New House Farm, Church Stretton, Shropshire

WickerDave

Site Supporter
A return trip here yesterday afternoon, it was a bit busier than yesterday but still plenty of room. Some supervised youngsters there too, which was good to see. Most had left by late afternoon when the scenic swim shot was taken.

DSC05576.jpg

The fishing was better than yesterday, 17 carp and a single roach in a 3 hour afternoon session, home for dinner, and then 16 carp in a 2 hour evening session. Some better carp this time, with a couple of 8.5lb fish. One double hookup before I abandoned the second rod as the margins were fishing so well. The final total was 125lbish.

DSC05583.jpg

DSC05575.jpg

DSC05601.jpg

Caer Caradoc behind me looked good in the evening sun.

DSC05597.jpg

@bezzer, I never thought I'd say it but there are too many carp there, I miss the species variety of Peatling in particular.

bezzer

Site Supporter
@WickerDave I can see what you mean, especially if you compare it to Peatling, which has such a great variety.

Still, with those views, it must still be a great place to fish.

I'll be heading to Peatling over the summer for a few afternoon sessions, might have to pick your brains re tactics and which pools to fish ;)

WickerDave

Site Supporter
Another split afternoon/evening here yesterday at a busy fishery. It was more or less a fish a chuck, with 54 small carp from 8.75lb to 1.25lb for just under 200lb. Only one silver fish of mixed parentage. A bit of construction noise today from the triple garage being added to the farmhouse, just visible behind the fish.

DSC05606.jpg

WickerDave

Site Supporter
To balance the positive comments on the scenery, I had heard/seen a comment that it was like Blackpool here in the summer. Well, summer came early yesterday, it was packed with 5 camper vans parked at the pegs in two noisy social groupings of two and three, four bivvies set up to night fish and most of the gaps in between filled with day anglers. Whining non fishing kids, dogs, barbecues, even the sheep and lambs in the field behind were annoyingly noisy! Not the peaceful short evening fish I was expecting :(.

Fishing wise it was much the same as usual, 30 small carp and a roach tiddler for 75lbish. The bivvy anglers targeting bigger carp didn’t seem to be catching.

dc81

I live other the other side of the Mynd and spotted this lake when walking the Caer Caradoc at the weekend. I can't find much detail though other than this forum, as assume from what I have read that this is a day ticket water?

WickerDave

Site Supporter
Yes @dc81, there isn't much about it elsewhere. It is day ticket, they drive around the bank to collect the money. I've always been charged £8 irrespective of if I'm using 1 or 2 rods. I've asked a couple of times what the rules are and the response was "don't catch too many fish", so you can use keepnets, surface fish, fish late or night fish, etc. They haven't introduced any special post lockdown rules. As in the "like Blackpool" post above it has been very busy recently, but in the two sessions I've had there since then most have left by early evening.

As I'm newish to the area, is there anywhere your side you'd recommend, preferably within 30 minutes drive from Church Stretton?

dc81

Thanks for the reply @WickerDave . I started fishing again last summer after a 25 year break! I didn't grow up around here so am learning as I go, I mostly fished Spring Lea last year which was fun but is getting a bit repetitive after a while so I'm looking for new options. My 7 year old daughter came with me a couple of times last year and is now nagging me to go again! I live really close to Onny Vale but haven't fished it as the owners don't seem to be very friendly. Betchcott Lake looks nice and seems to be well reviewed so I might try that as well.

Other than that I am thinking of trying the stretch of the Severn near Atcham which is a day ticket water (tickets from the National Trust shop at Attingham).

I'd welcome any other ideas?

