New House Farm, Church Stretton, Shropshire

WickerDave

Site Supporter
My worst warm/hot weather session by far here yesterday afternoon/evening with only a few fishing. The afternoon swim choice was dictated by the weather; somewhere with the sun behind so I could get shade under an umbrella and also in the open to take advantage of what breeze there was.

DSC05944.jpg

There were carp cruising everywhere and taking loose mixers well, with some active in the margins. An early drop a couple of inches out in front of a nice common was taken confidently and a 9lbish fish was landed. This was followed soon after by a 1lbish roach from the margins. Maybe this wasn't going to be as tough as I was expecting.

DSC05933.jpg

DSC05935.jpg

After that it went downhill rapidly. A group of four ducks and a couple of female moorhens were unusually persistent on the surface loose feed and made presenting a bait difficult. When I did get a carp on they wouldn’t stay on, three were lost to hook pulls and one to a hook length that gave way when it shouldn’t have. I only managed two smallish carp from the surface, one of which was a last cast fish. Fishing shallow under the rising fish got little interest. A very frustrating afternoon!

I returned for a couple of hours after dinner expecting an improvement, but the cruising carp had been replaced by very small roach that were dimpling the calm surface. Feeding loose mixers got very little interest from the carp and too much interest from the ducks and moorhens again. An 8oz roach and a lost small carp was the only surface action. The margins were quiet too, but eventually produced two small carp as it was getting dark.

DSC05945.jpg

Mike Dulson

Fair play Dave they are lovely fish.
I finally managed to fish the venue last friday with my friend who caught 2 nice carp.
Me on the other hand struggled and all i could catch were small roach both on the waggler and method feeder.
The pool is a lovely place with stunning views but i was shocked by the amount of people that turned up especially around 4pm.

WickerDave

Site Supporter
Mike, from my "like Blackpool" comments on here and the first private message detail you were warned! Friday and Saturday are probably the worst days to fish at this time of year as people arrive to camp or night fish for the weekend. Roll on the winter, when I get to fish it on my own!

Mike Dulson

Mike, from my "like Blackpool" comments on here and the first private message detail you were warned! Friday and Saturday are probably the worst days to fish at this time of year as people arrive to camp or night fish for the weekend. Roll on the winter, when I get to fish it on my own!
Yep you were spot on mate
I'm definitely going to return but on a quieter day ?

Mike Dulson

Hi all,hope everyone's keeping safe.
Was just wondering if anyone has visited new house farm lately and does it fish well in the winter months
Im hopeing to head over sunday

WickerDave

Site Supporter
@Mike Dulson, I haven’t fished there since early October, I’ve been fishing more sheltered waters on windy days. I did walk down there on a weekend day two weeks ago. There were about 8 fishing, a pair of carpers packing up had 13 carp between them to 9lb and another group of three had caught 3 or 4 carp each and one of them landed an 11lb carp when I was there on legered mussel. All of them were legering/feeder fishing in open water north of the island.

All of my trips there last winter are reported in the first 13 posts on this thread, apart from one trip in February that had a 49lb total.

WickerDave

Site Supporter
My first fish here yesterday afternoon since the beginning of October. There had been a heavy overnight frost but it was unusually calm which made the scenic swim shot (already posted elsewhere) a good one.

DSC06197.jpg

Fishing maggot on the float rod started slowly but the first two roach were netters and were followed by more of a mixture of sizes from half an ounce up to 10oz and a single 3lb carp.

DSC06205.jpg

The method rod started even more slowly with no bites casting to the right towards the island. Casting to open water to the left eventually produced 6 small carp mostly in the 3-4lb range with one much smaller pristine little common.

DSC06194.jpg

WickerDave

Site Supporter
A return back to the good results of last winter this afternoon, in the same swim as the first post on this thread. This has an island margin that is a gentle lob with a method feeder.

DSC06235.JPG

It was a fish a cast to start with on a 10mm chocolate orange wafter and a groundbait method feeder. The catch rate slowed towards the end of the session and the final tally was 14 carp from 6.75lb to 2lb. [I'd forgotten the unhooking mat, but the sodden grass was softer than it anyway].

DSC06238.JPG

It was over an hour before I had enough time to set up the second rod as a maggot float rod but this was unexpectedly slow, just 3 roach to 8oz and a 4lb and 5lbish carp late on.

The only downside is that the grassy banks are a soggy mess now and everything gets covered in mud.

WickerDave

Site Supporter
With the U-turn today on fishing I took a walk past the local pool this afternoon to see if it was frozen solid, which is was. The alternative was to continue the walk up Caer Caradoc for the scenic pool shot.

DSC06309 2.jpeg

There is also an afternoon shot from a week ago which is a better version of the morning shot I've already posted elsewhere.

caerc 2.jpeg

Silver fan 82

With the U-turn today on fishing I took a walk past the local pool this afternoon to see if it was frozen solid, which is was. The alternative was to continue the walk up Caer Caradoc for the scenic pool shot.

DSC06309 2.jpeg

There is also an afternoon shot from a week ago which is a better version of the morning shot I've already posted elsewhere.

caerc 2.jpeg
Stunning views Dave! Is the second photo the view from the bank?

WickerDave

Site Supporter
A very slow start here this afternoon on both rods. It had been frozen for some time, but the last corner of ice had melted overnight.

DSC06319.jpg

The first bite after nearly two hours produced a 5lbish common on the method feeder rod, my first fish of the year. Three more commons followed with the best another 5lbish fish, plus a 3oz roach. All the fish were on a bunch of 4 maggots.

DSC06324.jpg

The maggot float rod was dead until the light started fading and a few bites finally produced 4 decent roach with a couple of 12oz fish.

DSC06346.jpg

Nobody else was fishing, although a local did come down to reconnoitre for an upcoming trip there.

WickerDave

Site Supporter
An unexpected struggle here yesterday on a cold, damp air and breezy day. I started in the island swim that produced immediately about a month ago and didn’t get a bite on either rod. Moving swim to one that gave several open water options resulted in the same lack of action.

DSC06360.jpg

Switching the float rod to an inline window feeder and a couple of maggots on the hook finally gave a roach rattle and a blank saving little roach was netted. Four hours for the first fish!

DSC06350.jpg

There then followed a decent spell of bites, often soon after the feeder had landed, resulting in a total of a dozen roach with most 6ozish. Pulling fish in of this size from long range on a heavy feeder didn’t seem quite right, but at least I was catching.

The method feeder rod only produced one bite late on when I was unhooking a roach which resulted in a 3lbish carp.

DSC06363.jpg

Nobody else was fishing again, so I couldn’t see if/how/where others were catching.