New pole floats

Hi All
I have just purchased some new foam bodied pole floats
When they arrived the bodies have not been painted which isnt a problem as such but the finish is like a fine felt like texture which initialy traps air when shotting them up has anyone else experienced this and do they have to be painted

Krh57

Site Supporter
Apply a coat of acrylic paint, as it’s water based it should ‘soak’ into the body and ‘even’ up the surface. After it has dried throughly you varnish if you want too !

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Hi All
I have just purchased some new foam bodied pole floats
When they arrived the bodies have not been painted which isnt a problem as such but the finish is like a fine felt like texture which initialy traps air when shotting them up has anyone else experienced this and do they have to be painted
I think the thinking behind this finish is that there is not as much drag on the float when you get a bite. Like a sharks skin has a rough texture, it can move through the water faster because of less drag. They have tried swimming suits also with a rough finish and the swimmers said it was easier to swim in. I guess the maker thinks the fish won’t feel the float as it takes your bait.