New Member Just started pole fishing.

Pauly1990

Hi All

I’m not so new to fishing but pole fishing I am.

Just bought a superium margin pole. I have the top kits set up as follows 13 dura slip , 15 , 17.

I’m thinking about starting in the open water on a 13. Would a 4x16 with a bulk and droppers be a good place to start?

Hoping to catch not so big fish till I get used to holding and shipping the pole back and forth.

Any advice would be great.

Tight lines 🤞

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Lots of great YouTube content on pole setup and beginning

Look for Winning Ways, Des Shipp, Andy May, Jamie Hughes, Kayleigh Dowd - all do great pole starter videos

Float choice is dependant on many factors such as water depth, target species, wind/tow & bait so it will pay to have a look

Dura 13,15 & 17 are on the heavier side of elastics but if setup correctly will allow you to pick off smaller fish - be prepared to bump some though.

If you are learning, then rather than going full 13m maybe try a shorter line say 5m to get used to the strike, playing fish and shipping/breaking down the pole then gradually work out as you get more confident ?

Top kit plus 2 will, on the right water, get you a bite a chuck and you will quickly get used to breaking down at the top kit joint and maybe using a puller if fitted plus netting fish on a pole

D

Deleted member 23692

If you haven’t already, be worth buying the extension to 10m as it will make the pole that little more flexible. I tend to find 0.1g of float weight per foot of water is ideal.

Pauly1990

Out on the bank.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    845.4 KB · Views: 92
D

Deleted member 23692

Blue absolute 36 very nice. You might find the pole safe/sock easier to use attached to the leg without the ripple bar so it’s easier to hand.

Festa2020

Nice setup & great pole to start with. Not a lot to add which others haven't already said... However akin a memory of a fish I tend to opt for "metric floats" i.e. .30gr .50 gr as think its easier to shot than try and convert 4x16 etc. And use .10g per foot in calm conditions. Looks like you're off to a good start with that little common. Enjoy !!!

Pauly1990

Nice setup & great pole to start with. Not a lot to add which others haven't already said... However akin a memory of a fish I tend to opt for "metric floats" i.e. .30gr .50 gr as think its easier to shot than try and convert 4x16 etc. And use .10g per foot in calm conditions. Looks like you're off to a good start with that little common. Enjoy !!!
Cheers Festa 👍

Dslayer

dslayer
Hi All

I’m not so new to fishing but pole fishing I am.

Just bought a superium margin pole. I have the top kits set up as follows 13 dura slip , 15 , 17.

I’m thinking about starting in the open water on a 13. Would a 4x16 with a bulk and droppers be a good place to start?

Hoping to catch not so big fish till I get used to holding and shipping the pole back and forth.

Any advice would be great.

Tight lines 🤞
Best pole technique there is ....
Take each section in turn...
Hold each end of section at arms length just above shoulder height...
Lift knee (left or right, both good) so forms a right angle sticking out in front of you...
Swiftly bring down, trying to push section through knee down to ankle ... repeat until you hear a loud cracking sound...
Take next section - repeat as above until all sections completed..,.
Throw bits into bin and get out proper fishing gear...

Note this only applies to 5+ year olds who should have at least learnt to fish correctly by their age!!!

Pauly1990

Best pole technique there is ....
Take each section in turn...
Hold each end of section at arms length just above shoulder height...
Lift knee (left or right, both good) so forms a right angle sticking out in front of you...
Swiftly bring down, trying to push section through knee down to ankle ... repeat until you hear a loud cracking sound...
Take next section - repeat as above until all sections completed..,.
Throw bits into bin and get out proper fishing gear...

Note this only applies to 5+ year olds who should have at least learnt to fish correctly by their age!!!
So what’s proper fishing then?

OldTaff

Site Supporter
So what’s proper fishing then?
Any technique it system that allows you to catch fish - pole, float rod, feeder, bite alarm setup, centrepin & split cane - whatever takes your fancy and makes you happy.