Cheers,
Dave

WickerDave

Site Supporter
So with our lack of local knowledge it's a bit like the blind leading the blind then, @dc81! I mainly fished New House Farm and Spring Lea over the winter and tried a few more pools once in the colder months (Weston Pools, Dorset Pools, Froggatts Pools (twice) plus the Shrewsbury Town Fisheries pools Mousecroft and Radbrook) and a dabble on the River Teme, Ludlow, Shropshire, but haven't got to the Severn yet. Most are just south of Shrewsbury or Ludlow, so not that close to you, and some have a fair bit of traffic noise. Onny Vale and Betchcott were on my short list to try in the spring, but I've not managed to get to them since lockdown was eased. I think Onny Vale changed ownership recently? Others on the untried short list are Wigmore Lakes, Bache Pool and Oaklands Leisure.

If there are any south/southwest Shropshire anglers with any suggestions, then please chip in.

WickerDave

Site Supporter
It’s still like Blackpool here but I decided to risk fishing it yesterday evening in the hope that the noisiest families would be gone by then. This nearly worked, but it was spoiled by a pair of camper vans with a generator running all evening :(.

Fishing wise the small carp were slightly less obliging than normal and I finished up with a dozen to 7lbish with seven from the margins and five from the surface. The difference today was the number of good roach that were taking loose mixers amongst the carp. I did ponder scaling down to target them shallow, but stayed on banded mixer and managed five netters to 1lb 6oz.

DSC05790.JPG

DSC05793.JPG

Mike Dulson

It’s still like Blackpool here but I decided to risk fishing it yesterday evening in the hope that the noisiest families would be gone by then. This nearly worked, but it was spoiled by a pair of camper vans with a generator running all evening :(.

Fishing wise the small carp were slightly less obliging than normal and I finished up with a dozen to 7lbish with seven from the margins and five from the surface. The difference today was the number of good roach that were taking loose mixers amongst the carp. I did ponder scaling down to target them shallow, but stayed on banded mixer and managed five netters to 1lb 6oz.

View attachment 36007

View attachment 36008
Hi all
New to this forum and returning to fishing after a 20 year absence due to family and other sports.
Just wondering if you have tried this venue again lately Dave as was thinking of venturing there tomorrow with my 2 boys aged 6&7 who are also keen to start fishing.
I have fished Dorset pools twice over the past couple of weeks with some nice results but fancy a change.
Do you think it could be to busy with campers?

Regards
Mike

WickerDave

Site Supporter
@Mike Dulson, welcome back to fishing and to the forum. Yes, I'm still fishing it occasionally and it has been a bit quieter lately. There were only five fishing it this afternoon when I took a walk down the lane, but the weather wasn't that great today. It is easy fishing, I normally just float fish luncheon meat a few inches out from the bank side vegetation feeding quite heavily with pellets or fish a surface bait feeding a few dog mixers, others also do well feeding and fishing floating bread. I've only caught carp, roach and a couple of roach/bream hybrids there so if you want the boys to start on silvers it may not be ideal, but the average size of the carp is small enough that they should be able to cope with them. Spring Lea near to you has a lot more silvers but the average size of the carp is larger there, I did do a report from there a while back, see Spring Lea, Lea Cross, Shropshire.

WickerDave

Site Supporter
Did you fish there today @Mike Dulson? I fished it 11 until 4ish today and it fished a lot harder than usual on the bottom, I didn't see others catching many fish at all. I only managed one small carp on the margin float rod, but fortunately the surface rod with banded mixer fished a lot better with 10 carp to 7lbish and another nice roach (which might be the same one as the last posted photo).

DSC05911.jpg

Last edited:

Mike Dulson

Did you fish there today @Mike Dulson? I fished it 11 until 4ish today and it fished a lot harder than usual on the bottom, I didn't see others catching many fish at all. I only managed one small carp on the margin float rod, but fortunately the surface rod with banded mixer fished a lot better with 10 carp to 7lbish and another nice roach (which might be the same one as the last posted photo).

