New hook and hooklink options

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I’ve fished extensively the last ten years with Guru QM1 rigs and always liked them. When I started using them I drastically reduced my number of hook pulls so I stuck with them. They are made with n-gauge which is my favourite line for rigs. It’s quite strong for it’s nominal diameter.

Recently though I’ve been a bit frustrated by their limitations. They have a few drawbacks. The main one is that they don’t do them in 6”. You are stuck with 4” or 15”. This has always seemed like a short-sighted decision on their part as I’m sure there is demand for a 6” version. After all they do lwg hooklengths in 6” so why not QM1s? The second drawback is that they are specifically designed for carp and F1s so they only go down to a size 18. The other awkward thing I have always found is that whilst they don’t come unhooked when you are playing fish they also don’t come unhooked when you want them to! I generally don’t even try and unhook them by hand and as a matter of course use a qm1 disgorger with every fish.

With these limitations in mind I decided to try some different hooklengths. The first of which was the Matrix 6” MXC-3. These worked quite well, they were 6” and were easy to unhook from the fish in the net. I didn’t lose many fish due to hook pulls either, which I was pleased about. The hook is quite compact with a slightly inturned point. The only problem I found was that the line wasn’t as strong as the Guru line and over a five hour session I had two break-offs.

The second option I tried was the Guru LWG rigs. They are 6” so passed that test and despite being a wide gape hook I didn’t lose many fish. The line is n-gauge though a gauge lighter for the hook size than the QM1 rig. Despite this I haven’t had any break-offs to date. I’ll definitely keep these in my box along with the QM1 rigs from now on.

Now comes what was, for me at least, an eye opener. I bought some Kamasan B911s. I know everyone on this site either uses or has used them so I thought I’d give them a go. I ordered some size 20s for a starter and really liked the look of them when they arrived. I used them with a small crystal waggler for roach and skimmers. Despite being a size 20 I still managed to hook three red maggots on. I had my best silvers session of the year on them and I’m sure it was the hooks that gave me the edge. I even managed to land two decent carp despite the line being 3lb and looking like angel hair. They were much more successful than the size 18 qm1 rigs Had been a couple of days earlier. The B911s are a 12” hooklength which is a lot more flexible than the 15” guru ones. I didn’t lose many fish despite them being really quick and easy to unhook.

I have since used size 14 B911X hooklengths with a pellet feeder and found they were great too, despite being a lot longer than a normal pellet feeder rig..

I have come to the conclusion that Kamasan hooks, particularly these, are excellent. Something 99% of you already seem to know.

I’ve decided to try lots of new terminal tackle this year as I’m learning all the time and getting great results.

Last edited:

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
The B911's (in all it's guises, B911x, B911F1 etc.) are the only hooks I use. Now you know one of the reasons why, they rock. :headbang:. I do tie all my own though, that way I know what line is on them.

davej1981

Same here, only use b911s never had a problem. Always tie my own hooklengths as i find the off the shelf options too limited, i can never find the hook-line diameter combo i want

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
It’s hardly a fair comparison, the QM1 is a heavy wire gauge carp hook for hair rigging, for silvers, F1’s and winter carp fishing maggots I’d be using the Guru F1 hooks. For all round summer fishing you won’t go far wrong with the Kaizen hooks if comparing hooks within a brand.

I switched from B911 to Guru hooks, just prefer them, but if I was stuck and had to dig out the tens of packets of B911 buried at the back of the garage and use them, I wouldn’t be distraught.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
It’s hardly a fair comparison, the QM1 is a heavy wire gauge carp hook for hair rigging, for silvers, F1’s and winter carp fishing maggots I’d be using the Guru F1 hooks. For all round summer fishing you won’t go far wrong with the Kaizen hooks if comparing hooks within a brand.

I switched from B911 to Guru hooks, just prefer them, but if I was stuck and had to dig out the tens of packets of B911 buried at the back of the garage and use them, I wouldn’t be distraught.
I’m aware it’s not comparing eggs with eggs but as someone with much more limited experience I was using QM1s for everything. I’ll try the Guru F1 and Kaizen hooks, they sound good. I do like the fact all their rigs are made with n-gauge.

I’m limited with dexterity in my hands and I struggle to make up hooklengths so I am really happy buying ready made ones.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I’m aware it’s not comparing eggs with eggs but as someone with much more limited experience I was using QM1s for everything. I’ll try the Guru F1 and Kaizen hooks, they sound good. I do like the fact all their rigs are made with n-gauge.

I’m limited with dexterity in my hands and I struggle to make up hooklengths so I am really happy buying ready made ones.
I haven’t bought ready tied hooks for over 40 years, so can’t really comment on them, but surely if you buy them in the longest length, you can cut them down to any length less, you want? Regarding the dexterity, using a loop tyer should help when shortening hooklengths.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I haven’t bought ready tied hooks for over 40 years, so can’t really comment on them, but surely if you buy them in the longest length, you can cut them down to any length less, you want? Regarding the dexterity, using a loop tyer should help when shortening hooklengths.
I do use a loop tyer to shorten them but as I use 6” a lot it’s handy to buy them that length to begin with. If I try making them 6” they are always a bit long or short for the rig box lol.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I love B911s in all of their guises. My only experience with Guru hooks are a pack of F1 maggot which are very fine and I haven't used yet (actually I did use some in size 20 for Punch fishing on the canal when I couldn't get a Kamasan hook), and Kaizens which I found to be big for their size and quite a heavy gauge for maggot fishing, even when I'm fishing a big bunch of maggots for Chub etc. I am very impressed their sharpness though so can see why they are so popular, they seem even sharper than Kamasans but they are generally what I'm used to. Got some B611s for Bream, and B520s for maggot and caster on the river.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
The B911's (in all it's guises, B911x, B911F1 etc.) are the only hooks I use. Now you know one of the reasons why, they rock. :headbang:. I do tie all my own though, that way I know what line is on them.
And who to blame when you come back with a pig tail. 🤣🤣

Now you’ve prepped Sunday dinner, what time do you want me to come around ? Like last week .... once you’ve eaten it ? 🤣🤣. Those pests won’t shoot themselves you know. 🙄