New fishing rod licence images released

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Bulk post deal, bulk printing - around 45 pence a licence.
When I buy something I do like to own it - keep a copy of electronic receipt on phone but do like receiving my yearly licence.
I then receive club books and after that comes spring. Club tickets and licences all in a licence wallet.
I need a new wallet. The one I've had for years is busy disintegrating. Thought I'd get something like a season ticket holder for a bus pass for schoolchildren. Easier said than done these days - any tips?

grey

Site Supporter
Bulk post deal, bulk printing - around 45 pence a licence.
When I buy something I do like to own it - keep a copy of electronic receipt on phone but do like receiving my yearly licence.
I then receive club books and after that comes spring. Club tickets and licences all in a licence wallet.
🤣 unless it's completely out-sourced by the civil service!!!

It's not just print though, there's postage - simple to calculate because there are details on government website under freedom of information, about £2 for a peel cards print and postage (inc VAT!!!) -

But on top of print and postage, there's also other production and pre-production costs to consider: web-funding, data security, data extraction and co-ordination, the decision making process, design, artwork, proofing, legal signing off, monitoring and review... the whole process costs time, management and labour.

Then there are additional costs of marketing and legal responsibilities linked to producing a legal document: market research (so they measure success and plan), necessary personnel to manage/replace lost and stolen cards, design information dissemination, active-promotion to ensure anglers know what to expect (like the employment of the good person who originally posted this thread to make us aware of their latest design!)

I'd estimate the whole process on this scale adds up to over £5 per licence, but even if it saves only post and print costs, that's still £2,000,000 more for the EA to invest into our sport.

The EA providing us a paper licence (we no longer have to carry) is a huge undertaking and an outdated expensive burden to our sport.

Last edited:

Cobweb

Site Supporter

It's not just print though, there's postage - simple to calculate because there are details on government website under freedom of information, about £2 for a peel cards print and postage (inc VAT!!!) -

But on top of print and postage, there's also other production and pre-production costs to consider: web-funding, data security, data extraction and co-ordination, the decision making process, design, artwork, proofing, legal signing off, monitoring and review... the whole process costs time, management and labour.

Then there are additional costs of marketing and legal responsibilities linked to producing a legal document: market research (so they measure success and plan), necessary personnel to manage/replace lost and stolen cards, design information dissemination, active-promotion to ensure anglers know what to expect (like the employment of the good person who originally posted this thread to make us aware of their latest design!)

I'd estimate the whole process on this scale adds up to over £5 per licence, but even if it saves only post and print costs, that's still £2,000,000 more for the EA to invest into our sport.

The EA providing us a paper licence (we no longer have to carry) is a huge undertaking and an outdated expensive burden to our sport.
There is the issue of policing, which is a throwback to the debate and ensuing decision to keep the close season on our rivers - so as much as you argue for the dispensing of the production of physical evidence - there still remains the fact that having a fishing licence as evidence of your legal right to fish waters is the easiest way to demonstrate your right to do so to on inspection. There is no doubt that the EA will welcome such a decision as the cost reduction might well end up being be a lot more than just licence printing and artwork

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Since they abolished the Tax Disc, the number of untaxed cars on the road has shot up, likewise with licence plate thefts.
No physical evidence in a windscreen any more for the police or traffic wardens to glance at. The only time you're likely to get caught without is by ANPR or someone checking the online DVLA licence check on the owner's behalf.

rudd

Site Supporter

You make some good valid points but there are also high costs invooved by going fully electronic.

Level.three approved security centre full of expensive servers,.expensive air conditioning and top end fire fighting system.
A back up system to same specification.
Software - a data base protected by a ton of firewalls etc that need constant attention.
Staff to run system at IT staff salaries.
IT director
IT manager / consultant
A minimum of four analysts
Fire warden / first aid training
HR / admin staff.

Of course being the civil service who struggle to operate a calculator without a 100 page work instruction backed up by multiple operating procedures - the whole package will need contracting out via a complicated tender system to the few contractors approved to complete govermental contracts.

I would say give or take a few pence our licence fee wouod go uo to around £50 for a two rod licence just to meet operating costs. 😉

rudd

Site Supporter
You make some good valid points but there are also high costs invooved by going fully electronic.

Level.three approved security centre full of expensive servers,.expensive air conditioning and top end fire fighting system.
A back up system to same specification.
Software - a data base protected by a ton of firewalls etc that need constant attention.
Staff to run system at IT staff salaries.
IT director
IT manager / consultant
A minimum of four analysts
Fire warden / first aid training
HR / admin staff.

Of course being the civil service who struggle to operate a calculator without a 100 page work instruction backed up by multiple operating procedures - the whole package will need contracting out via a complicated tender system to the few contractors approved to complete govermental contracts.

I would say give or take a few pence our licence fee wouod go uo to around £50 for a two rod licence just to meet operating costs. 😉
Thinking about it, tbey would use Goverment Gateway and have most infrastructure in place.
If so would licence attach to driving licence, ni number and passport?

Cobweb

Site Supporter
And you would be obliged to carry all that ID including photo with you at all times on pain of arrest and imprisonment? I don't have and have never applied for passport, and am unlikely to be the only one!

It's all very well having such a costly scheme which falls under the old sledgehammer to crack a nut heading, but how is that actually enforceable on the ground? As you have already mentioned even attempting such a futile exercise would be cost prohibitive

Last edited:

grey

Site Supporter
We buy online and are able to fish within the hour without a paper licence - the electronic licence already exists.

The licence is now the number, not the bit of paper. One day and eight-day licences don't issue a paper licence, yet they are no less legal than a yearly licence.

The paper licence is an expensive, unnecessary system veneered onto one that is cheaper, manageable and practical.

As a stand alone document, paper licence cannot be used as proof of identity (as a passport) and is therefore pointless.

If lost, a replacement licence can be ordered at a cost of £5 - that should be a good base indicator of the additional cost of the EA providing each angler with a paper licence.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
We buy online and are able to fish within the hour without a paper licence - the electronic licence already exists.

The licence is now the number, not the bit of paper. One day and eight-day licences don't issue a paper licence, yet they are no less legal than a yearly licence.

The paper licence is an expensive, unnecessary system veneered onto one that is cheaper, manageable and practical.

As a stand alone document, paper licence cannot be used as proof of identity (as a passport) and is therefore pointless.

If lost, a replacement licence can be ordered at a cost of £5 - that should be a good base indicator of the additional cost of the EA providing each angler with a paper licence.
A good attempt at sophistry, but your argument chooses to ignore the odd relevant factor or two. No one claimed (as far as I am aware) that the licence was proof of identity- I take the view that it is merely physical evidence that a licence has been paid for by the person named therein. Also you have not addressed any issue of consequence, and I invoke Newton's third law in that regard. Who said producing the licence cost the EA anything? Doesn't what we pay cover production costs?

If indeed you are proposing that bankside angling checks are unnecessary, what incentive is there for anyone to buy a licence in the first place? Surely the subsequent drop in income would hurt the EA far more?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Wayhaaaaaay my license has arrived. Tell you what, be careful peeling it off the A4 paper it comes on. My license was stuck good and proper. To the point where I could have easily torn it. Be careful guys. Lovely illustration is that. 👍 C1DD7209-408B-44D1-A185-1E874FC852D1.jpeg

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Had the same problem with mine- peeled it off very carefully yesterday when it arrived. Agree about the illustration

rudd

Site Supporter
Thanks for that!
Found this some years back in John Lewis, loads of credit card holder types of wallets about but could never find an opening type like this. Search card wallet on google.