Littletiddler

Hi all.
I'm Gary from Newcastle .
I've just taken up coarse Fishing again after 30 Years absence , I've spent my days sea fishing but am now fed up with it and after a walk to Bolam lakes and a chat with an Angler I bough a basic set up and headed off fishing on Friday.
Armed with worm and a pint of maggot I went back to Bolam lakes to try my luck, I Bought a Years permit along with my rod licence and set up my gear the same way I did as a young lad.
After about 4 hours of not having a bite I headed home , but loved every minute.
So here's a couple of questions ....
Is Bolam a decent spot to fish ? I know there are perch in there , what depth is the lake ? I'm guessing around 5 ft.?
I'm used to casting bait around 150 yards from the beach ,so was disappointed to be only casting around 20 ft max.
Looking at all the latest kit available I've a lot to pick up on but really willing to learn again,
I cut my teeth as a kid at Throckley Reeth catching perch all day long and would love to try there now if it still fishes , any local Anglers still go there ..?
Thanks and I hope to gain some good advice here.
Cheers
Gary

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Hey up Gazza another Geordie why aye man welcome on Board the Good ship Maggotdrowners where new members get their turn in the Barrel on Sundays ;);) You come to the right place mate (y)

J W

John
Site Supporter
Hi Gary

Welcome to the forum. A similar tale to myself with coming back to fishing after 25 years.

They're a really good bunch on here and you'll pick up loads of tips.

Enjoy.

John

160642fishing

Site Supporter
Welcome Garry,someone will come along eventually and give you a heads up on decent fishing local to you.

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
Hi Gary,
Welcome to MDs.

As 160642' says; someone near to you will no doubt give you some tips soon enough.

JayD

Hi Gary, welcome from a relative newcomer.
I don't know the water you mention, but have had a quick google, and it seems that it's predominately pike and perch, with bream, roach and rudd.
If you say how you are fishing it might help. You mention only casting 20yds or so, I catch most fish at less than half that distance. You think it's about 5ft deep, but natural waters are rarely uniform in depth, and using a plummet to determine how deep, and where it changes can be the difference between catching, and not. Feeding can make a big difference too. There are so many variables that can effect your fishing, but there is a wealth of experience and information on here that you can tap into. Ask away.

John/

MartinWY

Site Supporter
Hi all.
I'm Gary from Newcastle .
I've just taken up coarse Fishing again after 30 Years absence , I've spent my days sea fishing but am now fed up with it and after a walk to Bolam lakes and a chat with an Angler I bough a basic set up and headed off fishing on Friday.
Armed with worm and a pint of maggot I went back to Bolam lakes to try my luck, I Bought a Years permit along with my rod licence and set up my gear the same way I did as a young lad.
After about 4 hours of not having a bite I headed home , but loved every minute.
So here's a couple of questions ....
Is Bolam a decent spot to fish ? I know there are perch in there , what depth is the lake ? I'm guessing around 5 ft.?
I'm used to casting bait around 150 yards from the beach ,so was disappointed to be only casting around 20 ft max.
Looking at all the latest kit available I've a lot to pick up on but really willing to learn again,
I cut my teeth as a kid at Throckley Reeth catching perch all day long and would love to try there now if it still fishes , any local Anglers still go there ..?
Thanks and I hope to gain some good advice here.
Cheers
Gary

Welcome. My story is similar and 2020 is a whole new world. The stuff available now is brilliant. Rods are scarily thin, but strong and light, reels are small, light and powerful with what I'd call tiny reels capable of landing double figure carp with ease. Kit seems to have improved across the board if you ask me. I've had so much fun relearning things and trying out the new bits and bobs like hybrid feeders and new (to me) hair rig style.

You're going to love it.

Littletiddler

Thanks for the warm welcome Guys.
I'll need to review the way I set up as I just did the same as I did as a kid..float ..some bb shot and a hook, it served me well back in the day but times change and I'm eager to learn new tricks .

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Welcome Gary.

First thing to buy is a plummet. Don't guess at depths, plumb up to get it right.

Loads of videos on YouTube. Loads of willing responders to questions here.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Welcome mate, go with the flow, develop a thick skin and you will pick up loads of tips and gain some good mates.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Hello good evening and welcome.

Here is a PG top tip, your six ounce leads and 150 yard casts will be just right on your average commercial.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Welcome mate. I am from Gateshead. I not been around Bolam lakes for years. But remember reading about pike and perch a few years ago.

Kennyfish80

Hi Gary,
I'm just up the road in Killingworth and I am an experienced sea angler and a not very experienced fresh water angler, In fact I have only been out a few times now lol. I have been down to the "town waters" in Morpeth which was great but I am looking to get advice. I have looked at bolam and I think its £6 for a day ticket from The post office there.