View attachment 38230

View attachment 38230
Hi Dave
I never made it there mate as my two lads wanted to give Dorset Pools another go.
It started off slow with just a skimmer bream and 2 small carp on sweetcorn.
There were alot of big fish cruising the surface but floating baits are banned.
Once the weather cooled off and it became overcast the fish started feeding and i managed to land a 12 and a half pound common carp on lunchean meat but got snapped off by 2 which headed straight for the lilly pads and i couldn't stop them.
My 2 boys caught around a dozen small roach each on the whip pole with maggots and my eldest caught a cracking perch.
Definitely going to try New house farm though Dave asap
Thank you for the updates on the venue
Mike 20200724_103638.jpg 20200724_171721.jpg 20200724_180141.jpg 20200724_191010.jpg 20200724_141857.jpg

WickerDave

Site Supporter
@Mike Dulson, that's an excellent days fishing, especially the nice common and cracking perch. It looks like a more suitable venue for the whole family than New House Farm which was quite choppy in yesterdays wind. I've only fished Dorset Pools once way back in January and had some nice roach and a couple of rudd from the first pond. I'll definitely have to give it another go, the traffic noise put me off a bit last time. Has it been busy recently?

Mike Dulson

@Mike Dulson, that's an excellent days fishing, especially the nice common and cracking perch. It looks like a more suitable venue for the whole family than New House Farm which was quite choppy in yesterdays wind. I've only fished Dorset Pools once way back in January and had some nice roach and a couple of rudd from the first pond. I'll definitely have to give it another go, the traffic noise put me off a bit last time. Has it been busy recently?
Hi Dave
The traffic noise wasn't to bad but i think its because the trees have thickened out and protect it abit.
Im hoping to get out to new house farm during some annual leave over the next few weeks.
Dorset was surprisingly quiet aswell and we pretty much had the bottom pool to ourselves by 5pm which was really nice
Have you used method feeder at new house farm much? as im thinking of trying it for the first time since restarting fishing
Mike

WickerDave

Site Supporter
@Mike Dulson, yes, most of the winter carp were caught using a ground bait method feeder cast to the island margins using a variety of baits, either double sweetcorn, a bunch of 4 maggots or a small orange wafter. I much prefer to margin float or surface fish over feeder/lead in the warmer weather but I had a few casts with a method feeder back in May and only had a couple of small carp, though that was in open water from the dam bank at the north end.

Mike Dulson

@Mike Dulson, yes, most of the winter carp were caught using a ground bait method feeder cast to the island margins using a variety of baits, either double sweetcorn, a bunch of 4 maggots or a small orange wafter. I much prefer to margin float or surface fish over feeder/lead in the warmer weather but I had a few casts with a method feeder back in May and only had a couple of small carp, though that was in open water from the dam bank at the north end.
That's great cheers mate
I'll give it a go

Mike Dulson

Hi
Any updates on how new house is fishing or if its busy with campers
I'm heading over a week today to give it a go

Regards
Mike

WickerDave

Site Supporter
Hi
Any updates on how new house is fishing or if its busy with campers
I'm heading over a week today to give it a go

Regards
Mike
Mike, I’ve not fished it or walked past it since my last report on here. I can take a wander down and see if it is busy on Wednesday if you are planning on fishing it Thursday.

I fished the Dorset Pools far pool on Wednesday afternoon but could not match your results. I had a mixed bag of 25lb of mainly skimmers and F1s with a few tiddlers (roach, rudd and perch), two small commons and a 9lb common late on as the light was fading. It was a bit wet, fishing under an unstable umbrella didn’t help.

Mike Dulson

Mike, I’ve not fished it or walked past it since my last report on here. I can take a wander down and see if it is busy on Wednesday if you are planning on fishing it Thursday.

I fished the Dorset Pools far pool on Wednesday afternoon but could not match your results. I had a mixed bag of 25lb of mainly skimmers and F1s with a few tiddlers (roach, rudd and perch), two small commons and a 9lb common late on as the light was fading. It was a bit wet, fishing under an unstable umbrella didn’t help.
Thanks Dave
Im looking to go monday now as my mate cant do thursday so if you are out on a walk and take a peek that would be appreciated
Many thanks
Mike