New PC 'No signal'

Chervil

Site Supporter
I have purchased a new PC, which came with a monitor and other bits. I have tried to set it up this morning and I get a 'no signal' on the monitor, which means I cannot set it up.
I have tried with the supplied 15 pin cable and the nice supplied gold plated HDMI lead.
I have plugged the new monitor into my current PC and it works, but my old monitor shows 'no signal' when connected to the new PC. I have also tried a different HDMI.
'You there at the back, try and keep up'.

I've also taken the side off and pushed any connections I could find.

Their IT support is only open 9-5 Mon-Fri, which, as I'm at work, is of absolutely no use to me, although I have emailed them.

Any ideas, which don't include Duct tape, WD40, or a large hammer?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Is the Monitor a digital monitor or an older Analogue type?
If the older analogue it might not work with the graphics card or motherboard in the new PC.

I'm presuming the monitor will be digital being new but it all depends on where you bought it and the specifications.
If the PC has a separate graphics card then I'd suspect this before wasting time chasing down the problem

rd115

Non-catcher of Barbel
Site Supporter
Have you plugged the HDMI cable into the right HDMI port on the new PC? These days PC's can have onboard graphics (part of the CPU) as well as a discrete solution, meaning there can be 2 HDMI ports :D

If a discrete GPU is plugged in it can override the on-board GPU depending on how priorities are set in BIOS / System settings.

Chervil

Site Supporter
Is the Monitor a digital monitor or an older Analogue type?
If the older analogue it might not work with the graphics card or motherboard in the new PC.

I'm presuming the monitor will be digital being new but it all depends on where you bought it and the specifications.
If the PC has a separate graphics card then I'd suspect this before wasting time chasing down the problem
Dave, it's an HD LED monitor, as I said it came as a package, so I would assume they would be compatible. Graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Super
and it works when I connect it to my current PC which has the GeForce GTX 960.

Chervil

Site Supporter
Have you plugged the HDMI cable into the right HDMI port on the new PC? These days PC's can have onboard graphics (part of the CPU) as well as a discrete solution, meaning there can be 2 HDMI ports :D

If a discrete GPU is plugged in it can override the on-board GPU depending on how priorities are set in BIOS / System settings.
It only has one HDMI port, which sits next to the 15 pin VGA.

Edit - I could only see one, after reading your post I had another look, there are another 4 further down, which just look like grills. Plugged into one of those and we seem to have lift off.

Thank you all for your replies. A special thanks goes to rd115. Problem sorted in 23 minutes. The power of MDs(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Last edited:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The HDMI port which sits next to the 15 pin VGA will be the motherboard port. As you have a graphics card installed the PC will automatically configure to the graphics card ports not the motherboard port

rudd

Site Supporter
Now try a twin monitor set up from a laptop so you have three screens!

Chervil

Site Supporter
At the risk of sounding rude, have you looked at the instruction manual ?
Unfortunately, they don't seem to come with them anymore!
The entire paperwork was:
warranty for monitor
Piece of paper with the motherboard layout, how to install CPU etc (which was already done)
A booklet on the case, with a few pages in English on how to install the various components (already installed)
Booklet on the overview of the motherboard

This is my second new PC in 2 months, as the other one gave up after 24 hours, which is why I was a bit peed off when I couldn't get it to work this morning.

The other one, from a different manufacturer, also didn't have any paper work.

Everything is already downloaded, you don't even get a reboot disc, like you used to.

Last edited: