new to PVA

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirktaz

Could anybody please supply me some info on using PVA bags.

I know absolutley nothing about it, especially what it is and how to use it.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. [:)]

phil-k

I use the solid PVA bags.
The rig basically has the bomb on a safety clip or a free running in-line lead on the rig tubing or leadcore which is attached by a swivel to the hooklink.
Using a short hooklink of 4 inches.
Attach the boilie to the hair on the hook and drop it into the bottom corner of the PVA bag.The lead should be hanging just above the bag at this point allowing you to fill the bag up with small pellts to about half way up.Drop your lead in the bag on top of the pellets and twist the open end of the bag above the bomb onto the leadcore/rig tubing.
Get some PVA tape and tie up the twisted part to the leadcore/rig tubing.
The whole thing should cast a reasonable distance or just drop it in the margins.
The whole rig is then tangle proof as your line cannot wrap back round your lead.Also the rig is a bit like fishing the method as the carp will attack the mound of pellets and find your boilie in the middle.

Mermaid

Calamity Lin
Site Supporter
You can use the bags as Phil says (which is great especially when you want to add some glug that won't disolve it before you've managed to cast it out!) or alternatively, you can use PVA stocking* which I tend to use for crushed boilies and pellets which you can then nick on the hook to cast. - (*I tend to make up a session's worth and take them with me in a plastic container for ease of rebaiting and casting back into the swim without delay.)

PVA string I use for stringing half or full boilies on and attaching these to my rig instead of a PVA stocking.

Last edited:

big_G

I'm knew to PVA bags as-well and intend to give it a go soon.
What kind of pellets do you generally put in the bag?

cheers, [^]

Mermaid

Calamity Lin
Site Supporter
I normally use a mixture of of different sized halibut pellets. This gives a different breakdown speed giving a good scent trail in the water.

I also glug the PVA mesh with halibut oil if I'm using stocking PVA.

jefflichfield

hi guys as previously said use halibut pellets i also use flavoured pellet to match the boiles such as mainline produce and crushed boiles.
another trick is 2 use two half boiles round sides together as this is the same as the crushed boiles in yr pva bag or stocking as the carp dont see any different shapes as opposed to using a whole boile and wil take yr hook bait easier

jeff.

NoFinPhish

Mighty Cat Slayer
I have a mix of differnet size, type and colour of pellet in mine.
If I'm fishing boilies (rare) then I usually crush one or two a bit and add that too.

Be aware that if you soak in oil like Mermaid does, the bag will take much monger to break down.

Stating the obvious, but as you are new to it...the cooler the water, the longer the PVA will take to break down. In fact in winter you may find a sizeable lump of PVA residue left on the hook i.e. never completely breaks down.

Also, you can use PVA nuggets for various things.

You can buy them in the tackle shop for 3 a bag, or get them from work for nothing like me [;)] used as packing material.

I pinch them around the bend of the hook to avoid braided hooklengths from wrapping around the hook on the cast (rig dependant)
You can also use them for temporary bouyancy for the hook when fishing over silt or in choddy margins
Or you can nick a couple onto the hook, they will melt and float to the surface. You can then use them as a target to fire freebies at.

PVA is the future (or was it garlic bread?)

big_G

I've bought myself some PVA bags for my next fishing trip and asked the chap in the tackle shop if I need any PVA tape or string to tie off the bags?
He said you just stick them down.
Do you think that is sufficient enough to take the weight of the bag or do you think I ought to get myself some string/tape?

Cheers [;)]

jefflichfield

hi big G
u can do either once u made yr PVA bag lick the 2 bottom corners and fold em over and pierce the bag a few times with a needle or baiting needle and squeeze it to get rid of the air inside this way it will sink better and cast better.
u can get PVA which melts quicker for winter use.solid bags are more compact for casting but PVA stocking tied in advance the night before is quicker.

jeff.

Status
Not open for further replies.