New glasses

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Hi all ,i am in need of new glasses and after hours of searching i have a brilliant deal ,50% off lenses ,buy one get one free from glasses direct using code 50lens. Two polaroid frames with varifocal lenses ,one with polarised lens for fishing ,the other clear lenses,both have extra thin lenses , i chose the gold option for the lenses giving the widest viewing option. Both have the anti scratch option and the clear ones have the blue light filters. Both pairs for £260 ish . Brilliant deal ,although i have just ordered so have not tried them on. Glasses direct do have really good reviews so i have taken a chance,

160642fishing

Site Supporter
I've been tempted to use them but I worry about the fit,it is so important that the specs sit right,please let us know how you get on.

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
I tried specsavers and glasses direct - and to be honest - don't rate them highly. Being a diabetic I have to have a yearly retinal scan - I found my last optician very good, and he was the fist to state that I needed prism correction. One eye seminally not focusing on the same level. It was like magic - like wearing your first pair of glasses and realising how blind you had been. So as far as I am concerned - my private optician has my money.

robert d

Site Supporter
I've been tempted to use them but I worry about the fit,it is so important that the specs sit right,please let us know how you get on.
You can try a home fit trial to see if they are ok. They also have a 90 day return policy . First time using them for me but huge savings on glasses and the trust pilot reviews swung it for me

willothewisp

willothewisp
Site Supporter
The "mark up" profit margin on spectacles and lenses is staggering! I was quoted £260 locally for lenses replacement of varifocal thin coated lenses into my own frames. A local ex major supplier technician who took early retirement has set up his own lenses workshop and now supplies many opticians. His price direct cash for same lenses was £80!

robert d

Site Supporter
I tried specsavers and glasses direct - and to be honest - don't rate them highly. Being a diabetic I have to have a yearly retinal scan - I found my last optician very good, and he was the fist to state that I needed prism correction. One eye seminally not focusing on the same level. It was like magic - like wearing your first pair of glasses and realising how blind you had been. So as far as I am concerned - my private optician has my money.
They also ask about prisms and you can talk to the optician over the phone . As i said first time using them for me ,fingers crossed and all that

breadflake

Site Supporter
I have used Glasses Direct a couple of times no problems, just got a local eye test asked for the prescription then entered details on line
got a good few pair from pound shops (some as much as £2), dust an fine grit while working wrecks the lenses within couple of months so multiple sets
of different strengths for distance, computer and reading don't like the varifocal type.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
My glasses take vertical and horizontal prisms and are varifocals... to be honest I wouldn't trust my eyesight to an online firm... My opticians are not a big chain and I prefer it that way as I can talk to the people if I have a problem... my eyesight although poor, is precious to me

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Like tackle shops, if you go for the cheap online options who will be there in future to supply your bait/do your eye test.

I have a brilliant optician and am happy to pay for her expertise, time and attention to detail.

robert d

Site Supporter
Like tackle shops, if you go for the cheap online options who will be there in future to supply your bait/do your eye test.

I have a brilliant optician and am happy to pay for her expertise, time and attention to detail.

I understand its not for everyone, i have used specsavers for many years . I am not getting the good service ,i had a eye test on the 1st if november ,chose some glasses and agreed a trial of contact lenses ,i have heard nothing since ,no update nothing. I phoned them and they dont know when i will see the optician to see if i am suitable for contact lenses . I asked about the glasses i chose and the lady said could i ring back because she was upstairs and downstairs sorted the glasses and she was not allowed to go down . I do think Specsavers will survive ,i also think they need to look at their pricing if they dont want to loose custom . I have saved a few hundred on their prices.

Arfer Mo

Site Supporter
I stopped using Specsavers a few years ago. I read a report in The Telegraph telling how good Asda were for eye tests and glasses and have been using them ever since. I have my next eye test next Tuesday.

DFL

Site Supporter
I use online services to reglaze my own frames for polarised tints.

I would not recommend using an online facility for varifocals, getting the exact measurements of your pupils in conjunction with how your frames sit on your face is critical and that can only be carried out face to face with an optician. Some will say their online bought varifocals are great but the fact is they most probably aren’t.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I use online services to reglaze my own frames for polarised tints.

I would not recommend using an online facility for varifocals, getting the exact measurements of your pupils in conjunction with how your frames sit on your face is critical and that can only be carried out face to face with an optician. Some will say their online bought varifocals are great but the fact is they most probably aren’t.

I have varifocals from my Optician, very expensive and OK, I have also used Specs by Post for a few years. The varifocals I have from there, I wear 99% of the time, comfier and the vision is better, I have never had a bad pair from them. They sent some glasses they knew the dimensions of, I was photographed wearing them and they worked out the correct spacings etc.

robert d

Site Supporter
I have varifocals from my Optician, very expensive and OK, I have also used Specs by Post for a few years. The varifocals I have from there, I wear 99% of the time, comfier and the vision is better, I have never had a bad pair from them. They sent some glasses they knew the dimensions of, I was photographed wearing them and they worked out the correct spacings etc.
I do have a concern about the pd ,i have taken a photo of my head with a credit size card by my eyebrows as suggested but i will talk to glasses direct . That was why i purchased the gold option ,wider viewing on the varifocals ,progressive lenses.

lliopp

Site Supporter
Used to use an expensive local firm, a mate said try Asda and I haven't looked back.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Another vote for Asda, I went a couple of years ago as I broke my glasses and needed a replacement quickly as I was going to be working away from home for a few weeks. They did an eye test in my local store and got the glasses delivered to a store where I was going to be working. I have used them twice more and they have been excellent, very good with the eye tests not rushed at all and they make sure they get things right. Last month I got 2 pairs of Nike single vision glasses with thinned tinted lenses for £120, they only took a few days to be delivered and the staff made sure they fitted well and were all good.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
It's not very often I whinge but I get very angry at eye care and dentistry. I think we should get both free on the NHS. I know there are NHS dentists but the level of care falls woefully short of private.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I use vision express, had no problems, I went to them after specsavers would not do the deal.
It was buy one get one free, I wanted distance and a pair for reading.
Both sets had to be the same , so phoned vision express while at specsavers and asked them if their bogof was same lenses, Nope could have what I required, and cheaper, Specsavers would not budge,