New Float Rod Advice

Knfruitbat

Site Supporter
Steer clear of that one
You were right about that rod. Found one locally, it would not even fit together properly. Felt a bit like a carbon pencil, didn't want to force it together and end up breaking it. Person trying to get it together and apart again nearly bent one of the guides.

Sam Vimes

You were right about that rod. Found one locally, it would not even fit together properly. Felt a bit like a carbon pencil, didn't want to force it together and end up breaking it. Person trying to get it together and apart again nearly bent one of the guides.

Whilst not suggesting that you should have bought one, the Agility EXP Specimen has spigot joints. The sections aren't meant to meet up. If they did, it would indicate that the rod had been well used or bodged.

Plenty of top line Daiwa rods tend to use spigot joints. If you buy one second hand, it's best to avoid any spigot rod that has less than 5mm of separation. Ideally, you should be looking for a gap of around 10mm.

Knfruitbat

Site Supporter
Whilst not suggesting that you should have bought one, the Agility EXP Specimen has spigot joints. The sections aren't meant to meet up. If they did, it would indicate that the rod had been well used or bodged.

Plenty of top line Daiwa rods tend to use spigot joints. If you buy one second hand, it's best to avoid any spigot rod that has less than 5mm of separation. Ideally, you should be looking for a gap of around 10mm.
Didn't realise the gap was supposed to be quite that big, clearly neither did the guy in the shop as he was having a good try at jamming it together, I was just waiting for it to split. Really didn't like the feel of it anyway and no confidence in joints as they didn't seem to bend the same as the rest of the rod, and the fit didn't seem good, which to me would suggest a stress point for breakage.
Pity because I had heard good things as an all rounder type rod, and it was certainly within size requirements. If I had been happy with it a would have brought it for £45, even if it only got used when both my daughters were fishing with me. Confidence is key, if I wasn't happy in the shop I would never be on the bank. Hopefully when I get to see the Acolyte Plus tomorrow things will be better.

Knfruitbat

Site Supporter
Brought the Acolyte Plus float rod and a Preston Distance Master. Teamed up with a daiwa xtd 5500. Absolutely fabulous kit, couldn't be happier, although the Distance Master only just fits, so will need to be careful not to crush the ends.
Thanks everyone for the advice.

BarryS

Gone fishing
Steer clear of that one
I agree I looked carefully at a Shakespeare Agility power rod and it seemed to be made of the cheapest version of every component. The blank .the fittings and handle were not impressive... Like they took the mach 1 version and said to the manufacturer.....how can we make it cheaper.

Rick123

Site Supporter
Thanks for all the advice. I am going to have a look at an Acolyte Plus on Friday, if it feels right, think I will just go with it.

Unless its for rivers buddy I'd stay under 12' in length for commercials. The 11' Acolyte Plus would be a dream I'd imagine?

Knfruitbat

Site Supporter
Unless its for rivers buddy I'd stay under 12' in length for commercials. The 11' Acolyte Plus would be a dream I'd imagine?
I had specific space restraints as I intend to use the rod on family trips. 11ft and 12ft rods are two piece. The 13ft Acolyte Plus is a three piece rod so fits in my car top box. Have used it on lakes and a river, really nice bit of kit. Joints don't seem to affect the bend of the rod overly, so very happy with my eventual choice.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Interesting that. I personally wouldnt go below 12ft for any traditional style light tackle float fishing. I use 13ft or 14ft myself regardless of it being a river or Stillwater as it just makes it easier to cast, strike and mend the line and I find you feel the smallish fish you target on such gear more with such lengths of rods. Only time I'll go down to 10-11ft is either on small overgrown rivers or fishing rivers from boats. Different ball game if doing less traditional heavier float fishing I guess I do tend to use shorter rods when I very occasionally do that.