New Seat Box, recommendations

Tennis Elbow

A want to replace my aging Daiwa/ Boss Tournament box with something new and a tad lighter

Budget £350
Lightweight
Footplate
Adjustable seat height ( H Frame?) Without the need for extra trays etc as I’m 6ft
30/36mm legs
Mainly pole kit to be contained in the trays as float /feeder rods and reels are in individual cases made up ready
I have all the Preston attachments but obviously would need new inserts
Most venues will be a SHORT walk so wheels not considered

Preston/ Daiwa/ Map

Any help would be appreciated thanks

Kev

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
I’ve had the MAP h30 for a couple of years and am very impressed. Excellent sliding footplate, 6 extending legs (that have never failed), H frame, deep and shallow drawer (I don’t use the deep drawer and have adeed a winder tray). I’ve done a review on my YouTube channel.

It weighs as supplied around 14kg, which is at the lighter end of these type of boxes. My set up loaded is 14kg. The Matrix xr36 (H frame, 36mm legs) weighs around 18kg for comparison. They have revamped the H30 a bit (mainly new blue styling) with a new seat, the mk2. The seat I got with the original h30 was very firm and I got a custom one from just perfect seats. There are also tray inserts available to help organise the trays.

They also now do a H36, same as H30 with 36mm legs. If you mainly fish from platforms with the 30mm leg set up is very sturdy. i did have a Matrix f25 before, great box but the legs were a bit too close to the box, all felt a bit cramped, H30 has a wider footprint and is more stable than the Matrix although a little heavier and more expensive.
If you have old style Preston attachments they will fit 30mm legs without an insert, but you’ll need to buy new ones for 36mm legs.

The H30 is around £340, H36 £400. Angling 4 u has just done a YouTube review of the new H30.

Tennis Elbow

I’ve had the MAP h30 for a couple of years and am very impressed. Excellent sliding footplate, 6 extending legs (that have never failed), H frame, deep and shallow drawer (I don’t use the deep drawer and have adeed a winder tray). I’ve done a review on my YouTube channel.

It weighs as supplied around 14kg, which is at the lighter end of these type of boxes. My set up loaded is 14kg. The Matrix xr36 (H frame, 36mm legs) weighs around 18kg for comparison. They have revamped the H30 a bit (mainly new blue styling) with a new seat, the mk2. The seat I got with the original h30 was very firm and I got a custom one from just perfect seats. There are also tray inserts available to help organise the trays.

They also now do a H36, same as H30 with 36mm legs. If you mainly fish from platforms with the 30mm leg set up is very sturdy. i did have a Matrix f25 before, great box but the legs were a bit too close to the box, all felt a bit cramped, H30 has a wider footprint and is more stable than the Matrix although a little heavier and more expensive.
If you have old style Preston attachments they will fit 30mm legs without an insert, but you’ll need to buy new ones for 36mm legs.

The H30 is around £340, H36 £400. Angling 4 u has just done a YouTube review of the new H30.
Thank you Paul, the boxes you have identified, certainly fit the bill. Clearly the drawer space is somewhat limited on all the “ lighter” boxes compared to my Tournament box, however the trade off means carrying around less! Certainly, on any given session, I would take the kitchen sink, when in reality , I knew where I was going, knew exactly how I was going to fish, therefore 75% of what I carried went unused.

Food for thought but it’s going to have to be the way forward from now on. Greatly appreciated and well done for the Tube videos.

IanG1

Site Supporter
Did the same recently going from a Boss Modulator/Daiwa Tournament with similar wish list to you and ended up with a Preston Inception SL30. Picked a little used one up second hand for £200 (All the legs had been upgraded to extending over the two the box comes with so a bonus) Added some draws and trays and now mix and match what ever I need for each session taking the appropriate trays leaving the others on the shelf in the garage. Its light enough to carry should you wish (I rarely do just chuck it on a shuttle) and been happy so far. Coming from the 19mm legs of the Boss to the 30mm on this it feels like an oil rig LOL

Tennis Elbow

Did the same recently going from a Boss Modulator/Daiwa Tournament with similar wish list to you and ended up with a Preston Inception SL30. Picked a little used one up second hand for £200 (All the legs had been upgraded to extending over the two the box comes with so a bonus) Added some draws and trays and now mix and match what ever I need for each session taking the appropriate trays leaving the others on the shelf in the garage. Its light enough to carry should you wish (I rarely do just chuck it on a shuttle) and been happy so far. Coming from the 19mm legs of the Boss to the 30mm on this it feels like an oil rig LOL
Thanks Ian , I’ll have a look …I got on well with the great Tournament box, but older bones mean a severe change is needed as I want to start up again.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I am still using my Modulator but I did buy a very cheap Daiwa tournament from ebay that was a bit tatty I then removed the deep base section from the frame and rivetted some hinges directly onto the frame so now I have the versatility of being able to take a full size box or just the frame and which ever drawer/trays I want to add, with just the frame frame and a deep side drawer unit plus seat it makes for a very lightweight box, next project is looking at a way of clipping the legs underneath the frame to make it easier to carry

Tennis Elbow

Called into Benwick Sports in Soham today and purchased the Map H30 Mk 2. I didn’t see the need for 36 mm legs , especially as I have plenty of 30mm on-box attachments.

I also obtained a set of trays for the deep drawer. Over the next few days Ill transfer my Tournament box contents and decide on rationalisation of the contents.

Im pretty sure Ill need another drawer set, probably the 60mm , but time will tell ?

It’s just a shame the seat cannot be redesigned to accommodate a winder tray underneath without affecting the rigidity improvements in the Mk 2.

Spirit level ordered as you advised

Thanks for your help and advice and look forward to using it.

Kev