New Tricast Margin Pole with 1 piece topkit - Views

Paul.P

Tricast have announced today there latest margin pole which can be purchased at 13.4m, which would be a benefit for myself, however it only comes with a 1.75m single piece topkit, which I have to say, i'm pretty unsure of, & here's my reasons. I understand the blurb they've put out about hollow elastics stretching 7-1, whereas the old solid ones were only 4-1, so there saying theres plenty of elastic to play your fish on, but my main issue with this is landing of big fish at venues I fish a lot ( Decoy & Kingsland ) where the platforms stick out in the water & the fish do tend to try & dive under them when bringing in to land them, & if you only have about 1.5m in front of you I can't see you stopping them. If any of you have any experience of landing big fish on short topkits i'd be interested in your opinions ?.

Paul.P

That is what puller kits are for, to shorten the available elastic.
Not being funny steve, but think I know what puller kits are for, but I can't see the relevance of that comment ?, my issue/thoughts on this concern are the fact that when a big fish try's to dive under a platform I can normally stop it with my conventional 2.5m topkit as the top kit is that much further away, whereas with these new top kits they'll be almost a metre closer to the platform, so they will be almost under it anyway. Maybe i'm the only one who can see this, just wondered if anybody else actually uses a short top kit in these sorta circumstances ?

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Sorry that you took my post the wrong way.
What l was thinking is that as a margin pole you would only be using .5 or .75 m rigs and that by using the puller to the maximum then you would be able to control any lunges that the fish woul make. I have the 12.2 margin but as yet not used it in anger. They are supposed to be the strongest arn't they?

Total

Site Supporter
I can't comment on the Tri cast poles.....Have the original Beastmaster.....But reading the above OP's length concerns, If I feel can't land my fish on a top two I simply land them with an added section....

chris1967

Site Supporter
nearly 6ft i'd consider that to be the ideal length for a top two ,some of the top twos on poles are way too long on my browning they are 8 1/2 ft long its too much ,they ideal for halcroft and such like but nearly everwhere i go is 4ft

Paul.P

Most of decoy lakes are 5' deep in the margins, & kingsland reservoir, where you fish further out with paste, is 7-8' deep, so this really rules this pole out for me, shame really as I saw one today, & its a cracking bit of kit, just can't understand why there main poles have an option of 2 piece topkit or a FIST ( one piece ) & yet they've seen fit to only offer this margin pole with the one piece. I know quite a lot of the older anglers that fish commercials used the Trilogy 2 margin pole as there only pole as they didn't, want to fish out any further than 12m, but I doubt they'll be upgrading to this one.

Paul.P

Its on tricast page on facebook. I actually saw one in the flesh last Saturday & did a side by side comparison with my trilogy 2. Its definitely stiffer & more responsive than the trilogy, although at 11.7m its a tad heavier than the trilogy at 12.2. Still can't see why they haven't given the customer the option of a 1 or 2 piece top kit, like there normal poles, as far as i'm concerned its even more important on a margin pole, if your fishing deeper than 1.5m, ( which I do quite regulary ), then the 1 piece top kit just isn't long enough, needless to say, unless they decide to make a 2 piece, I shan't be having one.