New fishing rod licence images released

‘A reel good design’ - new fishing rod licence images released​

Brand new licence images have been designed and created by artist David Miller.

s300_EA_Rod_Licence_2_rod.png
The 2-rod coarse and trout licence features David Miller's illustration of a golden rudd.

The Environment Agency (EA) has launched new fishing rod licence designs ahead of another popular fishing season.
The new images, designed by artist David Miller, are now available to all anglers looking to renew their licences and to newcomers who are looking to join the sport for the first time. The images this year celebrate some of our most iconic species. The salmon and sea trout licence depicts a vibrant sea trout. A striking golden rudd is depicted on the 2-rod coarse and trout licence and a mighty stalking pike now features on 3-rod coarse and trout licences.

Last summer, the Environment Agency launched a campaign to highlight how fishing offers a fun, healthy and safe way to spend time outdoors and reconnect with nature as well as make use of the known wellbeing benefits of the activity. The Environment Agency is hopeful that the trend is set to continue in 2021 as the public are encouraged to see their licence not only a right to fish but as a licence to chill, a licence to connect with nature, and much more.

Kevin Austin, Deputy Director Agriculture, Fisheries and the Natural Environment at the Environment Agency said:

We are so pleased with David’s beautiful designs for this year’s rod licences. The income we receive from licence sales allows us to invest in fisheries and carry out vital improvements to protect and enhance our much-loved fish populations.
We hope David’s designs encourage even more people to take up fishing and recognise the beauty of our natural environment and fish species.
Rod licence income is funded directly back into the Environment Agency’s fisheries service across England and is crucial for the EA’s continued investment in fisheries improvement projects, supporting healthy fish stocks as well as improvements to angling services.

Rod licence income has also allowed the EA to deliver and invest in vital projects with partners dedicated to opening up rivers for migratory and coarse fish. This includes a flagship collaborative project, DNAire, which will open up over 60km of the river Aire for the first time in 150 years. The installation of fish and eel passes at: Armley, Kirkstall, Newlay and Saltaire are key to this project.

It is set to also provide placements for Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) undergraduates and construction trainees alongside an environmental conservation apprenticeship to help young people secure employment across the sector.

Enjoy fishing and make sure you fish legally. Annual rod fishing licences are available from only £30. It’s easy to buy online. Get a fishing licence on GOV.UK.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I'm sending off for mine right now! (runs out 31st March)

legs230258

Site Supporter
I sent off for my licence renewal from the www.gov.uk/get-a-fishing-licence email reminder i received from the Enviroment Agency three weeks ago. My licence came back within a week and apart from the 04/03/2022 expiry date is the same as last....it has minnows on it !

Rick123

Site Supporter
Just done mine all on-line, not sure if i get any proof of purchase now-days. £20 for an old man like myself :sleep3:

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Just done mine all on-line, not sure if i get any proof of purchase now-days. £20 for an old man like myself :sleep3:
I did mine on line, and got a confirmation with my new licence number. I wrote this number on the back of my current licence which expires 31/3/21 a bit before my 70th birthday in April

R0B

I sent off for my licence renewal from the www.gov.uk/get-a-fishing-licence email reminder i received from the Enviroment Agency three weeks ago. My licence came back within a week and apart from the 04/03/2022 expiry date is the same as last....it has minnows on it !
Mine too, expiring Jan 2022.

The minnows obviously a reflection of my meagre angling achievements in 2020

grey

Site Supporter
What waste of our money.

How many millions of £s does it cost to send these token bits of paper to anglers per annum?

Just send a number through electronically and put all these unnecessary admin costs into fishing where it best serves the angler.

davepellet

the minnow design is about a year old, it's my current license (which expires 31st March 2021)
just had a look & I have them going back to 2014/15 which was a tench...
20210306_143752.jpg

grey

Site Supporter
I quite like having an actual licence.
Why? Wouldn't you rather your angling tax be spent on protecting and preserving our waters?

Paper licences are completely out of step with the time we are in - if we don't have tax licence on our cars anymore, why do we still have them for angling?

Last edited:

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
the minnow design is about a year old, it's my current license (which expires 31st March 2021)
just had a look & I have them going back to 2014/15 which was a tench...
20210306_143752.jpg
After my license holder got wet I only have these two left. 😫😫😫 CA21E328-0F3C-465A-BF07-AC0008E15C8E.jpeg

grey

Site Supporter
Sorted. 👍 Just need to catch summat now 🙄🤣🤣
That's just enough information for anyone to use your licence as their own - maybe a MOD should remove?

Take care everyone, this is an official government document and can be used as proof of identity. Not just licence dodgers who can take advantage of info like this, fraudsters are capable of cloning you ID if they manage to couple this with one other form of proof of identity.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robwooly

I really like them and like fishing art. Remember folks the artist David Miler would have spent days(probably weeks) doing each original painting. I'd imagine there's kids and new anglers inspired by seeing these little cards with great artwork on them.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
That's just enough information for anyone to use your licence as their own - maybe a MOD should remove?

Take care everyone, this is an official government document and can be used as proof of identity. Not just licence dodgers who can take advantage of info like this, fraudsters are capable of cloning you ID if they manage to couple this with one other form of proof of identity.
Not all numbers are showing pal.