New years eve outing.

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
Ha, quite funny as I began this thread I then remembered to get the bait out of the freezer, unlike last time where I forgot!
So, that now done I will move on...
On what promises to be the warmest UK new years eve day on record I am heading to Sunrise Lakes for one last chuck at 2021.

The plan is to fish the deeper end of the Match Lake and try yet another method to those I have been learning this year.
Firstly will be the new bomb and bread method, both on the deck and popped up. A variety of hooklinks have been tied up using different hooks etc and range from 4" all the way up to 18" in order to find that sweet spot. The depth of the section I will be fishing is around 8' so with this approach I hope to find at what depth they are sitting at? Grasping at straws maybe?

The second approach will be groundbait feeder and dead reds, a method that I used on the Alders match to clinch a lucky 3rd. Casting across to the shallower sections on the opposite bank that is around 3' deep but with a reedbank the width and depth that puts the willies up me... Anything goes in there, it aint coming out!
I will be taking some pellets and corn as backups along with the usual hybrid and wafters.

I will be on my own though. The good lady Munch has just finished a 60 hour week and the planned escape with Billy has had to be postponed till another time.

I'm hoping it will be a bonanza day. Pics will follow... If I catch owt that is.

Munchy

84fisherman

Andy HLAC
Account Locked
I may be at Strawberry Fields tomorrow, a lake close by to me. Whip fish for about 15lb-20lb of silvers. The lad I'm going with just had his booster so might not be able to drive so have to see how he is tomorrow morning.

My maggots have just come out the freezer, had them in for 15-20 mins just due to the heat today, then now back in the coalhouse with a bit flour on them because they where sweating a little bit before the freezer.

Should last another week. There's a cold spell coming within the next 1-2 weeks so if you don't like the cold go fishing now. :)

Last edited:

mike_pk_waters

Site Supporter
Good luck, and a tip from me is to make sure you put the rods in the car before you leave!!!. Also if you struggle I find the best thing to do is buy more tackle, lots more tackle

Total

Site Supporter
Be lucky Mr M'(y) .....It's a lovely relaxing way to fish....Be prepared to work at it though....(y)

Happy New Year to the pair of you....;)

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
Well not a sniff on the cage feeder and dead red approach. Just swapped to bomb n pop up bread at short range and have had 2 f1 back to back. I thought I might be the only one here today but there are 4 more lunatics on the same bank as me.

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
20211231_111710.jpg

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Bomb and bread to the sticks and point your rod straight down the line, clutch as tight as you dare.
Dont let go of your rod and when you get a take dip the tip deep and sweep it gently towards you

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
Well it ended up being a very tough day. The only fish I had were the 2 F1.
All the other guys there, they were on the pole and they too found it tough going and caught a smattering of roach and skimmers.
If it were a match I would have won with 2 fish!
The weather was strange... We would have sessions of flat calm where eyes were peeled for feeding fish then the wind would just come straight at you without warning and smack you in the face.
Bomb and bread to the far margin line in the sticks saw nothing, not even a line bite. I chopped and changed method, bait, approach and obviously swim and after 5 hours I called it a day.
That was one tough old day and I learnt from it.
I was happy to be packing up and heading back to pick the Mrs up. We had a meal booked and a few in the pub to see in the New Year.
Unfortunately my darling girl was, and had been suffering with migraine for a couple of days. That was that then. Herself cuddled up to me on the sofa, me on the alcoholic pain killer aka JD and her on Cocodamol. Not really how we wanted to see the new year in but hey ho, you just have to get on with things and accept that is, what it is...

We both wish all of you fellow "Drowners" a very Happy New Year and we look forward to seeing and meeting you at some pint this year.

Munchy

Total

Site Supporter
Well it ended up being a very tough day. The only fish I had were the 2 F1.
All the other guys there, they were on the pole and they too found it tough going and caught a smattering of roach and skimmers.
If it were a match I would have won with 2 fish!
The weather was strange... We would have sessions of flat calm where eyes were peeled for feeding fish then the wind would just come straight at you without warning and smack you in the face.
Bomb and bread to the far margin line in the sticks saw nothing, not even a line bite. I chopped and changed method, bait, approach and obviously swim and after 5 hours I called it a day.
That was one tough old day and I learnt from it.
I was happy to be packing up and heading back to pick the Mrs up. We had a meal booked and a few in the pub to see in the New Year.
Unfortunately my darling girl was, and had been suffering with migraine for a couple of days. That was that then. Herself cuddled up to me on the sofa, me on the alcoholic pain killer aka JD and her on Cocodamol. Not really how we wanted to see the new year in but hey ho, you just have to get on with things and accept that is, what it is...

We both wish all of you fellow "Drowners" a very Happy New Year and we look forward to seeing and meeting you at some pint this year.

Munchy
The only thing that might have been worth changing on your day Mr M' was to start on the Bomb and bread first of all....Starting with feed can sometimes stuff one's day up before one starts...;)(y)

Happy New Year to you both and trusting Mrs M's migraine does one quickly....(y)

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
Thanks @Total I, and the other fools that turned up all had the same idea, deeper water. I guess that was not the case on this occasion. Still it was an enjoyable day out in unseasonably warm weather. Why not eh?
On the plus side my casting accuracy has improved markedly, I did not lose any terminal tackle! As a bonus the Mrs was too ill to remove my terminal tackle for going out fishing... Win Win!!
She is on the mend... Too many hours, swapping shifts... All to serve the NHS.