New virus alert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi everyone,

There is a new virus called W32/MyLife@MM which has been identified. If you get a spurious mail with the attachment My Life.scr please delete the mail immediately and DO NOT open the attachment.

Other variations are also known as W32.Impo.gen@mm, W32.Dotjaypee@mm, W32/FBound.c@mm, WORM_FIDAO, WORM_FBOUND.B, FIDAO.A, FIDAO, W32/Fbound.b@MM, Win32/Japanize.Worm, I-Worm.Zircon.B

This is a mass-mailing worm that uses the infected computer's SMTP server to send itself to all addresses in the Windows address book. It contains no payload. The email arrives with an attachment named Patch.exe. For addresses ending in .jp (Japan), there are 17 Japanese language subjects, one of which is randomly chosen each time.

If in doubt - delete
, Dave

AlexR

ive never got any of these viruses, has anybody else ever actually been sent one?

;)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi AlexR, firstly congratulations on your 100th post

Most people luckily go through their surfing and mailing rarely seeing a virus but when the first one comes in then you'll be glad that you have anti-virus software installed - you have haven't you ?

Alot depends on how you surf, if you spend a lot of time in newsgroups or pass your email address around in chain mails, etc, then the risk increases.

At times I can receive 200 plus emails a day depending on the number of posts on the forum and other mails and in three days I once had 17 emails all with viruses attached

You get to recognise certain traits of the viruses and what to look out for but my AV is always there playing goal keeper and so far, touch wood, none scored

Dave

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Toma - you can check the AV vendor's web sites (Symantec, F-Prot, McAfee) for the latest ones. There are also several newsletters and other web sites that deal with such info.

Unless you just enjoy the things though, best bet is to just keep your virus defs up to date. Most programs will allow you to schedule automatic updates and I suggest daily.

AlexR - I usually get 2 or 3 a week. My wife is more active with the net and mailing lists and can easily get 5-10. It seems to go in cycles though - mostly driven by a new one that sneaks into lots of PCs before anyone notices. Then you will get a serious spurt of them. Otherwise, you can go days (or weeks or months) without seeing one.

Newt Vail

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
When I installed the free AVG download, it ran and then told me I had 2 badtransl viruses in my box, which it had 'healed'(sic)
When I did the same with the adtrans thingy, it told me i had 119 hits in area 1 and 30 some odd in area 2 and prompted me to delete any that worried me, so I deleted em all! (mostly had a Comet tag to em and I dont even know why I got Comet!
Q1 Is this Firewall thingy the same? ie download a freebie and forget it?
Q2, I have just been e-mailed by AVG and have downloaded 2.96 mbs of update!
Is this how you get protected? 3 or 4 downloads and you dont have memory space for viruses? or do the downloads delete old prog space?
Why oh why cant people stop creating problems and play as fair as a Mugabe election?

Trev

Ziptrev
I do NOT BELIEVE it

G

Thanks Dave and Newt. I run my AV every week{Norton Newt}
Toma

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Trev & toma,

The AVG download over-writes the old files when you re-boot your PC so you only have the latest version of files on at any time. AVG will notify you of any new updates so you don't necessarily have to manually look for them but this is an option.

The new virus details are emailed to me as and when detected

The firewall is basically an install and forget program but it is wise to keep an eye open for updates occassionally, besides that its more to 'play' with, lol

Dave

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
If you haven't got AV software then the first thing i'd say is why the hell not??

If you want a free on line updated hourly virus scan then try clicking here

Even though it asks you to registeryou can scan without registering (look for the small link to do it).

Alan
You've just been moderated

Edited by - Trogg on 15 March 2002 9:49:21 PM

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Trev - re: Comet - what you had was the Comet Cursor. You get it without asking for it or knowing you have gotten it when you get stuff from certain web sites.

OTOH, some folks like the program which allows you to use some really interesting cursors rather than the rather plain one that you likely have now.

One thing that tickled me. The proudly say their program has been downloaded over 111 million times. OK. Impressive. What they don't say is tat 110 million of those were probably done without the downloader having any idea he/she was getting the thing.

Ad-aware will flag it and allow removal. The Comet Cursor folks (legit outfit) finally took enough heat about sliding their proggy in to PCs that you can go to their web site and opt to never be given another copy. Their site at one time had an easy link to put a special cookie on your system that tells their software to stay away. Couldn't find it just now.

Read all about them at their web site. http://www.cometsystems.com/

Newt Vail

Status
Not open for further replies.