New Pole £1500 budget

Stanley

I’ve always had Carp focused poles a a little heavy handed on the bank. Have recently moved to a Superium X Carp which I’m very happy with. The other pole on my list was the Drennan Carp. It’s worth going to a shop and holding them or able other option I found was have a walk round a large Open match/club match and see the poles in action. As it’s warming up hopefully you can find a 40-50 peg match. It’s never easy making a choice as it’s a large amount of money to invest in some carbon. We all have different things we like/dislike so worth having a hold and then making a decision. To be very honest all the mid-range poles these days are very good. Not expect it to be poker stiff at 14.5/16m. My X Carp is exceptionally good with the short no.3 even is strong side winds. Good luck.

davylad

Site Supporter
I'd get a Tricast Perception XN, unless you need 16m. It will blow the others away at 14m, IMHO of course.

Fishfinderuk

Site Supporter
The perception is a great pole for a great price,but tricast are not the force they use to be.i know alot of anglers that have cancelled orders because supply issues.

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
I have a real soft spot for Tricast but have to worry when people are waiting weeks just for top kits and they have a website that is in the main 4 years out of date.

Nicky Dodds

I heard that tricast were up for sale? If it's true then that maybe the reason they've slowed down a bit...

markwar

The acolyte is a carp pole,not as light or stiff as the matrix,but its stronger than the matrix.with a £1500 budget you really are spoilt for choice.Get to a pole alley and have a good look,as there's much better poles available than the two you mentioned for the money.
Both poles are listed as 1475gm at 16M on their respective manufacture's websites. The Acolyte is a true 16M at that weight, but the Matrix needs the short extension to make 16M, which is not included in the weight - when will we all wake up to this con by many manufacturers? As to stiffness, that is why it is best to try the poles and decide what is best for you. Both poles have their plus and minus points, and there are plenty of other poles of a similar standard at that price point.

karlfer

For what it's worth, you can pick up a Maver Oculus XS 999 within your budget.
An excellent all round pole. Light & stiff, excellent kit package & if you can spring for a short no 4 it's even better at longer lengths.
Since 1999 I've used Maver poles. Breakages have always been down to my clumsiness (there have been very few but I have my moments).

Twice in that time I have bought Diawa's. An Exceller Advanced and a G90. The number 6 on both poles broke unexpectedly and unexplainably.
On both occasions it took over 6 weeks to get a replacement.
I'll stick to Maver. Sorry you had a poor experience with a salesperson.

Good luck in your search & tight elastic 😁