New line flying off spool.

richox12

ok so I've got two of these reels and put 8lb and 10lb on each. I didn't try the 8lb as it was on my son's, but just tried it and that seems to be ok.

mine on the other hand is like this if you just pull a cm or two.
PXL_20210906_121249232.jpg PXL_20210906_121245321.jpg
That line is seriously twisted. I bet it's a nightmare through the rod guides as well - twisting up if slack. Assuming it's been loaded the correct way (it doesn't make any difference if it's off the edge with spool of line rotating or off of the face of the line spool with the direction of line same as the rotor of the reel) and you haven't been winding in with the clutch slipping it might, just might, even be that the reel itself is causing the twists. As I said before winding in a weight under tension can cause even a 'good' reel (Daiwa TDR/TDM and even Ninja's do it) to twist. You'll know because you'll wind in your empty feeder, swing it in - don't grab it just let it hang there - and then it'll spin like mad (which can also be caused/partially caused by the shape of feeder). It's made worse by winding in very fast.

Nothing to do with the line itself though. Although, unless you are as big as Goliath, that looks a very small reel (small diameter) to be loading thick line onto as I said before.

RMNDIL

Just in case.....you haven't bent the bail arm have you ? If the 'attitude' of the roller/roller housing isn't right it will twist up like mad.

Paulr70

That line is seriously twisted. I bet it's a nightmare through the rod guides as well - twisting up if slack. Assuming it's been loaded the correct way (it doesn't make any difference if it's off the edge with spool of line rotating or off of the face of the line spool with the direction of line same as the rotor of the reel) and you haven't been winding in with the clutch slipping it might, just might, even be that the reel itself is causing the twists. As I said before winding in a weight under tension can cause even a 'good' reel (Daiwa TDR/TDM and even Ninja's do it) to twist. You'll know because you'll wind in your empty feeder, swing it in - don't grab it just let it hang there - and then it'll spin like mad (which can also be caused/partially caused by the shape of feeder). It's made worse by winding in very fast.

Nothing to do with the line itself though. Although, unless you are as big as Goliath, that looks a very small reel (small diameter) to be loading thick line onto as I said before.
Yeah I am pretty quick swinging the feeder in and not letting it twist that way.

I'm going to pick up a new reel today, I suspect it's that. thanks

cuzza

It’s probably the “soaking in warm water for an hour” that softened it and when it cools down it’s the shape of the spool and stays that way. Winding in water is supposedly good for braid (I don’t) but warm water with nylon seems like asking for trouble. For normal line I just wind through a towel held between my knees to give some tension.

Paulr70

It’s probably the “soaking in warm water for an hour” that softened it and when it cools down it’s the shape of the spool and stays that way. Winding in water is supposedly good for braid (I don’t) but warm water with nylon seems like asking for trouble. For normal line I just wind through a towel held between my knees to give some tension.
Thanks, I did the same on an 8.5lb line and the 10lb but on different reels, the 8.5lb seems fine. I think it maybe line thickness and spool size, and like you say maybe the soak aswell didnt help.

nejohn

Site Supporter
A question you need to ask yourself is do you really need to use 8lb and 10lb line ? you don't say what is the average size fish you are catching, don't choose your line by the biggest fish in the fishery as although you might hook one of those you are more than likely to catch many more of the average sized fish so choose your line and tackle accordingly. If you are more likely to catch fish in the 5-10lb range then I would say that 6lb line would be good and use a rod that is suitable for 6lb line. If you do hook something larger then the rod will do a lot of work while you play the fish. If you use the clutch on your reels you must remember not to wind the handle while the clutch is giving line as this will almost certainly put some twist into your line. With the correct rod I would be quite comfortable playing and landing a 15lb fish on 6lb line OK you might have to take a little more care but you should still be able to land it.

Paulr70

A question you need to ask yourself is do you really need to use 8lb and 10lb line ? you don't say what is the average size fish you are catching, don't choose your line by the biggest fish in the fishery as although you might hook one of those you are more than likely to catch many more of the average sized fish so choose your line and tackle
yeah thanks, its just last two sessions at different lakes we`ve got upto 20lb fish on a 6mm pellet or bandum with a 16 hook. Last weekend i caught three over 13lb. So thats why i was going for an 8 or 10lb line. I`ve purchased a korum latitude 6000 reel , so i`m going to give that a go.
Thanks for the clutch tip, will remember that. I think only a couple of the larger fish i had to use that, but before the line was still twisted.