New Line from Preston Reflow Accu Power

Fred Davis

I must admit to liking a lot of preston gear however line was the exception all though mates have raved about refo power line the fact that it was well understated in diameter always put me off I used to look at my mates rigs who raved about refo power and the stuff looked thick curly not very limp and not what I wanted, maybe I dismissed this line to quickly but I wanted a line that was just a bit more accurate in diameter, limp strong, a line where you could move shots without the line curling up and was robust when fishing commercials, so I settled on ultima extreme, and eventually became sponsored by ultima and used the Ultima power match, now as we know ultima match lines no longer exist so my search for a new line to take it's place has been going on for some seasons trying this line and that my box has had various strains from different brands Guru .22 sits in my box along with some Nick Gilbert line some old ultima line and a few other brands not ideal as you really need to find a brand and stick with it, that way you get to know the strengths and weaknesses of each strain of line and how far you can push it before stepping up to the next BS, Now I must admit it was a lucky chance entering a competition on facebook that won me a full selection of power reflow Accue line, however it was a freebie so I needed to check it out before the usual bin job, well to my surprise the line has all of the qualities that I look for it is accurate in diameter it is limp and the shots don't crinkle the line, the spools this line is loaded on are brilliant and so there is no wastage, I was also surprised at the price only 4.99 a spool, when other lines cost a quid more this is a bargain, so confident I am of this line I have spent the last few weeks tying up all new hook
lengths with the new line, need less to say I have become a bit of a tackle tart because my preston inception seatbox drawer is now loaded up with preston reflow accu line, if I invest in a new pole I may have to buy the preston response M90 XS and look the full part as most of my gear is now preston!!!!!!!!!!!! It's worth checking this line out as it is a bargain at the price and a very good line to boot.

DevonDangler

Site Supporter
I must admit to liking a lot of preston gear however line was the exception all though mates have raved about refo power line the fact that it was well understated in diameter always put me off I used to look at my mates rigs who raved about refo power and the stuff looked thick curly not very limp and not what I wanted, maybe I dismissed this line to quickly but I wanted a line that was just a bit more accurate in diameter, limp strong, a line where you could move shots without the line curling up and was robust when fishing commercials, so I settled on ultima extreme, and eventually became sponsored by ultima and used the Ultima power match, now as we know ultima match lines no longer exist so my search for a new line to take it's place has been going on for some seasons trying this line and that my box has had various strains from different brands Guru .22 sits in my box along with some Nick Gilbert line some old ultima line and a few other brands not ideal as you really need to find a brand and stick with it, that way you get to know the strengths and weaknesses of each strain of line and how far you can push it before stepping up to the next BS, Now I must admit it was a lucky chance entering a competition on facebook that won me a full selection of power reflow Accue line, however it was a freebie so I needed to check it out before the usual bin job, well to my surprise the line has all of the qualities that I look for it is accurate in diameter it is limp and the shots don't crinkle the line, the spools this line is loaded on are brilliant and so there is no wastage, I was also surprised at the price only 4.99 a spool, when other lines cost a quid more this is a bargain, so confident I am of this line I have spent the last few weeks tying up all new hook
lengths with the new line, need less to say I have become a bit of a tackle tart because my preston inception seatbox drawer is now loaded up with preston reflow accu line, if I invest in a new pole I may have to buy the preston response M90 XS and look the full part as most of my gear is now preston!!!!!!!!!!!! It's worth checking this line out as it is a bargain at the price and a very good line to boot.

Used 0.20 on some rigs recently, went horribly curly when I moved float up or down, didn’t use to get that with Reflo Power. 😢

Fred Davis

yes you have to be very careful when moving floats on most lines, I take a bit of care when moving mine although I do wet the line before moving them to ensure they slip. But a good test of this is to move shot and not much gets tighter than lead on the line and stotz and shot move without damaging this line but again wet the line before moving them.

johng19

me@home.com
Site Supporter
I have use power for years for my maine line, and never had one problem with it. Might be understatered but is very strong so if I'm worried it's to thick, I just would go down to the next size I have yet to try the new stuff.
I have been using stroft for hook lengths of late, found this line very good.

Fred Davis

Very personal choice lines, I would not be surprised if the new line is the same as the refo power but more accurately miked up, I see a post saying that the 0.20 was not as strong as the refo power 0.19 that is more than likely because the 0.19 is more than likely 0.21 ;-), I know when I worked with Ultima the Ultima Power match was virtually the same as the previous ultima extreme just a slight tweak here and there and rebranding. However preston state it is a new line as did Ultima with Power match lets face it they are not going to say otherwise, "new sells" especially if it's improved spools packaging and promotion and if it's good does it matter?

Last edited:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Only used it a couple of times but to me the new Accu Power seems more prestretched as it was weaker than the old Power. Maybe that's because it's not understated anymore. Also explains why I tend to fish quite light with the old Power.

Kev86

I used it twice and then threw both spools I bought in the bin, I thought it was rubbish.

