Newark and Winthorpe dyke?

Rick123

Site Supporter
Guys, are the Newark and Winthorpe dykes different? I've fished the Newark dyke, but never the Winthorpe? Thanks Rich.

gixer 13

Site Supporter
Winthorpe is the trent not the dyke. The newark dyke meets the trent just above the a1 bridge on what is called crankley point

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
If you're talking about the actual Trent at Winthorpe, Ashfield now own the Trent around the back of Winthorpe Lake, which is also theirs. I think Worksop and District have the Trent just downstream from the Winthorpe stretch, and A1 pits own the opposite bank.

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
Newark Dyke starts at Staythorpe, runs past the weir (Bob's Island), past Newark Castle, to the weir at/near the junction of the railway lines, and then rejoins the old trent (as stated) at Crankley point. Some sections are private clubs, others day ticket. Long time since I fished it but the Newark stretch towards Farndon used to be very good for roach fishing.

Rick123

Site Supporter
As always informative, bless you guys for the heads up. Rich.

ChrisJSpen

Have a look at the Ultimate Trent Guide by Bob Roberts. It has maps and details of who has the fishing rights.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Roughly halfway between Winthorpe A1 road bridge and Crankley point is an outfall. Fish a stick low side of this for a good mixed bag. Feed hemp and casters and fish bronze maggots on the hook. Enjoy. ?

Sorry ..... Opposite side to A1 gravels.