New pole

Blueblakey666

Hi
Currently use a MAP 401 2g (14.5) but looking to upgrade.
The question is what and worth it.
Local fishery been catching mainly carp between 8lb-17lb + some slabs.
Budget up to £1500
Daiwa, Preston, Browning, Maver?
New....second hand (top of range)
So many to choose from.
Anyone got any advice for which pole can handle these lumps + can use in winter too for smaller bits?
A good all round strong pole

thanks

Trent_Fisher

Site Supporter
I would say almost all poles these days are geared towards ever growing commercial carp.
For your budget you will undoubtedly get a quality pole. Your best bet is to wait until a shop with a pole alley is back open and try them out.
You may find the pole that people recommend doesn’t suit you.

brokenpole

Hi
Budget up to £1500
So many to choose from.
Anyone got any advice for which pole can handle these lumps + can use in winter too for smaller bits?

thanks
If you go on you tube on the Angling 4 u channel Ben Cook does a review of various poles at bob co pole alley.

Mchannan

Hi
Budget up to £1500
So many to choose from.

thanks
Hi
I am to looking for a new pole, i to fish similar venues, local ponds, lakes on club matches, open matches on commercial fishery, i want a light, stiff strong pole what i can fish long n shallow, fishing shallow slapping on ghe botyom, in a wind, fishing paste etc. etc
my budget of up to around 3k but only if i really need to as the longest i really fish is 14.5mtr, ive tried out a few poles, mtx3 ultra 16mtr, briiliant at 13mtr but the super stiffness drops at 14.5mtr. Still is well fishable.
Drennan acolyte rubbish pro, very stiff, well balance, really nice at 13mtr but 14.5mtr ut does lose some of its stiffness but still really good, was impressed with this pole, contender.
Map tks 601 3g slightly more than 1500, about 17 to 1800, 16mtr, nice at 13mtr, again loses is stiffness abit at 14.5mtr, still fishable, liked this. The 801, 901 just are the dogs. Been advised to go for the 801 as its stronger.
Daiwa, torny pro x, nice pole, stiff well balanced at 13mtr, airity improvement on been slighlty lighter stiffer.
Looking at reviews, friends and staff in tackle shops, say to go for 801.
I'd look at the mtx3 n the drennan acolyte pro carp, best poles i picked up for under 2k.

Drennan acolyte pro, any one got one, any one tell how they are?

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
my only comment on the acolyte is that the top kits are long (2.89m) when used in full. The double 2 kits can be used as f1 kits, but 2.89m is too long for me.

Mchannan

my only comment on the acolyte is that the top kits are long (2.89m) when used in full. The double 2 kits can be used as f1 kits, but 2.89m is too long for me.
Thsnks for making me aware of this Paul. Map 601 0r 801 but the mtx3 really goid at 13mtr, jyst loses it at 14.5mtr
Thi king about a daiwa pole, but they are abit shorter, not the full length so i am told, didnt bother me when i had a g90, nice pole but come undone easy

RMNDIL

Simple to overcome kit length if 2.89m is too long for you by choosing the Double Two kits instead as they're only about 2.3m. That's what they're for. Or mix and match as every kit will match up to the cupping kit anyway.

mbuna_matt

Stick with a MAP pole as all top kits will interchange? I have a 1st version 501 and wonder the same, but with a number of top kits its just not worth changing manufacturer............

Dropon

Can RMNDIL conform the length of double 2 kit is 2 .3 approx. when the short piece is removed . Thanks

RMNDIL

That's about right. Same length as Margin top 2 kit. Just make up the rigs on the 1 1/2 sections and break down on the lower part of the 'split' No 2

Bobby boy

Site Supporter
Hi
Budget up to £1500
So many to choose from.

thanks
I'm exactly in the same position and use the same pole currently, i also have the margin pole that shares the same mandrel ! So, I'm being told diawa, diawa, diawa, tourni pro that i know is a really good choice, but the cheaper Whisker X looks attractive but I'm told its not as strong. The draw that spares will be available for years and years sort of fall short as new technology and mandrels may give us more choice over the next few years ??? so fishing mostly at 13 and 14.5 and occasionally at 16 chasing the bites, as a standard club angler, having got all the MAP kits, my head is mush ! really interested to her how you get on. MTX3 keeps coming up as well with a short 4 at the best part of 1/2 the price. Cheers

Mchannan

Hi,
Well what a headache. Looked at drennan pro carp n acolyte pro. In my eyes not strong enough 4th, 5th. Tops slightly to long, they can be funny with spares. Other than that great pole. Nope not for me.
Map, great poles, 601, 801 n 901, I've plenty off top kits, good for spares but I think there a bit top heavy. 901 is straighter at longer lengths. nearly Bought the 901.
Mtx3 n Mtx4, 13mtr not much difference, Lovely poles, very nearly said wrap it up, felt nice.
But was told they are foreign made n he struggle for spares in years to come.
Garobino was the same, from previous experience with a super league. Although one the gmax 1000 n the accompliance evo 1 UK is an awesome pole but it's a top 5 for carp commercials and one for silver fish fishing. That said very nice super straight n stiff. Nope made in Italy I was told. Not for me.
So, super stiff poles like 901, garbo UK evo 1, will spin ya round in windy conditions.
Having owned a thorny pro, I wanted a more tech modern pole, a tackle shop near me has various pole packages with the torny pro, no, nice but wanted a more modern tech pole.
So, I settle on a daiwa Airity, reasons which might help you anglers make your own decisions.
Airity, so well balance, feels awesome even at longer lengths, stiff, light and got some give in it so makes fishing in windy conditions better. Strong enough for my style of fishing, commercials. Made by daiwa in the uk, well bonny scotland. Good for spares, with a very good 2nd hand market for resale at a later date, all of the above mind my mind up. I've spoken to daiwa uk, they mentioned that they might be improved poles coming out this year or next year, and you'll be able to buy sections. But they closed the shop at that, make ya own minds up.
Not an easy thing buying a new pole, poles suit people different, but i hope my thoughts and what ive been told helps you. Tight lines scretched elastics, and plenty of the thoughts, christ look at that !!!