Kev

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
Ultima power match was my preferred line was gutted when it was discontinued, tried guru line and was thicker than stated on the spool and had breakages on hook links which cost me in matches, swapped to silstar and big improvement over the guru line, but not quite clear line, done quite a bit of bomb and pellet work the last few months using .18 .20 and .22 Accu power and so far it has proved quite strong for hook links,putting the line on a micrometer it is quite accurate with most spools being just .03 over the stated diameter.
Seriously thinking of swapping pole hook links and pole rigs over to it myself

Fred Davis

Chris sounds like you have travelled the same road as me Ultima power match was a brilliant line and I was gutted when my stocks ran low I have used all my
0.22 and other strains have all but been used up so needed to find something that I liked, the new preston line isn't half bad, Ok the big plus was I got a lot of it as a freebie however that just makes the change over a lot less costly, and a lot of other match lines seem to go up to 0.20 and stop.

trotter2

Ultima power match was my preferred line was gutted when it was discontinued, tried guru line and was thicker than stated on the spool and had breakages on hook links which cost me in matches, swapped to silstar and big improvement over the guru line, but not quite clear line, done quite a bit of bomb and pellet work the last few months using .18 .20 and .22 Accu power and so far it has proved quite strong for hook links,putting the line on a micrometer it is quite accurate with most spools being just .03 over the stated diameter.
Seriously thinking of swapping pole hook links and pole rigs over to it myself
Chris if you tie equal of Silstar and gtm together and pull for a break . I guarantee the Silstar will snap first. It's an easy test anyone can do.
Try it for yourself I did.
Both lines are quite accurate in my dia tests I may add. I can't find anything stronger per dia than gtm line.

Fred Davis

I must admit I am not a fan of silstar match line I used it years ago, when it first came out It was one of the best around, however time moved on. I stopped using it when fishing the canal at Ivanhoe for the big bags and big double figure canal carp, silstar just didn't hack it even the 0.20 was getting snapped like cotton, my mate was having the same problems funny we started on 0.16 and worked our way up the strains all made the same noise crackkkkkkkkkkkkkkk ;-)

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
Chris if you tie equal of Silstar and gtm together and pull for a break . I guarantee the Silstar will snap first. It's an easy test anyone can do.
Try it for yourself I did.
Both lines are quite accurate in my dia tests I may add. I can't find anything stronger per dia than gtm line.

I never thought about tying two lines together to test them, will have to try that, I may order some .18 GTM and try that against the .18 accupower, not fully committed all my rigs and hook lengths yet to the Accupower,

trotter2

I never thought about tying two lines together to test them, will have to try that, I may order some .18 GTM and try that against the .18 accupower, not fully committed all my rigs and hook lengths yet to the Accupower,
Make you you post the results please Chris
Cheers

Nicky Dodds

As well as it's thickness I could never get a satisfactory knot with power line. Preston reel lines seemed to weaken very quickly. The best lines I ever used were ultima omega pro, carp cruncher, pro hooklength, and power plus as an all round reel line. Extreme and power match I thought were a backward step as a rig line.

Stufov

I used it twice and then threw both spools I bought in the bin, I thought it was rubbish.

Kev
I bought the new Preston line because I couldn’t find any power line in the diameter I wanted. I made some rigs up on the new line and I found that even though it was accurate in the diameter it was curly when i put the rigs on the pole which isn’t what you get with power line in all diameters. For me even though it’s not accurate on the diameter it’s the best line I’ve ever used and for me I won’t change what isn’t broken. Power line all day for me for main line rigs and for hooklenths

trotter2

It would not surprise me if stroft gtm and preston reflo is the same line.It's very similar imo.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
It would not surprise me if stroft gtm and preston reflo is the same line.It's very similar imo.
Doubt very much it is, the BS claimed by Preston for each dia is a fair bit less than Stroft, I am guessing the Accu is slightly pre stretched. I use Stroft for all my fishing, never lets me down, a great line.

trotter2

Doubt very much it is, the BS claimed by Preston for each dia is a fair bit less than Stroft, I am guessing the Accu is slightly pre stretched. I use Stroft for all my fishing, never lets me down, a great line.
Yes I know , it also says made in Germany and ones Japan. But forget what it says on the label if you knot them together equal dia (measured).
There is no diffrence in strenght that I can detect they are as near as each other as to make no diffrence. Try it Maesknoll

Fred Davis

I have noticed the GTM on e bay at 5.99 free postage or 3.99 and postage that pushes the price up to around 7+ Ok 130 meters still more expensive, as for Ultima power plus reel line although at the time as a sponsored angler I had to promote the line, I wasn't a great fan, much preferring the power steel (super strong) and tried to guide anglers onto this product, which they still sell as a sea line and the 8lb is available in 1000 metre spools and cheaper than when it was sold as a match feeder line, this is so abrasion resistant and so strong for feeder work it's a must, never ever been broke on the stuff, now that's saying something, I always said if I hooked an island I would be able to pull it closer before this line broke, a few friends who have tried it continue to use it to this day, buying the sea version however they do several types of the line so you have to make sure you pick the right one. I did a line test on maxima and ultima power steel on a machine that stretches the line slowly and test the strength before the line snaps, the power steel was off the chart and maxima unfortunately a brand that a lot of anglers love was poor to say the least, other lines varied all miked up to ensure consistency in the outcome, some were good others not so, they did bring out bulk spools of an Ultima line was it power? to compete with daiwa sensor however both are cheap budget lines ,ok ,but not top end. Lines I disregarded. However as I said lines are a personal choice and some anglers swear by one brand and dislike other brands.