New Float Rod Advice

Knfruitbat

Site Supporter
Hello
Coming back to fishing after about 30 years. Took my daughter fishing and she stood on my rod. Crushed (me and the rod). No chance of repair apparently.
So in the market for a new float rod, the major stipulation it must fit into top box for family holidays so must be less than 140cm. Seems to be loads of new brands since I was last fishing.
I have been looking at a "Drennan Acolyte Plus 13ft Float Rod" which seems to come in 3 equal parts so will fit in car top box. Any advice greatly appreciated. I want quality equipment that will last. My daiwa reels are 40+ years old and still going strong although seem very small compared to today's standards.

Knfruitbat

Site Supporter
Just joined London Anglers Association, so will be trying a few of their venues. The last ten years we have been down to Whiteacres for a few weeks every year as well. So a real mixed bag. Some commercials, Lea/Lee navigation, parts of the Stort when I can figure out exactly where I can access and who has the rights.
Not going to start taking part in matches or anything, and don't specifically target double figure carp either. I am wheelchair user with limited use of my left side, so it is something I can do with the kids for pleasure, not trying to make it hard work.

Knfruitbat

Site Supporter
The compact seems to have the same issue. The handle comes apart and the remaining two parts are too long. So not very compact.
Someone recommended a Shakespeare Agility Specimen Rod that seems to break down into 4 pieces, and is silly cheap. I don't mind spending some money but don't want to be a cash cow for whatever the shop is trying to get rid of.

alsur

Site Supporter
I have just bought. 14ft acolyte ultralight to soft for Carp but the quality is good and it's a very nice rod to use I also have Drennan 12ft matchpro ultra light which I'VE had some time and it's holding up very well. It's always going to be a compromise if you want to use rod for Carp on commercials and Rivers.

Knfruitbat

Site Supporter
I have just bought. 14ft acolyte ultralight to soft for Carp but the quality is good and it's a very nice rod to use I also have Drennan 12ft matchpro ultra light which I'VE had some time and it's holding up very well. It's always going to be a compromise if you want to use rod for Carp on commercials and Rivers.
Having looked through a few threads on here, Drennan's seem to be well thought of, particularly the Acolytes. Thanks for the advice.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
13 or 14 foot acolyte ultra sounds ideal to me . I have one and want to get the other. Brilliant silvers rods.

Edit - actually the plus may be better, I missed the white acres bit in your reply!

Last edited:

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
I think you got it right in your first post, Acolyte Plus 13'.

I have the Acolyte Ultra 13', which is fine for roach, but just lacks the oomph for anything bigger.
And the Acolyte Carp Waggler 12' - lovely slim rod, but as nejohn pointed out, 2 x 6' sections.

Reuben

Site Supporter
I’ve 13ft Acolyte Pro & Ultra. Definitely the Pro for commercials & venues like Whiteacres. The Ultra is fine for silvers & bream but undergunned for even smallish carp of over 3 or 4lbs. You’ll land them but they’ll lead you a merry dance!

rudd

Site Supporter
The compact seems to have the same issue. The handle comes apart and the remaining two parts are too long. So not very compact.
Someone recommended a Shakespeare Agility Specimen Rod that seems to break down into 4 pieces, and is silly cheap. I don't mind spending some money but don't want to be a cash cow for whatever the shop is trying to get rid of.
Steer clear of that one

PeteC

Must admit I really like the acolytes...have used the ultra and the plus but actually only own the 17' version which I love but wouldn't be suitable for you I think as the sections are too long.

Have you thought about the cadence range of rods ?....good quality for reasonable prices...I suspect the CR10 #1 or more likely the #2 in 15' would be ideal for you and they retail for around £150 although you can very often get discounts on that. I've the 15' #1 and really like it mainly for waggler work.

Cadence have an on line presence only, you won't find them in any shop but they have a really great customer service...... maybe give them a call or send them an email and let them know your story... I'd say it's definitely another avenue worth looking at before you plunge headlong into the acolyte pond.....

davepellet

Just as an aside, I just measured my acolyte ultra 13ft and it’s 1.36m sections so not much room to spare in your 1.4m roofbox. As has already been said, of the two I’d go for the Plus if you’re going to be fishing commercial waters

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I use the 13ft Acolyte Ultra for everything but pellet work for carp and F1s on commercials. I use my Daiwa TD commercial float rod for that, but such a rod would not break down as manageable with your travel option. The Acolyte Plus may be a better option for you. It boils down to a choice between an extended fish play to net larger fish or a risk of losing smaller ones with a less softer rod action I think

rudd

Site Supporter
Just as an aside, I just measured my acolyte ultra 13ft and it’s 1.36m sections so not much room to spare in your 1.4m roofbox. As has already been said, of the two I’d go for the Plus if you’re going to be fishing commercial waters
Any 13ft rods going to be tight 1.3208m * 3 = 13ft

davepellet

that's the point I'm making... as some posters were talking about 14ft rods
but you've not taken the joints into account...

Knfruitbat

Site Supporter
Thanks for all the advice. I am going to have a look at an Acolyte Plus on Friday, if it feels right, think I will just go with it.

alsur

Site Supporter
Thanks for all the advice. I am going to have a look at an Acolyte Plus on Friday, if it feels right, think I will just go with it.
If it's anything like ultra I think you will like it, I was impressed with how thin and light my ultra was.