New koi pond

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Hi all i have decided to do something i thought i would never do again and thats to build a new koi pond . Im going to make it 3.6m x2.4 x 1.5m deep ,mostly out of ground with a 1.8m x 900 laminated glass viewing window . So far i have spent quite a bit , there will be 55 ish 2.4m x 200mmx100mm sleepers layed flat ways and screwed down and together ,there will be a box welded butyl pond liner with a spindrifter bottom drain and 2 returns back into the pond ,there will be a nexus 320 plus ,a 55watt uv ,1 4inch ball valve and 3 1.5 in ball valve isolators , one 130 litre air pump for the filter and 1 60 litre air pump for the bottom drain , the return pump will be 10000 litres on max setting .Im fitting an in-line de chlorinator to help with water quality . This may all take a while to fruition due to only working on it on weekends and maybe next week if the materials arrive 😀. Wish me luck , il keep up dating my post's for any one thats interested, i will be stocking the pond with about 8 ish nice quality koi a few at a time . Pics to follow as i start .

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
It sounds like a plan - good look and don't forget the photos (y)

robert d

Site Supporter
Hi all i have decided to do something i thought i would never do again and thats to build a new koi pond . Im going to make it 3.6m x2.4 x 1.5m deep ,mostly out of ground with a 1.8m x 900 laminated glass viewing window . So far i have spent quite a bit , there will be 55 ish 2.4m x 200mmx100mm sleepers layed flat ways and screwed down and together ,there will be a box welded butyl pond liner with a spindrifter bottom drain and 2 returns back into the pond ,there will be a nexus 320 plus ,a 55watt uv ,1 4inch ball valve and 3 1.5 in ball valve isolators , one 130 litre air pump for the filter and 1 60 litre air pump for the bottom drain , the return pump will be 10000 litres on max setting .Im fitting an in-line de chlorinator to help with water quality . This may all take a while to fruition due to only working on it on weekends and maybe next week if the materials arrive 😀. Wish me luck , il keep up dating my post's for any one thats interested, i will be stocking the pond with about 8 ish nice quality koi a few at a time . Pics to follow as i start .
Made a start, weather has turned for the worse 🙃 ,i thought that might happen . I managed to drive the mini digger down the drive and through an awkward turn through the back gate , tried the digger but when it lifted there was a warm wind from below and my son decided to take over 😀.

Attachments

• 20220725_175210.mp4
    44 MB

robert d

Site Supporter
Made a start, weather has turned for the worse 🙃 ,i thought that might happen . I managed to drive the mini digger down the drive and through an awkward turn through the back gate , tried the digger but when it lifted there was a warm wind from below and my son decided to take over 😀.
He is covering my raised bed i just put in lol 😆, il find somewhere to put the excess soil , not sure the farmer will let me spread it behind my fence .

robert d

Site Supporter
Fishing brollies come in handy sometimes 🙃

robert d

Site Supporter
How long will it take you mate?
Its a couple of weeks work ,then wait after filling up with water to check for leaks and get water quality as good as possible before the fish go in , ive got lots of other things going on ,doctors ,hospital,and work so it will take me a while lol 😆.

robert d

Site Supporter

Attachments

• 16589387726075197627138733081270.jpg
    16589387726075197627138733081270.jpg
    897.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 1658938829165226968004905001190.jpg
    1658938829165226968004905001190.jpg
    577.3 KB · Views: 54

robert d

Site Supporter
Soil is all out ,cant believe how much there is lol, base whacker plated ,just a little bit more leveling up and then 6 inch of concrete to mix and put in the bottom after i have fitted the spindrifter bottom drain and 4inch and 1inch pipe ,all in pressure pipe . After the base has set i will raise the sides in concrete to ground level either in blocks or shuttered concrete , then fit the railway sleepers flat ways bolted to concrete and fixed together with 150mm tapcon screws with water proof glue added and 12mm re bar drilled through to add a bit mire strength, especially where the 1.8 x 900 window will be fitted .

robert d

Site Supporter
Soil is all out ,cant believe how much there is lol, base whacker plated ,just a little bit more leveling up and then 6 inch of concrete to mix and put in the bottom after i have fitted the spindrifter bottom drain and 4inch and 1inch pipe ,all in pressure pipe . After the base has set i will raise the sides in concrete to ground level either in blocks or shuttered concrete , then fit the railway sleepers flat ways bolted to concrete and fixed together with 150mm tapcon screws with water proof glue added and 12mm re bar drilled through to add a bit mire strength, especially where the 1.8 x 900 window will be fitted .
So far the cost is around £6000 if anyone wanders but ive had good equipment, it could cost a lot more if i had drum filters ect

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Before you put the concrete in put a DPM down and fold it up the sides. It will prevent the moisture in the concrete from being sucked into the sand weakening the mix and possibly leading to cracking ;)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I always work on 3x spoil per hole dug - so if a 1m3 hole, expect 3m3 of spoil.

Where's it all going, over the fence ;) ?

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
If it’s all good topsoil, have a word with the farmer. He may well let you chuck it over the fence, as long as it’s not in one great heap.

JLK

Sieve it bag it and flog it as terre de Scarboroughsom. 👍🏻
Koi carp pond my arse. You're really making yourself a little pit to practise you're edge fishing on aren't you. Tollerton stylee 😂

robert d

Site Supporter

Some lol , the farmer hasnt harvested his rape seed yet , il wait and sneak out some nights 😂,

robert d

Site Supporter

Base will be 6inch of concrete ,would you bother with mesh type rebar , i was hoping not to , i did on my last pond but that was 5000 gallons ish .

robert d

Site Supporter
Before you put the concrete in put a DPM down and fold it up the sides. It will prevent the moisture in the concrete from being sucked into the sand weakening the mix and possibly leading to cracking ;)
Thats my soil ,very sandy isnt it Dave , looks like i put a few ton of sand in