New idea needed for bream Ground bait

Fartacus

I've been fishing a water for big bream, I started about three weeks ago these fish generally
don't get fished for infact the pond doesn't get fished much. That is until a few weeks ago
now a fair few of these fish have been landed.

Along story short this is the third week of fishing this pond and I've blanked i've blanked
now for the 4 time. I've been getting there at 5am and fin around 4pm and at one point
a pattern emerged getting line bites then one bite and one fish and that spooked them.

And now no signs what so ever, the Ground bait i've been using is
Vitalin, molasses, hemp, sweetcorn and 8mm pellets.... and corn on the hook.

These are the sort of fish I'm getting 10.3 and 11.4 quality fish my guess is it's one group of fish that patrol the pond.

I've been fishing avon rods carp style and now will be fishing for them with my feeder rod,
what ground bait would you use for something a bit different..

Attachments

• IMG_20200711_134322.jpg
    IMG_20200711_134322.jpg
    561.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20200715_132411.jpg
    IMG_20200715_132411.jpg
    642.9 KB · Views: 24

Silver fan 82

Dynamite swim stim green or green lipped muscle works quite well with molasses mixed in. I would prefer a fisheal groundbait over a sweet, biscuit based groundbait. I mix in either corn, pellets, hemp, chopped worm or a combo of these.
How much grounbait have you been feeding?

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
I have no experience of bream of this size. But my go-to groundbait were I to fish a lake with large bream would be my home made groundbait enhanced with a tin or two of fish flavoured tinned catfood that has been pushed through a riddle.

On the odd occasion I have fished a bream water it seems to have worked.

From my blog

"Groundbait
I use fish flavour dry catfood. Used to be Morrisons but they changed their recipes so now its Tesco Premium Cat Crunchies, salmon, trout, tuna & shrimp - £1.35 a kilo.

I liquidise the catfood and pass it through a flour sieve* I then mix the powder with brown crumb, also sieved. Two thirds cat food to one third crumb. It takes on a lot of water but makes a nice friable mix that is good for both balling and Method feeder. I have caught carp, bream, tench, roach, and even small catfish (in France) using this mix.

I have also enhanced the mix occasionally when targeting larger bream or bream dominated waters by adding a tin of fish flavour catfood that has been pushed through a maggot riddle. Mix the groundbait first and then add the catfood. "

mickthestick

Hod job
Site Supporter
Try a darker Groundbait mix , something that won't stand out but with plenty of bait in it , personally I would leave the hemp out and go with Casters and dead reds

Rick123

Site Supporter
I've been fishing a water for big bream, I started about three weeks ago these fish generally
don't get fished for infact the pond doesn't get fished much. That is until a few weeks ago

Along story short this is the third week of fishing this pond and I've blanked i've blanked
now for the 4 time. I've been getting there at 5am and fin around 4pm and at one point
a pattern emerged getting line bites then one bite and one fish and that spooked them.

These are the sort of fish I'm getting 10.3 and 11.4 quality fish my guess is it's one group of fish that patrol the pond.

I've been fishing avon rods carp style and now will be fishing for them with my feeder rod,

I had a load of old boilies and pellets last year and ground them all up. Its a bream magnet sadly, and I've had to stop using it on my carp water as I get breamed out. The mix was Krill boilies 3 kilo and normal fish based pellets about the same. Best Bream to date are 12.14 lake fish and two doubles from the Trent? Clearly you don't have to have that quantity, make less?

Rick123

Site Supporter

One thing I will add, is the water deep, do you see the fish go? I ask as Bream can eat a huge amount of food, are you feeding enough at the start? I would keep the hemp (sorry) as it keeps them in the swim all that particle, and maybe feed more at the start. Where do they move to? Try baiting two swim at different depths, maybe they are in shallow water early, then move to deeper water later on? Worth a try maybe? I did this in Ireland and caught all day?

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Years ago it would be squatts as feed balled in with groundbait and home bred maggot on the hook which was replaced by caster with worm fed through an open ended feeder which was more recently replaced with method feeder with pellets or fishmeal groundbait and a wafter on the hook.
The common theme is that you give them something to root in to keep them in your swim in a big enough quantity to last a few hours.
If its a pond these fish will have been stocked by somebody as Bream need plenty of room to grow to that sort of size so its possible only a few were put in to begin with.