New fishing rod licence images released

BBear

Site Supporter
Why? Wouldn't you rather your angling tax be spent on protecting and preserving our waters?

Paper licences are completely out of step with the time we are in - if we don't have tax licence on our cars anymore, why do we still have them for angling?
I just like having the licence on principle - don’t like the way that more and more of our everyday lives is being held, recorded and controlled electronically.

as for any savings going back into Angling I only wish that were the case - your road tax analogy for example, do you really think that the savings for that go back to help the motorist? It will just be a saving for the public purse - worthy perhaps with that example since it is an actual tax. I suspect that any saving by not issuing licences will just disappear.

Anyway, it’s not something I would lose sleep over either way and I suspect that eventually you will get your wish.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
phew, that's good, didn't realise.
Hey, I don’t catch owt anyway so, your more than welcome to my license. 🤣🤣. No, seriously mate, thank you for your concern. Can’t be too careful these days can we ? 👍

grey

Site Supporter
I just like having the licence on principle - don’t like the way that more and more of our everyday lives is being held, recorded and controlled electronically.

as for any savings going back into Angling I only wish that were the case - your road tax analogy for example, do you really think that the savings for that go back to help the motorist? It will just be a saving for the public purse - worthy perhaps with that example since it is an actual tax. I suspect that any saving by not issuing licences will just disappear.

Anyway, it’s not something I would lose sleep over either way and I suspect that eventually you will get your wish.
Holding our info electronically is kind of my point, they already hold our info electronically. The paper licence is in addition to electronic database of our information, not instead of.

To produce a paper licence isn't mandatory anymore, just a number required. You can legally fish from the moment you purchase the license, not from when it arrives as many believe.

For one day and seven day licenses, you don't get a paper licence at all, just a number.

So, in theory, the necessary conditions already exist to abandon the paper licence altogether.

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've just been chuntering as I bought mine today. On one of the waters I fish (a large set of gravel pits), you can pike fish with 4 rods given the very low stock. Given that, I buy a 4 rod licence. Except I can't - you have to buy two separate two rod licences. I don't get why when there is a 2 and a 3 rod option, and you can legally fish with 4, why a 4 rod licence doesn't exist.

It's not something which I'm screaming about, but in terms of money, it does seem silly that I will now get posted two separate licences in two separate envelopes with two separate letters and two separate sets of postage.

grey

Site Supporter
I've just been chuntering as I bought mine today. On one of the waters I fish (a large set of gravel pits), you can pike fish with 4 rods given the very low stock. Given that, I buy a 4 rod licence. Except I can't - you have to buy two separate two rod licences. I don't get why when there is a 2 and a 3 rod option, and you can legally fish with 4, why a 4 rod licence doesn't exist.

It's not something which I'm screaming about, but in terms of money, it does seem silly that I will now get posted two separate licences in two separate envelopes with two separate letters and two separate sets of postage.
I know it's called a 'rod licence' but it does feel the EA are using the number of rods you can use as an excuse to weasel more money out of the angler.

The way EA are heading additionally taxing number of rods, it wouldn't surprise me if they are currently considering every rod we use should have a tax disc.

PAB

Site Supporter
Anyone any idea where i can get hold of old E A licences from tried flea bay but cannot find any ?

PAB

Site Supporter
the minnow design is about a year old, it's my current license (which expires 31st March 2021)
just had a look & I have them going back to 2014/15 which was a tench...
20210306_143752.jpg
for sale ?

rudd

Site Supporter
What waste of our money.

How many millions of £s does it cost to send these token bits of paper to anglers per annum?

Just send a number through electronically and put all these unnecessary admin costs into fishing where it best serves the angler.
Bulk post deal, bulk printing - around 45 pence a licence.
When I buy something I do like to own it - keep a copy of electronic receipt on phone but do like receiving my yearly licence.
I then receive club books and after that comes spring. Club tickets and licences all in a licence wallet.