New House Farm, Church Stretton, Shropshire

WickerDave

Site Supporter
Finally a decent catch result this afternoon after our move from Leicestershire to the Shropshire hills just before Christmas.

The final tally was about 60lb of small carp in the 5lb to 1.5lb range and about 9lb of silvers, which were all roach in a range of sizes up to 12oz plus one bigger fish that looks like a hybrid. Most of the carp were on a method feeder with sweetcorn to the island, with the roach and 4 carp on maggot on the waggler.

DSC05231.JPG

DSC05228.JPG

DSC05240.JPG

DSC05233.JPG

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I doff my cap to your traditonal set up, Sir. A wicker basket, bait box & a couple of rod rests.
Not a spray bar, platform, side tray or any other of the 100 attachments that we are all guilty of using today.

WickerDave

Site Supporter
Blimey that’s a lot of fish for this time of year well done
Based on yesterday it looks like it's just a bigger than average carp puddle, with the added bonus of the roach and the scenery. The current mild spell must have helped too, there were even a few carp crashing out of the water throughout the session.

New House Farm.jpg

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Nice part of the country. In laws used to stay at a place called the Denehurst in C/Stretton a couple of times a year. Went with them once & spent the afternoon in Ludlow.

WickerDave

Site Supporter
Very similar results here today on a colder afternoon with a variable wind. 55lbish of small carp to 4lbish and a few roach on the method feeder. Much slower on the waggler with only about a dozen roach, but with a few netters to 14oz, and a single 4lbish carp last cast. That's the easy winter venue sorted :) , I'll be trying somewhere else next trip.

DSC05245.JPG

WickerDave

Site Supporter
The reasonable weather today coincided with match days on the preferred alternative venues, so it was back here again this afternoon. It was more or less a bite a cast on the method feeder, with quite a few smaller than usual 1lb to 1.5lb carp that must be newish stock as they are in pristine condition.

DSC05258.JPG

The best carp were a couple of 5lbish that boosted the carp total to 50lb+.

The best roach of 1lbish was also on the method feeder, with plenty of smaller roach on the waggler despite the choppy water in a stiff breeze.

DSC05249.JPG

bezzer

Site Supporter
Some cracking sessions there Dave. Looks like you've found a decent fishery to replace the ones in Peatling Parva and Gilmorton.

WickerDave

Site Supporter
Thanks @bezzer. There's not the concentration of waters I had 10-15 minutes away in Leicestershire but there's a reasonable choice here 25-30 minutes away. Most ban surface fishing though :(. The Shrewsbury stretches of the Severn are about 30 minutes away too, so I'll have to brave trying them when the river conditions are favourable.

WickerDave

Site Supporter
An afternoon session here today in very variable weather. The south point of the island was sheltered from the wind, and had an inviting margin under the willow tree to lob a method feeder towards.

DSC05300.JPG

The session tally was 33 carp and 2 roach for 80lbish with the usual size range for the carp from here so far, 1lb to 5lb (extremes pictured).

DSC05295.JPG

DSC05290.JPG

Nobody else was there, just a variety of ducks for company.

DSC05305.JPG

I have had a couple of poor sessions there, one about a frosty week after the last report on here plus the first trip ever there back in December, which both produced only a 2oz roach.

WickerDave

Site Supporter
A slight detour at the start of todays walk to at least try and see a fish. Surprisingly there was nothing visible in the near margins at all and only one small carp crashing out in the island margins. Mixers on the surface just attracted all the geese and ducks in the pond, which were still all the same ones from the winter.

DSC05518.jpg

WickerDave

Site Supporter
A couple more extra there this afternoon since my morning reconnoitre, but still only six well spaced anglers.

It turned out to be a decent afternoon, I finished up with 17 carp in the 6.75lb to 1lb range and 4 small roach for a 60lbish total. Most of the carp and all of the roach on float fished luncheon meat close in, two small carp on the method feeder and three carp off the surface when they started rising late on.

DSC05554.jpg

DSC05563.jpg

DSC05546.jpg

DSC05567.jpg

DSC05568.jpg

bezzer

Site Supporter
Nice one Dave. What a beautiful fishery you have on your doorstep, I bet you don't miss Leicestershire one bit!