New Float Rod

Volvster

I need to replace my 3 piece 13ft Power Float rod as my current rod has just snapped at the tip section after 11 years use and it is no longer made.

I've read many articles online, but most of the rods in my price bracket are no longer made and many of the articles are fairly new, I didn't realise the rod manufacturers moved so fast.

I'm looking for a 3 piece 13ft Power Float rod with a line handling of 4-7lbs, that can be used on many commercial carp waters to handle Carp, Tench and Bream, my price bracket is as far under £100 as possible, some of my mates have said to keep an eye on any rods that are EOL as they may be cheaper.

I don't want a poker, nor do I want something too soft

Any help will be appreciated.

Volvster

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Product cyles for most manufacturers are roughly 3-4 years. Rods are usually discontinued because sales are especially poor, or they've come to the end of their product cycle, rather than technology having moved on.

However, fashion does move quite rapidly. Three piece, 13' rods are declining in popularity at this time, especially in rods aimed at those fishing match type commies. That does indeed mean that some older rods of the type are fairly cheap second hand buys. Shimano certainly persisted with 13' three piece commie float rods for longer than most. However, it may be worth bearing in mind that other companies (Daiwa springs to mind) just upped the average line ratings of most of their float rods. Many of their current float (match) rods have line ratings that would have been seen only in "power" variants in years gone by.

Volvster

Product cyles for most manufacturers are roughly 3-4 years. Rods are usually discontinued because sales are especially poor, or they've come to the end of their product cycle, rather than technology having moved on.

However, fashion does move quite rapidly. Three piece, 13' rods are declining in popularity at this time, especially in rods aimed at those fishing match type commies. That does indeed mean that some older rods of the type are fairly cheap second hand buys. Shimano certainly persisted with 13' three piece commie float rods for longer than most. However, it may be worth bearing in mind that other companies (Daiwa springs to mind) just upped the average line ratings of most of their float rods. Many of their current float (match) rods have line ratings that would have been seen only in "power" variants in years gone by.
Thanks for the info and I will have a look at the Daiwa range of rods, but a 3 piece 13ft rod is a pre-requirement to fit in the car

I was thinking of the 13ft 3 piece Korum Glide, but wasn't sure if it was too stiff for 4lb line even though it would be handling fish up to 10lbs

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Have a look at Shakespeare Agility 2 or Superteam 13' rods, had the Superteam feeder rod and it was great for the money. I picked up a Glide in a shop and my first impression was it is very heavy, though I've never used one.

Volvster

I have a Shaky Agility 2 as my normal float rod and it's a bit soft for Tench and Carp and I had to use it in Ireland last week and it was definitely too soft for the bigger Bream I was catching, which made me realise I have to buy a heavier rod

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
Middy G5. Superb rod and comes in bang on budget. Have one myself and bought it after 2 snapped tips on my shakey agility 2. It has handled everything from small perch and silvers to large F1 and carp. Beautiful parabolic through action too.

adriang

Site Supporter
Bobco have some deals on the Frenzee rods, think they are shifting old stock. No idea how many pieces they are, but I was fishing with somebody a few weeks back who had one and it seemed pretty decent.

Volvster

Middy G5. Superb rod and comes in bang on budget. Have one myself and bought it after 2 snapped tips on my shakey agility 2. It has handled everything from small perch and silvers to large F1 and carp. Beautiful parabolic through action too.
Do like the look of the Middy 5G Trinity Waggler 13ft Rod, but can't find what it's line handling is, looking at the reveiws I would think something around 3-8lbs

Volvster

Looks like I'm caught between the Daiwa N'Zon S Waggler 13ft Rod and the Middy 5G Trinity Waggler 13ft Rod, both around the same price are 3 piece and can handle bigger fish on 4lb line or 6lb if I need to step up

SeanB

Site Supporter
Danny is sponsored by Korum, but he isn't going to bullshine anyone. If your worried about his reputation with korum send him a pm, then it's just between the two of you.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I have only had a quick waggle of the Middy 5G but it seemed fairly nice, if you could go another £28 bobco are doing Garbolino Essential power float rods for £128, these are very nice rods and are a genuine reduction from the RRP of around £175. You could also keep an eye on eBay for something like a Daiwa SR3, these were quite nice and fairly powerful.
I did have a waggle of the korum glide and felt there where much nicer rods for similar money, it was quite heavy, not particularly well balanced and I thought it a little to powerful

Wrongfoot

Site Supporter
I'm pleased with mine too.

Volvster

Just added the MAVER MV-R COMMERCIAL MATCH 13' to my list, having done a lot of research there are several rods that will do quite nicely, but I'm going to rule out the Korum as it looks a little heavy for 4lb line

Wrongfoot

Site Supporter
Do like the look of the Middy 5G Trinity Waggler 13ft Rod, but can't find what it's line handling is, looking at the reveiws I would think something around 3-8lbs
Middy say 10lb mainline to 6lb hook length I wouldn't fish a difference that big so I just use 6lb Maxima to 5.8 Drennan on commercials unless the fishery has a higher minimum mainline on a bigger fish lake. On natural waters I've fished 3lb mainline to balance hook lengths of 2lb or less and haven't bounced any skimmers, perch or small roach so far. Find it convenient and affordable not to worry about a different waggler rod wherever I go.

Last edited:

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
I am not sure what the line rating is but I fish 6lb Guru to 5lb Stroft tippet and have had some real fun battles with the rod, just when you think something is about to break the rod just absorbs more. Simply superb piece of kit and I would not swap it for any other rod currently on the market... and I have bought a few :whistle: