new floatrod advice please

John Step

Site Supporter
The nearest is louth but I havent been for so long I dont know if there is one there. unfortunately the acolyte is more than I want to pay but thanks for the suggestion
Pop into the Horncastle Angling 01507 527754 and have a chat is the best thing. Its not very far from Louth.
Dont get in too much of a muddle. Its a bit like when in the dark ages I got into reading up about the merits of Hi FI. This tweeter is better than that woofer and so on. You cannot tell from the written word as all manufacturers will tell you theirs is the best.....if you follow my meaning.
I have never been to the Louth shop but I know its on the industrial estate. The old one Castlerline went bust some years ago.
I do suspect that you may be just as happy with a 13 footer which will broaden your choice. Whats a foot between friends?

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
Hi, I'm looking to get back into fishing after several years away. I shall be fishing my local lake regularly as its just round the the corner for anything which comes along but expect roach,rudd, bream etc. I'm also planning on fishing more commercial fisheries containg f1's and carp. I would like to buy a rod to suit both types of venue, preferably 2 piece so I can leave the rod setup and probably 12 feet as thats what I've always used.I dont want to go above 100 pounds. Been looking at maver commercial match, shimano forcemaster, daiwa ninja and shakespeare solitude/concept. Really want a rod suitable for silverfish as well as small - medium carp.Any advice or guidance would be much appreciated as I'm going round in circles and getting nowhere! Anyone any experience of these rods or any other suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks
Save up Another £25

scuttster

Site Supporter
There are some rods out there that will serve as all-round float rods for where you are at, but it can be a minefield. Best advice I can give is to settle on a top three and then try and get to a tackle shop where you could get your hands on them (or a next best thing). That Maver MVR Match would be a great buy at 12ft or 13ft. However, if you chose to keep your powder dry and watch ebay for a Maver Reactorlite Match 1 then you won't be disappointed. They're fifteen years old or so, but they seriously are the bogs dollocks :)
The Reactorlites are lovely rods. Though they don't show up all that often on the used market anymore

mariner

thanks boldbear, the drennan does look good but is more than I want to pay at the moment.
Thanks silverfisher, the shakespeare agility is i believe 3 piece and I really wanted 2 piece for ready set up. The solitude/concept range are 2 piece at 12 ft but I cant find any reviews on these nor any comments from anyone who has used them.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
. The solitude/concept range are 2 piece at 12 ft but I cant find any reviews on these nor any comments from anyone who has used them.
Yeah not much on them yet given they’re new other than the typical biased AT review

I’d risk going for them over any of the more commercial style rods though as the actions on such rods are never quite right.

Not sure it’s worth limiting the rods available to you just for a 2 piece though. I’d rather spend 10 minutes setting up to have a rod I’m happy with than compromise on the rods functionality just to save a bit of time.

buygoodtackle

Having a 3 piece rod set up is just as easy as a two piece - start at the handle end, the middle section folds directly onto the butt section then the tip section folds against that, all held in place by two velcro straps. The tip is facing away from the butt so far safer also.

mariner

which rod would suit in my price range if I was to go 3 piece.When I was fishing before I did leave my 3 piece set up as buygoodtackle described and it was ok.If it meant I got a better rod within my budget I could go 3 piece .Thanks to all posters, I know I,m dithering but my mind is in a muddle and I just dont know what to do! sorry! I need to go fishing to clear my mind!!

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
The nearest is louth but I havent been for so long I dont know if there is one there. unfortunately the acolyte is more than I want to pay but thanks for the suggestion

Neville Fickling at Gainsborough might be able to help. He might have something in. Not far from you really. Good luck pal. 👍

scuttster

Site Supporter
which rod would suit in my price range if I was to go 3 piece.When I was fishing before I did leave my 3 piece set up as buygoodtackle described and it was ok.If it meant I got a better rod within my budget I could go 3 piece .Thanks to all posters, I know I,m dithering but my mind is in a muddle and I just dont know what to do! sorry! I need to go fishing to clear my mind!!
if you are still liking the idea of the Maver there is currently a 13' one new on ebay Maver MVR Float Rod (3 Piece) | eBay

solwood

Site Supporter
Not to add to the confusion

The MVr will be fine, as its under budget you could save that to get a lighter rod later if you decide you need it

For a long time my only rod was a drennan super tench, used it with size 20 and 1.5lb hooklink all through to 8lb line straight few

It was best in the middle but worked throughout the range. Not saying it to confuse rather to show how a rod can be used beyond its intended purpose

A through action rod like most pellet wagglers can be useful when learning a it will cushion a surprise lump more.

I would say steer clear of the drennan red range, but also consider a second hand series 7 carp waggler, there is one in the classifieds

nejohn

Site Supporter
If you are thinking about a 13ft general float rod I would seriously consider the Maver at £75, you would have to spend another £50-60 to get anything anywhere near as good as the MVR