New seat box, possibly Koala

GeeTee

Hi everyone,

I have a quite old Match box tackle 3 drawer seat box which is okay. My needs have changed a bit now though. I'd like a few more drawers. I think I'd prefer a cassette footplate as well. Perhaps a modular system I can expand or shrink as needed. I certainly don't think I need a deep storage box anymore as I tend to keep that sort of stuff in a carryall now.

So I was thinking of a 5 or 7 drawer modular type system. As ever Preston Absolute looks good and I suppose not too expensive.

However I saw another thread on here asking about the koala seat. So i thought why not have a look at their boxes. They actually look very good and a quite a saving to be made.

Has anyone got one or tried one? Or come to that any other recommendations or reasons not to get a Preston.

I think having some experience now I have 2 key requirements - more drawers and a cassette foot plate.

davej1981

Maybe of some help

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Also looked at getting one of their boxes within the last few weeks, But I've heard really mixed reviews on them which put me off.
I just opted to wait a while longer, Looked around on local selling pages and nearby listings on eBay for used boxes.

In the end I saved myself £200 and ended up with a reliably branded, better quality fishing box, albeit used.

Goodluck

Mickey1

Hi Gee Tee,bought the match station 4D mod-box pro,with wheel kit and side tray recently. For £240 it is an excellent box,the only fault I could find is that it comes without any instructions to put it together.Did suss it out eventually.Haven't used wheel kit yet,so can't comment on that,but so far well pleased with it especially as it is several hundred pounds cheaper than the mainstream boxes out there.

adriang

Site Supporter
leg tightening mechanism broke on my fathers one today, first time it was used. Will be interesting to see how their 'support/backup service' is.

marc_uk

Ive often though of upgrading but I just love my old seat box. It cost me a tenner off ebay with loads of trays and compartments. I do get sciatica so the boxes with the 360 swivel seats do look tempting... But at 43 I think ill struggle on a bit longer with my penrose :d

20200929-130531.jpg

robinta

I used to have a penrose 5 drawer and loved everything about it.. On one of my fishing 'sabbaticals' it stood unused and unloved in a leaky garage and the wood warped.. I sanded it down, fixed it up and sold it 5 years ago for something more modern, but I loved that box!

marc_uk

The wooden drawers are great and as you say you can always sand them down and make them look like new.

fishcatcher4

I have got the old Boss B-teck box.

Bought it new many moons ago and the first thing i did was varnish everything that was made of wood on it.

The one thing did after a few years was replace the legs (which were short) with the preston extending square legs.

It's still in good nick and also comfy to sit on.