New Government Virus Message

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I hear people are already criticising the new Stay Alert message that will be introduced/explained later today in the PMs broadcast. I suggest we wait until we know the context.

Until we have heard Boris speak and the plans for the next phase we really do not know how the message fits in. One thing is certain, if we are encouraging workplaces and other sites such as garden centres to reopen and possibly fishing/golf being allowed then we cannot really continue to have a message that says stay at home. That would be ridiculed just as much.

Lockdown will be eased gradually, I think we now know that the NHS can cope even if numbers rise slightly. We are nowhere near the 30-40 million infections needed for herd immunity nor are we near having a vaccine. Slowly therefore we will have to increase the number of people infected without risking a large and sudden spike in numbers. Hence gradually releasing lockdown but reminding people to still take all precautions possible to avoid becoming infected.

Who would want to be a politician at this time? Not me, damned if you do ......

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Neil we are nearing the light at the end of the Tunnel, it may be very dim but hey 6 - 7 week ago it was non existent. Chin up everyone at least it aint been as bad as they Predicted, but hey didnt i say that ;)

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Im not getting excited at all, but its ok for the ones who say oh aint it good that we didnt need them nightingale hospital, dont that tell ya summat ?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Well summed up as usual Neil.

And yeah nothing wrong with being positive wise owl it’s much better than all the negativity knocking about!

We might only be a couple months into potentially a 12 month fight but as long as the majority of people aren’t helmets when the lockdown is gradually eased we should be over the worst of it.

fishcatcher4

Wife had a text message from NHS other day saying she is to stay in until at least 30th June as she is on high risk list.

That went down like a shitt sandwich.:)

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Don't know why Boris is bothering to make a speech tonight. All the newspapers would have you believe they know the entire content of it & have told us what's happening. :rolleyes:

crackatoa

Site Supporter
Don't know why Boris is bothering to make a speech tonight. All the newspapers would have you believe they know the entire content of it & have told us what's happening. :rolleyes:
That's because things are leaked to the media, to test the water. If popular with the public, they are a part of the plan. If unpopular, they are just a nasty rumour, 'fake news'.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
We cancelled our plane tickets for June a couple weeks ago but did get a notification a few days ago when it got to a month before the departure date saying that the flight has officially been cancelled so we will now get our deposit back. Regarding the deposit for the accommodation we've just told the owner to hold it for now and if things are looking OK by the new year we'll re book for next May/June.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
When were ya due to go mate ?
Tuesday 26th May

Took money back it’ll case they go under but the deposit on the accommodation, we will tell them to use as deposit for next year. Unless they have a ruling saying other in the small print.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
We got ours back for a June 3rd flight, i also heard a mate and his wife had theirs cancelled for July flights to Miami.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Think our dates with 6th-18th of June. Luckily ours was with BA so they should still be around next year and the accommodation definitely will be as its not in a virus hotspot.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Martin Lewis the money man suggested getting yer dough back and not Vouchers, so our gert did just that.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
We got ours back for a June 3rd flight, i also heard a mate and his wife had theirs cancelled for July flights to Miami.
Everyone I know who booked America have had them cancelled.
I saw somewhere that the Disney parks are staying closed all year. I’ve another booked for September, fingers crossed