New Pole or Second hand?

Pottsy00

I’m looking at buying a new pole as I’m getting back into fishing again. I bought my last pole in 2014. Cheap Avanti 14.5 m but rarely used it at more than 11m. My mate stood on one of the sections last year and I never bothered looking for a new one as I wasn’t going frequently enough to justify it, so I’ve been managing with what turns out a 8.5m pole. Only realised it was that short when I measured it just now. I’m looking for something that can be used at 11m and is stiff enough at that length but doesn’t need to be more than 12.5. Budget is £200. Would you look to buy something older second hand? It seems a lot of poles on the second hand market are about 10 years or so old. Or have poles advanced that much in the last decade that I’d be better off buying new. I’m really out of touch with advancements in the last decade. So any advice you can give will help me make a decision. Thanks in advance.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
With a £200 budget look at buying a good secondhand pole but just be careful and go see it if you can rather than buy it blind over the internet, unless it's someone you know or can be trusted.

There's plenty of bargains out there, and you could always bung an advert on the Maggotdrowning Classifieds to see if anyone has something to suit you

Dusty

I’ve had done cracking poles off of here over the years.
Trabucco Dream Team 14.5m for less than £120
2 x Shimano techniums and 2 holdalls for less than £200 with loads of top kits

Most recently picked up a Garbolino Gmax with 7 top kits for £200.

I’d definitely look second hand ?

IanG1

Site Supporter
Facebook market place is a good place to pick up bargains, you can search locally so can go and have a look before you part with cash. I have bought and sold poles on there. Quite a bit of stuff gets listed relatively cheap by disgruntled wife's and partners shifting the ex's gear when he has done one lol

Pottsy00

Thanks for the advice guys. Off to look at a Diawa XR2 today. Any advice on how to get spare top kits if I was to buy

IanG1

Site Supporter
I'd try to find a pole with as many top kits with it as you can to cover the type of fishing you want to do plus a cupping kit. Top kits for old poles can be hard to come by and some of the universal ones I have tried can upset the balance of the pole. Don't rush into the first you see, just bide your time and wait for a bargain to come up plus do your homework and what models/brands interchange sections and top kits

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I'd try to find a pole with as many top kits with it as you can to cover the type of fishing you want to do plus a cupping kit. Top kits for old poles can be hard to come by and some of the universal ones I have tried can upset the balance of the pole. Don't rush into the first you see, just bide your time and wait for a bargain to come up plus do your homework and what models/brands interchange sections and top kits
Good advice if you know what you’re looking for, and have quite a bit of experience, I personally have had many good poles secondhand in the past, but you can’t beat the feeling of buying brand new ?