside down and let the water drain outta the holes in the lid...

biggest laugh I had was a tenner for a Trakker baccy pouch.... FFS... :ROFLMAO:

Net floats...? bit o' pipe lagging wiv a bit of tape round it.... (use Orange tape for added Guru-ness,) job done...
stopped being a tart years ago.... cheap rules nowadays... specially as I'm a poor (ish)retired pensioner (almost)
take a trip to Go-Outdoors or Decathlon for cheap stuff.... clothing especially... it doesn't need to have the name of a tackle manufacturer on it to stay warm and dry and you'll pay less carp/fishing tax...

Caveat (to stop the whingers) if you wanna spend yer cash on named gear go right ahead....

But this thread is about SAVING money

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I need to wash out my collapsable round groundbait bowls better, not only to avoid potential mice, but they seemed to rot after a while.

SpenBeck

Site Supporter
Love the ice breaker rope on a 'winder'. All my extension leads are on wooden winders as well.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Tree branch for a rod rest ....bent pin for a hook.......granny’s old tight for a pellet wetter..... old cornflakes packet for a tackle box ......milk crate for a seat 💁‍♂️
It’s beyond me, but each to their own. I’m certainly no tackle tart, but I can justify a reason for every bit of my kit.