New rod snapped

BarryS

Gone fishing
I posted a week or so ago about repairing my mate Alan's 13 ft power float rod.a Diawa...........as it was his favourite rod........In the process, I reduced it from a 13ft rod to a 12ft. But I mentioned he landed a 15lb carp on its first outing so it looks like the repair might hold up.
But it was was his birthday and like any good angler does given half a chance, he went and bought another 13ft power float also a Diawa a few days ago and he used it for the first time this week (20th)
"Well done," I said as I heard him playing and landing the first fish on his new rod. He walked up to where I was fishing holding the tip of his new rod.......the last 12 inches. "its broken on the first fish " It was a 4lb carp. Brand new rod.First outing First fish.
Alan is a well-experienced angler..... a bloke who knows how to play a fish he also uses a very long-handled net. Oh dear :(

So he is taking it back to see what the shop says. Any thoughts ?

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
If a rod has a manufacturing fault its usually a clean break and will normally fail in the first or second trip not 12 months later.
General manufacturing of branded rods has come on a lot so its rare to find a faulty one but it does happen even with a 1% failure rate 10 in every 1000 potentially may have a fault.
I can see it being an issue other than the availability of a replacement tip in the current situation.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Not often you hear of problems with Daiwa rods. Preston have had a problem with some of their tip rods ( Tyson I think ) but, not often you hear of Daiwa having problems. I’ve only ever broke one rod in 45 years but, I think I was partly to blame for that. I dropped it on gravel the week before and think this may have put a ‘ dink ‘ in it. Horrible feeling breaking a rod or pole section.

MarkW

As a confirmed 'cruncher' of rods and a hacksaw Harry to boot, I've only broken one Daiwa rod in owning them for over 30 years and that was a line wrap in a gale on an incredibly fine spliced tip; they are generally very reliable and tough. Rods I've snapped with ease include both Sundridge Kevin Ashurst match rods I owned (plus a mate's), the tips off several Normarks, an Edgar Sealey glass rod, various no. 4 pole joints..... And people wonder why I won't go near an Acolyte.....

It's the shop's problem.

richox12

He landed the fish ? The rod was intact when and immediately after landing the fish ? When did the tip snap ? And how ?

BarryS

Gone fishing
I am also a fan of Diawa rods and gear generally..........I did once break the top section of a 4 piece hardy fly rod ..and they wanted £125 for a new section...and that was 10 years ago. Needless to say that was my last Hardy rod. I broke a WF8 Orvis fly rod fighting a Chum salmon in Alaska ( boy do those things fight )
Orvis replaced the whole rod and case with no questions asked.

BarryS

Gone fishing
He landed the fish ? The rod was intact when and immediately after landing the fish ? When did the tip snap ? And how ?
As he netted the fish.....Not too many clues really.........and it was a clean break.

grey

Site Supporter
Rods rarely used to break, but now as brands strive to make them lighter, they trim as much carbon and resin from the rod. The result is a lighter but more fragile piece of kit. To use a trade term, rods are being built far closer to there 'fail-point'

A failed blank used to cost the brand dearly due to the lost work on the finishings (i.e. cork, reel-fitting, eyes, whippings and varnish). Now most brands pay a manufacturer to employ some bloke in China £1.87 to make the blank, 76½p for his kids to whip the whole rod, the initial investment into making the rod is no longer a high outlay - they can now afford a few rods to fail and take a chance with a lighter blank.

Ken suggests 1% failure rate, this is extremely low by current standards: 2.5% is generally acceptable with Chinese outsourced made rods, I know some rod ranges that are around 5% and some individual rods within certain ranges are notoriously fragile.

Rods don't always break the first time it is bent, otherwise QC would pick it up - quite often a rod can see quite a bit of use before a manufacturing fault develops.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I had a Frenzee float rod brake on it's 1st cast not that long ago it was a very clean break so returned it to Bobco who in turn returned it to Frenzee, unfortunately as they have just been taken over there were no spare sections available so the refunded me the purchase price with no problems. Also as has been said Daiwa are usually very reliable and the customer service is also 1st class so your friend should not have a problem

richox12

Clean break doesn't necessarily mean a fault. I think that's just an age old assumption. I'd be more worried if it snapped and was flat etc. If carbon rods/poles snap clean 'as carrots' that's normally simple over-stressing. E.G. that's how good carbon does break and what you'd expect..

Dropon

I had a Frenzee float rod brake on it's 1st cast not that long ago it was a very clean break so returned it to Bobco who in turn returned it to Frenzee, unfortunately as they have just been taken over there were no spare sections available so the refunded me the purchase price with no problems. Also as has been said Daiwa are usually very reliable and the customer service is also 1st class so your friend should not have a problem

Dropon

Many years ago I was looking to buy a new rod, the shop owner put it up and as usual said, ok what’s that like, he put the tip in his hands and said pull, just a bit of pressure on the rod, then ping ,about 6 inch of the rod in his hand.Thats one for the rep to sort out he said.

Marker50

Site Supporter
My mate had 2 tysons go near tip on there first trips
Swapped strate away .
His new one is ok