New whips - float and shot question

rincon60

So following on from an earlier conversation i posted on here I now have bought a whip, actually I ended up getting 2.

Not expensive and found them in a sale so ended up very cheep, I have the 3m and 5m Garbolino Telefloat 158

For the money they seem pretty good but havent got them wet yet

My question is around pole floats and the shot.

I guess you want to go as light as possible? Does the body make a lot of differant to the float? And what sort of weights should i use? Olivettes or normal shot or something else?

Thanks everyone, itching to use them!

Flathead

Site Supporter
Floats and weight will depend on the conditions you are fishing in.

I use a long whip ( up to 8 or 9m) on the Lower Great Ouse and usually use a fairly big and heavy waggler, size dependent on the depth and wind....whips are used as much for speed as for delicacy.

it may be different on a small drain or canal.

RMNDIL

Size will depend on what length you are fishing, 3m to hand, 4m, 5m, where you are fishing, lake or flowing river, how deep the venue is and what you are fishing for and with what. Shotting likewise depends. Don't expect to be able to flick out a very light float with 5m. What works at 3m is often not heavy enough to flex the whip at longer lengths.

Yes float body shape etc makes a difference.

ravey

I usually fish at 5 or 6 metres. Normally on the Trent. I have found that a practical minimum for 5m is .5G or 4 x 16, and for 6m, a heavier float of .75g is better. This is for strung out rigs. You may be able to get away with lighter bulk rigs. Hope this helps.

rincon60

Floats and weight will depend on the conditions you are fishing in.

I use a long whip ( up to 8 or 9m) on the Lower Great Ouse and usually use a fairly big and heavy waggler, size dependent on the depth and wind....whips are used as much for speed as for delicacy.

it may be different on a small drain or canal.
thank you, its mostly part of the tidal broads, however none of the stretches have a big pull and some will be boat yards

Think i will have to have a play

thank you!

rincon60

Size will depend on what length you are fishing, 3m to hand, 4m, 5m, where you are fishing, lake or flowing river, how deep the venue is and what you are fishing for and with what. Shotting likewise depends. Don't expect to be able to flick out a very light float with 5m. What works at 3m is often not heavy enough to flex the whip at longer lengths.

Yes float body shape etc makes a difference.
thats really helpful, thank you! I think i'll just have to have a play and see what works

thank you

rincon60

I usually fish at 5 or 6 metres. Normally on the Trent. I have found that a practical minimum for 5m is .5G or 4 x 16, and for 6m, a heavier float of .75g is better. This is for strung out rigs. You may be able to get away with lighter bulk rigs. Hope this helps.
really helpful, thank you!

RMNDIL

thats really helpful, thank you! I think i'll just have to have a play and see what works

thank you
It was actually supposed to be.

You have asked a questions which is a bit like 'how long is a piece of string' because there are so many, many variables. So posting a number of scenarios and options was to, hopefully, help you to narrow down what you want to do and therefore will need to do whatever that job is.

It's no good anybody saying you need a 4x12 float or 2g float and shotted with X, Y or Z because from your opening post there isn't any information at all on which to make any decisions. Skimmer fishing in 4ft of still water is very different rig to roach & perch fishing 8ft of flowing water, fishing over loosefeed or groundbait, wind, no wind, wind off your back, from the side etc etc. There are hundreds of variables.