New HD required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluey

19/08/02 - 25/08/10
In Memoriam
Hi all!

Can anyone tell me the name of a supplier who can deliver a new 10 gig hard drive for my computer icon_smile_question.gif as my kids seem intent on crashing this thing,icon_smile_sad.gif we've got 4 gig at the moment but only 2-300 mb space left.
I seem to remember someone buying one not so long ago but can't find the post.
Don't mid buying through the net if reputable firm, only the ones near me only sell 40 gig min and my mother board can't cope with that so having to spread my search further afield.

thanks
Bluey

Admin

Forum Admin
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Bluey,

You may well have a problem buying one from a store now as the minimum most sell is 20GB. This is partly due to the price dropping and partly due to peoples minimum requirements now.
A good place to try is a Computer Fair where you should be able to pick one up new and fairly cheap.
Check the local papers for details of one near you. Most reputable fairs have a 'comeback' policy on goods sold by their traders so you shouldn't have many problems. Look for a H/D in its original packaging though to be on the safe side.

Dave

AndyA

Hi Bluey,
Older motherboards often don't support h/drives over 8.4 gigs but nearly all manufacturers have a small bit of software which is available either on a floppy disk supplied with the h/d or as a download from their own website, this is used to fool your motherboard and shows the full capacity of your new drive . Use this link to see an example of the software :- http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/maxblast_plus_ii.htm

So you should be able to fit a bigger hard drive to your pc without too much hassle ... one thing to remember is that the early version of Win95 cannot recognise partitions over 2 gigs, if you use Win 98 or newer then I think you'll be fine.

I've fitted a few hard drives for others and I've found that PC World (Components Centre) prices are very competetive.

Hope this help's.

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
May I suggest you trawl yellow pages for you area and cover all the computer headings. A few phone calls should find a shop with a 20gig or even some one with a 10gig still in stock.

chill out go fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.