New House Farm, Church Stretton, Shropshire

WickerDave

Site Supporter
My worst warm/hot weather session by far here yesterday afternoon/evening with only a few fishing. The afternoon swim choice was dictated by the weather; somewhere with the sun behind so I could get shade under an umbrella and also in the open to take advantage of what breeze there was.

DSC05944.jpg

There were carp cruising everywhere and taking loose mixers well, with some active in the margins. An early drop a couple of inches out in front of a nice common was taken confidently and a 9lbish fish was landed. This was followed soon after by a 1lbish roach from the margins. Maybe this wasn't going to be as tough as I was expecting.

DSC05933.jpg

DSC05935.jpg

After that it went downhill rapidly. A group of four ducks and a couple of female moorhens were unusually persistent on the surface loose feed and made presenting a bait difficult. When I did get a carp on they wouldn’t stay on, three were lost to hook pulls and one to a hook length that gave way when it shouldn’t have. I only managed two smallish carp from the surface, one of which was a last cast fish. Fishing shallow under the rising fish got little interest. A very frustrating afternoon!

I returned for a couple of hours after dinner expecting an improvement, but the cruising carp had been replaced by very small roach that were dimpling the calm surface. Feeding loose mixers got very little interest from the carp and too much interest from the ducks and moorhens again. An 8oz roach and a lost small carp was the only surface action. The margins were quiet too, but eventually produced two small carp as it was getting dark.

DSC05945.jpg

Mike Dulson

Fair play Dave they are lovely fish.
I finally managed to fish the venue last friday with my friend who caught 2 nice carp.
Me on the other hand struggled and all i could catch were small roach both on the waggler and method feeder.
The pool is a lovely place with stunning views but i was shocked by the amount of people that turned up especially around 4pm.

WickerDave

Site Supporter
Mike, from my "like Blackpool" comments on here and the first private message detail you were warned! Friday and Saturday are probably the worst days to fish at this time of year as people arrive to camp or night fish for the weekend. Roll on the winter, when I get to fish it on my own!

Mike Dulson

Mike, from my "like Blackpool" comments on here and the first private message detail you were warned! Friday and Saturday are probably the worst days to fish at this time of year as people arrive to camp or night fish for the weekend. Roll on the winter, when I get to fish it on my own!
Yep you were spot on mate
I'm definitely going to return but on a quieter day 😉