New member - Feeder rod help

Jim lea

Afternoon all, just joined and looking for some help. Been fishing on and off for 45 yrs and just getting into method fishing. I’ve only got a cheapish Avon rod with a few tips rod and today was struggling to hit 40 yds with a 25gm feeder. Can you recommend a feeder rod, ideally sub £100.00 that would be able to handle this and be versatile at the same time.
All the best
Jim

PAB

Site Supporter
Drennan series 7 10ft or 11ft puddle chucker if you can get one ( worth looking for second hand) they have now stopped making them for there new models I find them a fantastic rod and have had tiny roach to many carp well into doubles I cant fault them for the price failing that a Drennan Acolyte Plus a bit more ££ but my go to rod at the moment love how slim it is and handles every thing I put it through.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
The replacement range for the series 7 is the vertex and they’re not much more than £100. Also bobco are selling of a lot of Shakespeare £100 plus rrp stock for £70 odd at the moment.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Quite a bit of stuff being discontinued shortly so you could find bargains in Shakespeare, Preston Monster range or best of them in my opinion Daiwa TDM Power Method or Commercial feeder.
You are spoiled for choice really as there are lots of good rods for that sort of job including the new Vertex range from Drennan that are much improved from the old Series 7 range.

foster82

I have a 10ft Diem feeder rod that I picked up from sports direct for £12 I think . That's doing me well so far.

notneeded

The 1st pie winner 2019
Site Supporter
I did a review on Sonik rods ,I like them and they do the job I want for around 40 pound each .

Jim lea

Thanks all - a great help, bit of a drennan fan so will take a look at the vertex
All the best

Jim lea

So I’ve looked at the vertex range and there is 3 lengths, 10/11/12 foot, how would I choose one over the the other ?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Depends what you want it for. 10ft will do you for small lakes and small to medium rivers, 12ft for big lakes and big rivers and 11ft is the kind of cover all bases option so is what I’d go for.

rudd

Site Supporter

2nd hand carbonactive mini will be more than suitable.
Awsome little rods IMO. Wish I had bought the mini flot when I saw one for £45 the other week.
Another 2nd hand option is a puddle chucker.

rd115

Non-catcher of Barbel
Site Supporter
I bought a Daiwa Yank 'n' Bank 10 foot mini method and easily chucks a 25 gram feeder 40 yards (using 6lb maxima) they do longer rods with bigger casting weights in the range too. Really good rod, soft enough for playing fish but seems to have plenty of backbone. Feels really premium for the money. (£65-£80)

rods come 9ft-12ft, all rods 2 sections with 3 tips.

Jim lea

Thanks for all your help,
Looked at a Maverick abyss, however it’s been discontinued. In the end, ordered a Drennan Vertex 11ft which should be arriving Thurs/Friday.
All the best
Jim