New PC, Arghhhhhhh

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Is there anything worse than trying to set up a new PC. My old one has got fat & slow so raided The Boss's piggy bank and bought a new one. I said a very naughty word when trying to get it set up. Still working on it. Good job I have a laptop as well.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
It should be a step by step by Neil - Is something in particular causing a problem ?

Think yourself lucky I get to look after 5 laptops 4 of which are used by ladies with very little IT skills. :sick:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I found the easiest way to set my new PC up was to take the old drives out of the old PC, put them in the new one as it was being loaded up with the operating system and then once done sort out what I wanted where and in my own time.

The minor configurations can be done at your own pace then.
Always, always, make a note of email logins, passwords and usernames, and back your browser favourites up first.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
I found the easiest way to set my new PC up was to take the old drives out of the old PC, put them in the new one as it was being loaded up with the operating system and then once done sort out what I wanted where and in my own time.

The minor configurations can be done at your own pace then.
Always, always, make a note of email logins, passwords and usernames, and back your browser favourites up first.
Does that have an English translation?

muskrat

STAY ALERT
Site Supporter
I usually spend hours trying to prevent the new PC from 'phoning home' and 'helping me' in many and various ways. With every new version of Windoze it gets harder to achieve. It really won't be long before I get one that actually says; "I'm sorry Muskie, I'm afraid I cant do that." :alien:

John Step

Site Supporter
My new Dell is super fast. Luckily I have a mate with a brain who set it up for me.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Straight out of the box most PC's should work quite easily, it's when you buy component PCs and have to load everything in from scratch, but even then compared to the olden days Windows 10 is quite user friendly in that respect, as long as you've an internet connection.

Chervil

Site Supporter
Remember to make a recovery disc/memory stick as soon as possible, 16 GB should do it, but be aware, it will wipe everything else on the stick. Also go into updates and update Windows.

HawkerMan

Site Supporter
This is why I use a chrome book just sign into your google account and everything is there even when you buy a new laptop.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Frustration caused by the PC asking for a password. Thing was it didn't tell me what system the password was for. Then as I stumbled my way through the Crystal Maze it didn't want to accept the password I knew to be correct. Add to that the picture on the monitor is offset to the left by about an inch so I can't access the left side of the image. Might be something to do with using a switch box to flick between old and new computers. The screen also seems to have adopted a new resolution that I can't resolve until I get the PC working. Then there are the endless questions most of which seem more about collecting data, answer NO, than helping me get up and running.

Got up and walked away before I took a hammer to the thing. No time now until Monday to start battling the stupid people who make these things far too complicated for the ordinary punter but obviously child's play for them.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
There lies the problem, basically straight out of the box set it up as they want it, pick a basic generic password, and do the personalisation once it's up and running

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Knowing Neil's "frugal" nature when he says PC does he mean an Etch-a-sketch? :D

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
It pees me off no end when every program needs an account with a password...... same with phones.
Gone is the day when you buy a phone or pc and it runs straight out of the box